It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:14 pm 

astro wrote:
Sorry if we take the thread too far away from the original topic.

Hey, getting off the original subject is no problem at all to me. I actually have the same trouble you're describing anyway. That's the reason why I don't go into the populated areas of the city any more than I have to.

I'll tell you you guys though, I'm having another strange problem that may or may not be related. I only notice it in GameTap, and thankfully not much while playing Uru though the GameTap logo and the Cyan logo both do it at the beginning. My connection (or maybe my computer) has frequent pauses during games, when opening GameTap and while watching GameTap TV if I don't wait for the shows to download completely first. (I've been watching Sam and Max!) I ran all my virus/spybot checks, checked all my drivers and updated where needed. I checked my nVidia settings, no problem there, even found a better driver for my monitor! I turn off everything running that isn't needed (printer, scanner, graphics tablet, etc.) and I still get the same pauses. It's driving me batty. I just tried playing "Zork: Grand Inquisitor" and it ran so poorly I had to quit. :cry: Is it possible the issue is my audio card? I'm using a four year old Compaq Presario that's seen many upgrades over the years, only I've never upgraded the soundcard. The audio stutters frequently, sometimes sounding like a skipping record.

Any advice is welcome!

-Bonnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:53 pm 

bpgisme wrote:
astro wrote:
Sorry if we take the thread too far away from the original topic.

Hey, getting off the original subject is no problem at all to me. I actually have the same trouble you're describing anyway. That's the reason why I don't go into the populated areas of the city any more than I have to.

I'll tell you you guys though, I'm having another strange problem that may or may not be related. I only notice it in GameTap, and thankfully not much while playing Uru though the GameTap logo and the Cyan logo both do it at the beginning. My connection (or maybe my computer) has frequent pauses during games, when opening GameTap and while watching GameTap TV if I don't wait for the shows to download completely first. (I've been watching Sam and Max!) I ran all my virus/spybot checks, checked all my drivers and updated where needed. I checked my nVidia settings, no problem there, even found a better driver for my monitor! I turn off everything running that isn't needed (printer, scanner, graphics tablet, etc.) and I still get the same pauses. It's driving me batty. I just tried playing "Zork: Grand Inquisitor" and it ran so poorly I had to quit. :cry: Is it possible the issue is my audio card? I'm using a four year old Compaq Presario that's seen many upgrades over the years, only I've never upgraded the soundcard. The audio stutters frequently, sometimes sounding like a skipping record.

Any advice is welcome!

-Bonnie

Can you test something for me?

go to http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm and download the RAD Game Tools. Then navigate to C:\Program Files\GameTap\volumes\games\140000150\data\avi\ and open one of the files there. Tell me if you get the same stuttering...

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:54 am 

Hi Maratanos...

I did as you asked and I see no stuttering or pauses at all.

-Bonnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:34 am 

So basically we are saying this "multi-user environment" works great as long as you stay away from areas where people can gather. I get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:54 am 
Obduction Backer

We're saying this environment works great as long as you avoid BIG HUGE amounts of people. If you're in a group of, say, 20 or less, you're alright. I've also noticed that lag in the city is reduced as long as the 40 people aren't all clustered together in the exact same spot.. if they're spread out in smaller groups around the city, its OK.

But honestly, what would you NEED a group of 20+ together in one spot for anyway? You certainly can't keep track of a conversation with a group that big (trust me, I've tried.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5