It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

protoomega wrote:
I guess my point is that we can't assume that a IC story conflicts with the Cyan-endorsed story, because it could be said to originate in an alternate Age or Instance.

I agree that the background has a lot of room for this sort of thing, and we can't assume it conflicts. And there's nothing wrong with running your own story with a group of players in cavern. That's just like running a role-playing game or LARP.

But ultimately the background as whole is Cyan's property. By becoming players, we accept the set of roles that we have been given by the framework of the game - ordinary people from the surface who have come to D'ni one way or another. I'm a big proponent of getting involved with the overall story and creating your own subplots within the bounds of that role.

Stepping outside of that role means stepping outside of the world that Cyan has created in the game, unless you have Cyan's approval. And you (the generic you) can't assume that others are willing to step out of that with you.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:01 am 

If Shiom Charkartay is a fan creation, then it is better than any of the others we've seen in the last year; and I hope it continues in an interesting and compatible way.

On the other hand, if Shiom Charkartay is part of the official storyline - even better 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:52 am 

My theory: the Charkywatsits are actually decendants of the Pento.

Which would explain why Shiom was so reluctant to divulge their species' location, or how they knew about the D'ni. Or a lot of stuff.

Yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:57 am 

Very interesting (and entertaining to say the least)... did you get/check his KI#?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:09 am 

prdamrican wrote:
Very interesting (and entertaining to say the least)... did you get/check his KI#?

He didn't wear a KI, but he did have a number. I'm not disclosing 'cause aliens need their privacy, too! :wink:

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:12 am 

Kedri wrote:
prdamrican wrote:

He didn't wear a KI, but he did have a number. I'm not disclosing 'cause aliens need their privacy, too! :wink:

No that's probably a good idea, just wondered if it was a low number or a high one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
On the other hand, if Shiom Charkartay is part of the official storyline - even better Cool

This is my point. This person is not part of Cyan's storyline. And it does a disservice to players to have to spend time on it. RPing in designated Bevins should be highly encouraged, but spreading that into public areas and other Bevins is not fair to the players who can't immediately recognize the difference, and really unfair to the people who give their trust to the storyline that Cyan is creating.

Quote:
Just because a fan makes a little story line, it doesn't mean they are "self-important".

I want to make clear that my point wasn't that RPing is self-important, but that this particular RPer in my opinion was. Not just because they imposed their storyline on strangers, but because IMHO his story was very poorly devised, low-grade mythology. All you have to do it make up a few proper nouns and answer every question with a non-answer or another question and bam, you've got yourself a storyline on par with this joker. :mrgreen: :lol: :wink:

Quote:
Which would explain why Shiom was so reluctant to divulge their species' location, or how they knew about the D'ni. Or a lot of stuff.

No. You're giving him too much credit. The fact that he hadn't actually thought out or written that part of his goofy story was why he was reluctant to give details. :wink:

I want to be a mix of IC and OOC in the game, but I don't want to encounter someone else's RPG without knowing it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2