It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:58 am 

MartG wrote:
Delin was fine when first released - everyone wanted to have a go at it. However even a few days later it is getting very difficult to get enough people in one instance of Delin to have a chance of solving it.

A couple of months down the line the chances of getting sufficient people together to solve it will be very small :cry:

I don't know about that, I think there will always be plenty of people willing to help out. I know I will be.

For instance, when I help open the door 5 times in one day with numerous people and with group sizes ranging from 4 to 8, I enjoyed every moment of it.

Guess I just really like this puzzle! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:31 pm 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
I realize there are multiple threads going on about this issue. I posted something with regards to the issue
here
for your reading pleasure :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:37 pm 

Ah man, feel like im stalking Overdrive now!

Arg! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:44 pm 

Oh boy....... :?

Did you not read into what Cyan said? Ages will change, and so will the puzzles. I think I've said all I need to. You want to waste your time heaving in the forums, go for it. Leaves less lag for the rest of us. :idea:

"Live together, die alone." - Jack Sheppard, LOST
KI# 00265224
Humble member of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni

http://vormaen.deviantart.com/
For scraps by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Seems to me the solution to this dilemma where some want to solve in group and others as an individualist is quite simple. For those who have a need or desire to have others along to explore an age and solve puzzles, they use only link books that appear in the Bevin/hoods. For those that want to explore an age and solve the puzzles themselves without having to depend on others, they use a book that appears on a pedestal on their Relto.

The timing of a puzzle like Delin could simply be changed depending on what instance was chosen. Every age could then be enjoyed by all based on what their personal taste is. And the consequences could still be different for each group, single explorer or group explorer. I would add, this seems to me much more in keeping with the expressed spirit of "alone or together, decide" without any one being left out exploring a new age and solving it.

I certainly don't agree with the attitude expressed by many that if a person does not want to explore in a group, and solve puzzles in group, that they should not be on an MMO like this. These individualists who are comfortable with themselves enough to explore alone and use their brain powers alone, also represent a major financial contributor to the gaming industry and to the developers I should think, just as do those who need to have others present. There is room for both and the ages can accommodate both, technically.

Most puzzles have sequencing and primarily timing elements that could be adjusted dependent on the instance of the age chosen.

All could be satisfied, IMO, the rugged individualist and the colony.

Or perhaps the way this has caused some dissension is intentional with the developers. If so, I am not sure how I feel about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Some puzzles to be solved alone, some that must be solved together was the intention, back before URU Live was even in beta. Our dissention has nothing to do with Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:00 pm 

After my experiences in Eder Delin, I wish there were a single-player option for this. Combine unreliability of the puzzle itself, people's limited attention span, communication problems and lag, and you produce a way to completely defeat the beauty of the Age.

In theory it should be possible to do this puzzle with four people. In fact it proved at least very difficult. We never managed it, for various reasons. One problem was that when I touched one of the cloths, I couldn't leave but automatically turned around and touched it again. That meant the whole attempt had to be abandoned.

I like the idea of multi-person puzzles, but they should be designed to be more fault-tolerant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Some puzzles to be solved alone, some that must be solved together was the intention, back before URU Live was even in beta. Our dissention has nothing to do with Cyan.

Where is that stated by the developers? Please provide the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lord Chaos wrote:
Quote:
In theory it should be possible to do this puzzle with four people. In fact it proved at least very difficult. We never managed it, for various reasons. One problem was that when I touched one of the cloths, I couldn't leave but automatically turned around and touched it again. That meant the whole attempt had to be abandoned.

If that's the session I'm thinking about, I was there also, manning cloth #3. Yes, it did take us quite a few tries. And we finally got it, but only after several of us closed our Skype conference, and after our "director" at the cave door noticed that his PC had unknowingly launched Norton Anti-Virus during the whole process, and was adding to the lag. Once the door opened, you should have seen the crowd running for the cave!

By the way, I've read that you MUST allow each cloth-touch animation to finish before attempting to touch the next cloth in the sequence. We were rushing things, and that didn't help.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sorry, RW. I'll leave the challenge to you - reading through all of the posts on the DRC forum. You have to bear in mind the early survey too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I've read that you MUST allow each cloth-touch animation to finish before attempting to touch the next cloth in the sequence.
I've not been part of a group that has done that. Each time it's been call, press, respond, call, press, respond.

I've not been part of a group where the doorman has said every number in one line, so maybe you have to wait under those circumstances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

There are just a lot of bugs...

When those are fixed I believe there won't be any frustration anymore...
We'll just have to wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the Delin puzzle is just still buggy and takes way too long to set up as well as being too time sensitive. The other night we started with 3 people just mapping the symbols. One more arrived and we started to get serious about solving the puzzle. A few PM's got enough people to put one on each symbol, but by that time it have been over 3 hours since the first 3 people arrived. And then it was time for 2 of us to log out leaving the others to send more PM's and basically start over. I'm told that they eventually solved it, but guess what? I missed it!

All this trouble takes the fun out out of it.

Last edited by Donahoo on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think you can't respond until your touch animation has finished. So the "call, press, respond" procedure forces everything to serialize the right way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Sorry, RW. I'll leave the challenge to you - reading through all of the posts on the DRC forum. You have to bear in mind the early survey too.

Rusty, it is not a challenge. Your statement implied a definitive knowledge provided by the developer that some ages were going to be with intent designed for only group solutions and others for individual approaches.

If this is so, then that information needs to be placed and pinned where all who are engaged with URU LIVE, or intend to join GameTap to be a part of URU Live, can clearly read that CYAN, the developer, fully intended from the start that some ages were not for the individual explorer.

If that information is provided and all are made aware of it, there is no basis for anyone expressing dissatisfaction or disaffection that an age has been released that can only be solved in group.

Additionally, nor is there then any basis for those that only want to play only in groups to tell those who wish to work and solve the ages solo, that there is no place for them in an MMO or that they should go elsewhere as has occurred.

Again, if it is clearly declared by the developer, that the developer, fully intended this approach, then no one, whether a group player or an individualist has a reason to post dissatisfaction and feed dissention with what has been released ever again.

Some of the comments stated are due to some not knowing that some ages were only for group players. I myself did not know this. There are times I wish to be in group and there are other times, after spending a day amongst hundreds of people and voices, I wish to work on and solve a puzzle alone, as my form of R&R. Clearly, I will have to evaluate as rollout continues how much content is geared to the group player and how much to the individual.

Certainly those who prefer to go it alone need to clearly have this information so that if they joined GameTap ONLY for new content promised in URU Live, they can drop their subscription and find other developers who develop and market games for and to the single player.

Last edited by RW. on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next