It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:07 pm 

First off I hope you all know I was being somewhat sarcastic in my previous post, trying to get some conversation going along these lines. I love the game, I was part of the first Beta and I truly hope this is successful, but I have my doubts.

My point about age load times, someone stated 5 minutes, is that most people new to this kind of game will not have the patience for this.

My example of Second Life was not to compare the experience to URU but rather to point out there is existing technology that if applied correctly could solve most of the frustrating lag times we have in this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

dairyairaz wrote:
My point about age load times, someone stated 5 minutes, is that most people new to this kind of game will not have the patience for this.

If someone doesn't have the patience to wait 5 minutes for hours worth of gameplay then Uru will never satisfy them. Heck, an episode of Sam and Max takes longer than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:13 pm 

Well, I for one don't like waiting 2 minutes for Uru to even get past the very first loading time into the player selection screen, then through Relto, the Nexus, and then waiting 10 minutes+ to get into Ae'Gura, only to see that nothing new has been added.

Which is why I only log into Uru when something happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:25 pm 

I think a problem that no one seems to have picked up on is that Uru Live is going live but the majority of the content has already been released. At this point, unless you want to chat with other players, there's no real compelling reason to sign up for it. I know that this will change, of course; just pointing it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Aaron Strauss wrote:
I think a problem that no one seems to have picked up on is that Uru Live is going live but the majority of the content has already been released. At this point, unless you want to chat with other players, there's no real compelling reason to sign up for it. I know that this will change, of course; just pointing it out.

Perhaps that's why it wasn't off Beta until Feb 15th. By then we'll have two new Ages and the rest of the city will be nearly to the point of To D'ni expansion. The Path of the Shell Ages may not be completely implemented they way they've been released so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:13 pm 

More of the city opened
[spoiler]you can get almost to the library now[/spoiler]

something else

[spoiler]2 more markers available[/spoiler]

KI #02487810

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:28 pm 

realy cool is the bridge open yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:31 pm 

dairyairaz said:

Quote:
Second Life, they got it right and have hundreds of thousands of users

Couldn't let that one go by! If you have been in SL with more than a handful in one area, you know what real lag is like! and the hundreds of thousands...yeah, free acccounts bring in quality players. How many times have they had to shut down when griefers have messed up the system?

Thank goodness for Uru. Now off to see what is new today!

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:54 am 
Obduction Backer

dairyairaz wrote:

Only the first time one visits the age. The game does have to be downloaded after all. Each age is downloaded the first time the player visits it. After that, the link-from-age-to-age times are so much faster than they were three years ago that it's not even comparable. (It only takes at most 20 seconds for me to link to even the larger ages.)

Lag has been greatly reduced so as to be almost non-existent in most places. The only real lag problem I'm experiencing right now is when I link into the city and a lot of people are there... Linking-in still takes quite a bit longer than it should when the city is "full." But after arriving, the lag pretty much goes away.

Keep in mind, too, that Myst Online is the number 1 played game on GameTap right now. They aren't going to pull the plug on it any time soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:08 am 

Reverend Vader wrote:
Lag has been greatly reduced so as to be almost non-existent in most places. The only real lag problem I'm experiencing right now is when I link into the city and a lot of people are there... Linking-in still takes quite a bit longer than it should when the city is "full." But after arriving, the lag pretty much goes away.

I still see a lot of lag - or at least a lot of freezes of up to 15-20 seconds in the city, and many more small freezes. I would still call it a big problem. The lag or what the freezes should be called (definition of lag is not simple) also apply to my Relto and other ages though not that much, just small annoying delays. Anyway I don't know how bad it was in earlier stages of URU (before october 2006 in Until URU), but I certainly believe it has become much better than it once was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:37 pm 

These small freezes might be caused by having the graphics turned up too high for your computer to run Uru smoothly. I had some of the same problems. Or it might be your internet connection. There are a few other things that could cause lag which aren't related to the game's code.

P.S. This is no reflection on the quality of your computer. I've seen some people get annoyed when this is suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:25 pm 

The lag has nothing to do with the graphics settings otherwise the lag would be consistent. The lag occurs in the city whenever a new person arrives or multiple people leave and/or arrive. Its an issue that at most times ruins the city experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:42 pm 

faroguy wrote:
P.S. This is no reflection on the quality of your computer. I've seen some people get annoyed when this is suggested.

LOL - I will not get annoyed :-)
I have 2Mbit adsl and a rather strong machine, and have set antialiasing down to the limit where it would begin to stutter at the next level. I can take shadows on and off, and sometimes it makes a small difference and sometimes not, still depending of server busyness.

Regarding city lags / delays it is not only the linking in and out! There is a significant difference between moving close to a group of people compared to moving on a non crowded place.

Sorry if we take the thread too far away from the original topic. The lag issue is an evergreen in URU Live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:58 pm 

The issue of lag in the city is definitely real and it has me worried. They're planning on launching on February 15th and I see the issue with the city as the biggest problem Cyan faces. The freezes when people link in has been a problem with Uru since day one and the fact that they're planning on launching without that problem fixed is most disconcerting (along with other city-related lag issues). On the other hand, it's certainly not a game-breaking problem but one that I'm sure people will point out as a fault.

Then again, it's pretty much standard practice to release beta software as final these days so I hope most people aren't too surprised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Aaron Strauss wrote:
The issue of lag in the city is definitely real and it has me worried. They're planning on launching on February 15th and I see the issue with the city as the biggest problem Cyan faces. The freezes when people link in has been a problem with Uru since day one and the fact that they're planning on launching without that problem fixed is most disconcerting (along with other city-related lag issues). On the other hand, it's certainly not a game-breaking problem but one that I'm sure people will point out as a fault.

Then again, it's pretty much standard practice to release beta software as final these days so I hope most people aren't too surprised.

The whole idea of city instancing was introduced so city lag wouldn't be an issue. Although I've found more does depend on people's local computers than they realize. My old computer was pretty laggy in the city, but my new PC (using the same internet connection) can handle 40 people with no problem whatsoever.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next