It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:47 pm 

I was really excited about getting this new age. To get there, look around etc... When I was finally able to do so after all that big ta do earlier and was very disappointed. I come back and not only is the age hood specific, i.e I can't explore alone, but I also can't "play" it alone. This is real annoying to me as I am mainly a solo player. Doing "group" activities is really not my thing and I find it a massive pain to do it. But one of the few people I know a like in the game got me to play do it with several other people (whom I did not know) and I nearly got bent.

This whole situation was ridiculous to the extreme. Trying to coordinate all this different people with different intenet access, and thus lag, computer types, thus dropping frames and not being ables to see the chat, so not knowing what to do, and even people who don't primarily speak English all trying to do this, I almost burst a blood vessel.

To me this is NOT fun! I was looking forward to playing Myst online and doing ages etc.. (and sure maybe if I feel like looking around with 1 or two friends) But I do not wish to continue if they keep shoving the "group" activity aspect of it down my throat. And making it so that those who do not want to pal around in massively laggy annoying groups gets left out of the game play etc....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

The five journey ages are all playable solo, compared to a single age thus far that encourages teamwork. Come on, there's ONE age out of everything available that requires people to work together instead of going off to hide in their own private instances (maybe two when Tsogal arrives). Is that really enough to be worried about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:20 pm 

I won't even address the single vs. multiplayer issue, as it has already been beaten to a pulp elsewhere. ;)

My suggestion to reduce the "traffic" that troubles you would be to create your own private Bevin (or use a friend's) so that you can go to the Age in peace and quiet, to work out the solution by yourself if you want privacy.

Then you can invite your own friends to come and help you whenever you are ready. This will allow you to have more control of the environment while you work on the Age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well in my opinion :shock: , I kind enjoyed it. Especially when I was with the UO hood watching sooo many there and several trying to "help out" so to speak. "Let me call them" - "No!!!" "Well then maybe we need to do this - or this" -- LOL :lol: (and others that just linked in and kept hitting the cloths) I was having fun just watching, however I did want to see what was behind 'Door Number ONE'..

I have a feeling that since we are 'still in BETA' that it may have been an experiment on the DRC's (Cyan's) part to see what we would do with a puzzle such as this one. I personally think that we all did very well. For the most part everyone worked really well together.

Well now to wait for Tsogal :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:47 pm 

Maybe it's just me but isn't it completely silly to play a MMO when you dislike social life like that? Are you even aware what a MMO packs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:59 pm 

haha exactly, you said it all ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:14 pm 

Saruk wrote:
I have a feeling that since we are 'still in BETA' that it may have been an experiment on the DRC's (Cyan's) part to see what we would do with a puzzle such as this one. I personally think that we all did very well. For the most part everyone worked really well together.
That's what I was thinking. I think it was Cyan testing to see our reactions to a teamwork puzzle. I rather liked the teamwork idea, that's why I've wanted to play Uru Live for so long. It wasn't executed very well, mind you, but it was a good idea.

I think there should be ages that require teamwork, maybe not to this extreme though. I'm thinking certain ages that need 2, maybe 3, people to make things easier. Also, I believe teamwork ages should merely be for extra content, and not required for story purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

FreeLanZer wrote:
Maybe it's just me but isn't it completely silly to play a MMO when you dislike social life like that? Are you even aware what a MMO packs?

Except we constantly hear that Uru is not just another MMO, and so telling people that MMO = social play does not mean that Uru = social play. I like the multiplayer puzzles, but telling people "Uru isn't for you" doesn't seem like a good way to build a strong customer base unless you really do want Uru to be "just another MMO."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:32 pm 

Hyperius wrote:
I think there should be ages that require teamwork, maybe not to this extreme though. I'm thinking certain ages that need 2, maybe 3, people to make things easier. Also, I believe teamwork ages should merely be for extra content, and not required for story purposes.

Yes, more of what I was thinking. I am not saying I am totally against playing with other people. Its nice for when you have 1 or 2 people that u like hanging with to do stuff together but on this scale is can get frustrating. It annoyed me a bit and I felt bad for the one guy who was clearly not of the English speaking persuasion trying so hard to get what was going. U just wanted him to get it and not be left out but it took him well over an hour to do so.

The coordination of it all was tough and it did try my patience. And as much as I am disappointed that Delin is not private and such I am trying to get into the group aspect of it a bit. I just want to be having to do it ALL the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with you. I like to play solo myself and was expecting the "alone or together" as more like doing the things with 2, 3 or 4 people. Not more than that. I enjoy playing with others but not in a crowdy place where you can hardly speak and can be hear. I know it is a MMO, but coming from Cyan, I was expecting something different than the others MMO. That's why I don't play Guild War, Second Life and so on... I like the Myst atmosphere... and I want to play a Myst-like game by myself or with a couple of friends... not 50 people running around...

I like what they did with Gallery. There you can go to the city with just a few people. That was the way I thought they had to do it for every Age. But maybe they are trying our patience...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Zardoz wrote:
Except we constantly hear that Uru is not just another MMO, and so telling people that MMO = social play does not mean that Uru = social play. I like the multiplayer puzzles, but telling people "Uru isn't for you" doesn't seem like a good way to build a strong customer base unless you really do want Uru to be "just another MMO."

Uru isn't just another MMO, it is very different from other MMOs, but it IS still an MMO.

Uru isn't for everybody, and will never be for everybody. It is a niche game. The moment it starts trying to cater to everybody is the moment it ceases to be special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, I tried. I was very patient. It was a horrible experiance. I will not do it again. People bickered. They chatted about thier clothing, etc., that had nothing to do with the puzzle. I waited by my cloth to do my part. Someone wqalked into me an d pressed the cloth out of sequence, then teleported out. RUDE! Then it appeared that some who had already been throug the door were standing by the door rather than manning the cloth's so the rest could go through. What! Did they want to go through again?

This confirmed my fears about puzzles that require multi8-player cooperation. I saw little of it. I go back to my statement on another thread. I will take the lone path!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here is my take on this, from the point of view of a player who loves to solve puzzles solo but also recognizes that there is room for all sorts of puzzles, as well as our creative, constructive responses to things that are enjoyable for many but are not our cup of tea.

I want Cyan to bring us as many puzzles in as many variations, types, styles, levels of difficulty, big ones, small ones, long ones, short ones, subtle ones, obvious ones, simple ones, diabolbically difficult ones, single-player, dual-player, hood versus hood, trio, and massively multiplayer as their genius can provide us with. I won't like them all, I may hate some, but I don't want them to restrict their thinking based on my own single preference or even the preference of my particular "demographic".

Of course, some will not like this new kind of puzzle but others just love it, really love it. There will be many who absolutely hate it, at least at first impression. This would be a perfect time for creating a Quiet Contemplation Hood, as someone suggested -- A private hood where you can invite those you know already or whom you meet as you go along who wish to explore a new 'hood related age at their leisure with a "no spoilers" rule. Who knows - doing it this way might turn you into a lover of the multipuzzle as you put together a crackerjack team of like-minded solvers.

Again, rather than lobby Cyan to avoid multiplayer puzzles that are required for game progress, let's try to think of really creative ways that allow us to experience the game as much as possible in the manner of our preference without denying either Cyan or others their particular aspect of joy as well.

Any other ideas for the less extroverted among us?

nerfy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good points, Nerfy, really good ones...

But i still think that Cyan have to "listen" to what people like or dislike in the game so they can adjust it for the better. If the majority of players are enjoying the multiplayer aspect of the game, ok! Lets go on with it... But a lot of Myst fans that just like to explore/immerse themselves in the Ages will not like this twist to acomplish things in the game. And, before someone replies, don't come with that old cliche that "stand by the side and let the others do the tricks". That is not what i want... As I said, do things with others is not a problem to me, but do things with a lot of people could be...

And there is another problem that they should consider:

People with bad connection speed/latency are a trouble for multiplayer puzzles. Take me as an example. I let 15 people waiting down there for almost an hour to do the puzzle just cus I don't act fast enough like the others due my connection, and I crash a lot when I'm with more than 10 people around. If I'm alone or with just a few people, I never crash. If Uru Live is meant to be playable for millions around the world, they have to consider this aspect: not all will have 10 Mb speed, less than 50 miliseconds ping and whatever is needed to be called "a standart connection" this days.

Last edited by Uruboo on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cyan did listen. They had a survey. By having solo and collaborative ages, Cyan have delivered. Puzzles to be solved together have been planned since at least May.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next