It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:18 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A little fed up
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:14 pm 

Im not trying to whine, I love UrU to bits, but Im having problems with the fact every time they add something to the game the loadtimes seem to take forever and also if something happens with lag that forces me back to desktop I never can get back in the game till next morning, Im really having troubles here and cant even complete my markers because of performance issues, fix faster cyan i know you can do it baby :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:36 pm 

Just my two cents worth---
I have not had any problems, none, nadda. I know many are having problems and I do not want to make light of those that are but... it could be hardware related. Perhaps its time to get a better computer. Please do not misunderstand me, a problem is always an issue that sometimes is not easily solved but in many(most) cases it turns out to be not the makers fault but the computer on which the program is run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:40 pm 

I feel your pain... Until Uru was like that for me on my old PC.

Please don't shoot the bearer of bad tidings, but since there are many people who have quick downloads and no noticeable lag, I suspect that your connection speed and/or your PC may be the culprit, and Cyan can't fix that for you. :(

It might be worth a try to post your PC system and connection information here, and see if someone can help you find a way to coax a faster performance from your PC. Many people in these forums are quite good at PC troubleshooting and tweaking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:53 pm 

I will add my two cents also, but it is probably worth a lot less now.

I was with another person in their hood because they had a problem with some kind of yellow pixels appearing. We were trying to duplictae the problem.

Although the other person was still seeing the yellow dots or whatever, I did not see anything wrong. I told her it was possibly because of her computer.

My son, (because I know as much about computers as I would know about flying the space shuttle), added 1 Gig of RAM to my computer which apparently helps in Uru, or so he told me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:53 pm 

amd 64 3.5 cpu
2 gb cossair low latancy memory
6800gt xfx graphics
160 gb hardrive
DsL 3 mb/s

i think this rig should run it good imho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can tell you that connection speed is very important. I found out the hard way. I just moved and had a 768Kbps DSL connection (that was as fast as I could get there). The DSL wasn't available where I moved to so I had to get the cable modem. I now run at 7.5Mbps. Man what a difference. When there are downloads, it's still faster than when I was using the DSL and without any downloads. :lol:
The faster connection gives the appearancefeeling that my PC is running faster.. Wooooo Hooooo

Anyway, that may be part of your problem :wink: (my 2 cents worth.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here you can check your connectionspeed with GameTap (Washington, DC):
http://www.speedtest.net/
It will give you a global impression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:05 pm 

Tiaan wrote:
amd 64 3.5 cpu
2 gb cossair low latancy memory
6800gt xfx graphics
160 gb hardrive
DsL 3 mb/s

i think this rig should run it good imho

Yes, system wise this looks good. What driver version are you using for graphic card? Also, in many cases its not the graphics card but the sound card that crashes systems. What do you have there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:20 pm 

Sorry for the double post
I checked my upload-download speeds for my system. I am in Arkansas. The closest server resulted in: down-14304kbps, up-1088kbps
Paris: down-3126kbps, up-1061kbps
So you can see it greatly depends on the servers you are connect to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know what Tiaan is saying. I have a pretty god piece of equipment but have problems also in game. The main issue here is "connection speed". It doesn't matter if you have a Core 2-double-triple-duo processor or 10 gigs of RAM. You gotta have a nice connection speed. Unfortunatly, I don't have one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:13 pm 

Tiaan wrote:
DsL 3 mb/s

3.5 might be what you pay for, it might not be what you get. Furthermore, in all MMO, it's not so much the bandwidth (3.5 max in your case) but the latency (harder to measure but try pingme.exe, search for it on these forums).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:23 am 

i was having some issues with loading times too...my comp isn't as good as yours...and after i did my regularly scheduled defrag, the next time i went on uru (happened to be the day after a big update) the load times were pretty reasonable.

i'd say do a defrag and see if that makes a difference.

also, i don't have anything else running (because the uru downloads are so big to begin with) that i don't absolutely need...only uru, irfanview, virus/firewall. sometimes i keep ie running...that's rare tho. and i definitely make sure i exit msn messenger...that can go wonky and really screw uru up!

it's already been mentioned about isp and speeds...

another thing is, regardless of what type of connection you have (cable or dsl) there may be problems with the lines that are causing interference. i'd been having intermittent problems with tv and internet for a year. i finally had a fit on them and demanded they replace all the lines from the pole to the house (they'd never found any problems inside on all the tech calls). once they did that, i've been running great on uru.

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:39 am 

Another thing you might check is how much free space you have on your hard drive. This is gonna sound kinda weird, but it is true. No matter how much system memory you have, your CPU will still write some to your hard drive. If it's over 80% full, that will slow your system way down. Both for downloading and lag. If your graphics card doesn't have much of it's own memory onboard, it gets written to your hard drive. So if your sound, video, and CPU are all trying to read and write to your hard drive, and it doesn't have much spare room, you get a big bottle kneck.

There are ways around this, but it gets real technical real fast. The main thing is, try to get as much off your hard drive as possible. Then do a defrag and you should see a difference.

BTW, to see what you HD looks like capacity-wise. Go to Windows Explorer, right click on the C drive and click properties.

LR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:40 am 

Wow, joclyn, will you come and yell at the people to replace our cable too? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:00 pm 

It could be all or none of those things. Here is a great place to go to for diagnostics, speed tests, a other reliable tools...plus the most informative FAQ and forum I have ever found.

http://www.broadbandreports.com

(it is also known as dslreports.com, but it covers all broadband solutions)

Here's a site that will scan your computer and tell you what to fix, update, and what is running in the background. Completely trustworthy... but READ as you go through things there.

http://www.pcpitstop.com

Tim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next