It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Veralun wrote:
Here you can check your connectionspeed with GameTap (Washington, DC):
http://www.speedtest.net/
It will give you a global impression.

Veralun, thank you so much for this link. I think it has pinpointed a problem for me.

Can anyone tell me why my uploading takes so much more time than my downloading??? Shouldn't they be about the same?

Downloading: 3180 kbps Uploading: 366 kbps

nerfy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:34 pm 

Actually that's pretty normal - download speeds on DSL are always faster than upload because the connection is Asymmetric.

I'm sure someone else can explain this far more simply than me but for starters there's some info here:

http://www.broadbandinfo.com/internet-connections-101/speed-test/upload-download-speed.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

:)
The upload speed is always lower than the download speed.
The more down and upload speed the more you pay for it.

Downloading is the process of copying files to your computer from a remote location (for example a server). Viewing a website downloads image and text files to your computer from a server (across the Internet).

Uploading is the process of copying files from your computer to a remote location.

The time it takes to download or upload a file is affected by;

-the amount of data being copied (file size)
-how the computer is connected to the Internet (e.g. dial-up modem, wireless, satellite, ADSL etc.)
-how many other people are uploading/downloading at the same time (Internet traffic)

The proportion between download and upload is about 8 : 1

Hope this answers your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

It does, thanks!

:squish:

nerf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:30 am 

Maggot wrote:
I will add my two cents also, but it is probably worth a lot less now.

I was with another person in their hood because they had a problem with some kind of yellow pixels appearing. We were trying to duplictae the problem.

Although the other person was still seeing the yellow dots or whatever, I did not see anything wrong. I told her it was possibly because of her computer.

My son, (because I know as much about computers as I would know about flying the space shuttle), added 1 Gig of RAM to my computer which apparently helps in Uru, or so he told me.

Just to chime in and give 2 cents worth...

I have a pretty beefy machine and going from 1 gig to 2 gigs of RAM made a BIG difference in performance with Uru... I was quite surprised (and I was adding RAM for another app, not Uru)... I run at 1680x150 res with all the goodies cranked up and everything runs great (except lag, which is not related).... so even if this is not the issue at hand here, adding RAM is a good thing with this app...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2