It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:41 pm 

I'm a little slow here. Is there a linking book in my hood? I haven't been able to find it.
BTW: I forget what the markers look like and are they in my city or just the main city?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:38 pm 

budsie175 wrote:
I'm a little slow here. Is there a linking book in my hood? I haven't been able to find it.
BTW: I forget what the markers look like and are they in my city or just the main city?

There are linking books in your hood. They're in the same room that you link to the Nexus. Look closer to the walls.

The markers are in both the main city and your private city.

What is the DRC up to? Visit http://drcsite.org/home.php to find out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Kierra wrote:
hm, now that seems like a more likely scenario....

Next time y'all see a DRC member, please be sure to ask them these questions. ;)

I did just that... and I'm even more confused now.

Dr. Kodama popped into the GoG earlier today to announce the Liaison resignations, but just before that we managed to get in some questions.

Quote:
(01/17 17:40:40) Dr. Kodama: Enjoying the Great Zero?
(01/17 17:40:54) Joel: Wait, you know about the books Yeesha made that link us to the Great Zero?
(01/17 17:41:36) Joel: Why DO we have books Yeesha made in our Bevins, anyhow?
(01/17 17:42:03) Dr. Kodama: Yeesha seems to be able to do what she wants with Books.
(01/17 17:42:19) Dr. Kodama: We make them available and she sometimes alters them.
(01/17 17:42:39) Dr. Kodama: We don't know why or don't know how...
(01/17 17:43:12) Joel: Wait, you made a book available to somewhere in the city by... placing a book in the city? THEN Yeesha altered it? I'm confused, a bit.
(01/17 17:44:07) Dr. Kodama: Yeesha altered it before we placed it.
(01/17 17:44:32) Joel: Where was the original planned location for the book?
(01/17 17:45:12) Dr. Kodama: I'm going to start.

At this point Kodama went into his announcement about the Liaisons.

So now I'm confused.

Where'd they get all the books?

If they got the books in the Nexus, why not leave them there?

What exactly were they planning on doing with the books BEFORE Yeesha altered them?

If the books just fell into their lap -from- Yeesha, then does this mean that the DRC and Yeesha are now, essentially, working hand-in-hand? If they are, wouldn't this be as big an announcement as the Liaison thing? (OOC: Granted, I crashed shortly after he finished his announcement, so maybe I missed something, but...)

The wording implies that they had linking books to the Observatory and then Yeesha turned them into instancing books at which point they decided to put them into the neighborhoods rather than some other, unknown place.

That's just really too convienent for me to believe there isn't some form of organization going on behind the scenes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:08 am 

Well from what I can tell the books in the Nexus don't have Yeesha's symbol on them.
The DRC probably planned to place the book in the nexus for us to use and when they went to put it in there the person that did it noticed the Yeesha symbol on the book and took it back to ask the DRC what to do with the book now. The DRC probably figured there was no need to put it in the Nexus since everyone was going to get a copy on thier bookshelves anyway, so they just put the book in the hoods. Notice the Great Zero book that IS in the nexus has no Yeesha symbol on it.

I think Yeesha is messing with the DRC. Showing that she is the one with the power to do what she wants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:41 am 
Obduction Backer

But that implies that there weren't GZ Observation books in the Nexus to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:49 am 

The DRC have access to the 'inner workings' of the Nexus, suggesting they can add or remove books at will.

Most likely they took it out for safety reasons and Yeesha messed with it while they were looking! :)

Apart from that the DRC have always had access to the GZ, so its possible that they just know a way of shutting of access to books that are in the Nexus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Ok. So why remove them in the first place? Why not just disable the link in the Nexus like it's always been?

Second complication: When we're in our Bevin, aren't we -already- in our own instance? So, when we link through that book, what are we doing, going to a second instance? Or are we linking into the same age?

I'm sorry, but... this is asking me to believe that the DRC removed the books from the Nexus (for some unfathomable reason), were planning on putting them back INTO the Nexus after having just removed them, but instead Yeesha traipsed along, altered the books, and the DRC went "Huh," and put them into our Bevins instead.

Or, there's the possibility that the DRC and Yeesha are working together.

The second seems far more simple, and doesn't depend on a string of coincidences.

Occam's Razor, 'n all that.

(Don't even get me started on how the Nexus itself is linking to instances without having Yeesha symbols on them. This linking stuff is really starting to hurt my head.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:06 pm 
This has confused me too. Not the book issue...I still can't get in at all...but the position of the DRC vis-à-vis Yeesha and vice versa. The blurb that I read now says that the DRC is inviting you all in to help with the restoration. Last time this was definitely not the case--the DRC wasn't inviting *anyone* in. All these people were just turning up, having come through the Cleft via Zandi, and the DRC had to make accommodations to deal with them. Has that now changed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:27 pm 

I think, from the DRC's perspective, it has a lot to do with adapting to the situation as it is. The explorers are here now and, for the most part, they cannot be stopped from returning so the DRC are making the best of it.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to issues of motive. Yeesha's 'plans' for the cavern are one thing and the DRC's are another. Some explorers are choosing sides, some aren't. It's sad that an agreement of some sort can't be worked out between the DRC and Yeesha but have you heard some of her rants? Even if they did get her to a table, I doubt any good would come of it. She's rather incoherent most of the time anyway.

At least the DRC are taking precautions with the cavern where I imagine Yeesha would just open it all up at once and pray that the spirit of the Bahro protect everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:05 pm 

slightperil wrote:
The DRC have access to the 'inner workings' of the Nexus, suggesting they can add or remove books at will.

Most likely they took it out for safety reasons and Yeesha messed with it while they were looking! :)

Apart from that the DRC have always had access to the GZ, so its possible that they just know a way of shutting of access to books that are in the Nexus?

I thought I read somewhere that the books "locked" in the nexus were "originals" not "copies" and that no one to date, including the DRC could access them. Can someone help with my thought process? Maybe I dreamt this theory, but I could have swore I read it somewhere (officially).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2