It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, while I'm not a huge fan of Delin, I have to say I'm extremely pleased overall with the rate of new content release. Would I like for it to be faster? Sure. But as it is I have enough to explore-any more and I'd probably give up when I couldn't decide what new age to visit first! (or second or third....) :wink:

Just remember, however hard you think we work, Cyan is working harder. Don't complain about not being able to play new content until you've been in their position (think about it, programming, debugging, and listening to the whining of us players!)

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:10 pm 

Sharaya wrote:
Am I the only one who is happy with the way things have been going?

Not at all. I've been very happy with the pace of new content in this first month (since pre-launch on December 20th).

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

protoomega wrote:
Just remember, however hard you think we work, Cyan is working harder. Don't complain about not being able to play new content until you've been in their position (think about it, programming, debugging, and listening to the whining of us players!)

I've done that, am doing that. Well, everything except for listening to whining players, but I've listened to whining clients. And yes, it's very difficult!

As far as I'm concerned, Cyan has held up their word for content release. I think it was Rand who said once that something little may be opened every day, something bigger usually once a week, and we'll get something really big, usually a new Age, every month. And I have a lot of fun everytime I get the chance to get into Uru. (I'd didn't really enjoy the Eder Delin puzzle, but I had loads of fun just getting in and walking through and exploring the Age.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:48 pm 

He said little things daily, new areas weekly, big story progressions monthly, new ages once every 3-4 months. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:51 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Rand's comment surprised me. It was for Ubisoft's Uru Live that they were promising monthly new content with at least three times the staff. This time around under GameTap they had been only promising regular new content (i.e. a non-specific time interval) until Rand actually said monthly. I'm not holding him to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:18 pm 

Perhaps the new monthly content is what the sparklies are representing?

Just a thought.... :)

-Bonnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

I found a couple of links. Maybe "A new Age EVERY month" is a little bit exaggerated, but here's what a couple of them actually said:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/28/joystiq-interviews-rand-miller-of-cyan-worlds/

Quote:
What's your schedule for releasing new content?

Rand Miller: That's a good one. A decent sized release every month. If you're going to be paying the bill every month, you're going to want something new every month. So we would love to release a huge age every month, but that's too much to bite off right now.

Basically [we'll release] something big enough that we can to tease you with it, and you don't want to miss it every month. But beyond that, we're going to make changes every day. There are little things: little switches that we'll throw on and off, little story elements, little content elements go that will happen on a daily, large ones on a weekly, and big ones on a monthly [basis]. Where our self-contained episodes will probably be almost like a quarter-based thing.

http://uruobsession.com/?page=Interview%20With%20Doug%20McBride

Quote:
That doesn't really answer your question though, but rather gives an idea of what Cyan has been up to since Riven was released. realMyst used what we call the Plasma 1 engine. It has taken a long time to get the foundation for the Plasma 2 engine really settled, but I think we're finally there. Now with that toolset and a stable platform, with the size production team we have now we hope to release a new Age every 2 months or so once Uru goes Live.

So, Rand's direct words were, "A decent sized release every month." and "Basically [we'll release] something big enough that we can to tease you with it, and you don't want to miss it every month." Still, the point is, that subscribing to Gametap even if just for Uru's new content would be well worth it.

And no, I don't think the sparklies can be considered "a decent sized release".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:13 pm 

I meant maybe the sparklies represent say, in this case, the Eder Delin book appearing. If they release another book next month maybe there will appear somewhere in the ages another little sparklie. I don't know... I was just trying to tie the two together somehow and that came up. They did come out a few days apart though, so they're probably totally unrelated. As I say, just a thought...

-Bonnie :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

bpgisme wrote:
I meant maybe the sparklies represent say, in this case, the Eder Delin book appearing. If they release another book next month maybe there will appear somewhere in the ages another little sparklie. I don't know... I was just trying to tie the two together somehow and that came up. They did come out a few days apart though, so they're probably totally unrelated. As I say, just a thought...

-Bonnie :)

Ah, I see. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Where are the "little things daily"?

No complaining. I pretty happy with the progress but just wondering if I'm missing something

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

We're missing the little things daily for the moment. Delin seems to be an absolute pig to fix, assuming that's what's causing the delay to the next new content.

I can think of other things that may have caused Cyan to go quiet, but that to me is the most likely.

Post subject: Office Pool
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:08 pm 

Any one interested in my Office Pool? I will be starting a pool (just for fun, no money exchanged) on the date when Cyan and Gametap pull the plug on this game.

This has all the markings of the first failure by Ubisoft. There is absolutely no better user experience than we experience with the first attempt. I just don't know how they expect anyone to be interested in playing this game while its so difficult to use. Slow transfer times, incredible lag, no real focus on single or multi-player strategies - it remains a glorified chat room with a bad interface. I feel they are not willing to implement a technology that would make the response time more reasonable. Try Second Life, they got it right and have hundreds of thousands of users. The worse thing an application can have is poor response time and they expect people to pay for this?

Anyway I will be starting the pool soon. My first pick date is May 15, 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:13 pm 

I think its a real shame when people like you say things like that, most of us love the game and love the fact that its soon to be out of Beta and into the full game. I for one am looking forward to it not wondering if it will go under...........................shame on you!!!

Ayla in M.O.U.L. KI#00313358

My facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=566883777

Post subject: Re: Office Pool
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

dairyairaz wrote:
Any one interested in my Office Pool? I will be starting a pool (just for fun, no money exchanged) on the date when Cyan and Gametap pull the plug on this game.

This has all the markings of the first failure by Ubisoft.

Yes, because of course announcing an international launch date is something Ubisoft did frequently before pulling the plug. :roll:
dairyairaz wrote:
There is absolutely no better user experience than we experience with the first attempt. I just don't know how they expect anyone to be interested in playing this game while its so difficult to use.

It's getting better all the time. I think the differences between now and December 20 are very noticeable even.
dairyairaz wrote:
Slow transfer times,

I'm using a wireless internet connection over a shared cable internet system and I can download a whole age in less than 5 minutes.
dairyairaz wrote:
incredible lag,

The only time I have lag is when I'm in the city when its full and I'm in a very large group of people. That's expected in any online game such as this. That's why I stick to the neighborhoods or the instanced city.
dairyairaz wrote:
no real focus on single or multi-player strategies

There is only one age that requires multiplayer. All others are single or multi. God forbid players form their own strategies, that might require some thinking on their part.
dairyairaz wrote:
- it remains a glorified chat room with a bad interface.

At the current level of content I say new players should be able to go several weeks or a month before they run out of content to check out currently (heck, I've seen some people spend 3 days or so on Eder Delin and that place is TINY), and keep in mind we're still in beta and the content flow is still rather restrained. It should pick up after beta.
dairyairaz wrote:
I feel they are not willing to implement a technology that would make the response time more reasonable. Try Second Life, they got it right and have hundreds of thousands of users. The worse thing an application can have is poor response time and they expect people to pay for this?

Like I said, my response time is fine. I think your issues may be on your own end, whether it be connection related or hardware related. (You may have the graphic settings up too high, those shadows make mine run slooooow)
dairyairaz wrote:
Anyway I will be starting the pool soon. My first pick date is May 15, 2007.

Gametap has invested far too much money in this project to pull the plug 3 months after launch. Even if it is a SPECTACULAR failure (which all signs point to it won't be.. even in beta with not much going on its still the #1 played game on the Gametap service), I'm willing to bet that Gametap will give it at least a year. If even minimally successful (which it has been more than so far) it will last longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Second Life isn't a game. The environment is plain ugly and it is totally weird because anyone is allowed to build their own egotrip. If that should be an example for Uru... :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next