It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:50 pm 

So my work sends me to China for 2 weeks.
Knowing about the Great Firewall of China i was pretty well expecting not to be able to play MO:UL however i thought i would still easily be able to keep up to date by reading the forums whilst over here.

Well, what a mystake that was. Just days before i arrived, there was another earthquake in the Asia region severing some of the undersea cables between Asia and the USA. With the redirecting of all this Internet traffic via different routes i have been totally unable to load the forums site at all so have been suffering major withdrawl. (I think a big part of this is the overloaded flash based content which i absolutely hate, sure it looks great but have you ever tried to load a flash based website over a slow connection? it more than kinda sux but thats for another post)

So how am i posting right now you may ask? Well after trying to access the forums using Windows Remote Desktop connections via VPN connections from my Office and Hotel in Beijing to multiple work sites around the world, all i got was hanging flash based pages and was getting mighty frustrated. So i finally had a bright idea of getting a friend to go to my house and turn on my server hence enabling my own VPN server.

So after 4 days of trying everything i could using every corporate connection at my disposal, i ended up getting access from my own home although i am several thousand kilometres away and am now happily foruming away (and wow theres some serously upset people since i caught up last).

I guess anythings possible if you persist hard enough :D Well except actually playing the game which is what i miss most. :(

Oh yeah, if MO:UL actually goes live before i get home to AUS on 3 Feb, i reckon I will go postal. hehe (MO:UL itself only gives me an eternal 0 seconds remaining anytime i try it from here :cry: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:57 pm 

This worries me.

I'm going to study for a year in Tunis, Tunisia (north africa). They don't have anything as extreme as the Great Firewall, but they are a relatively restrictive government. I hope I'll be able to access forums from there.

But just so you know, Live is going live on Feb 15th. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:59 pm 

Thanks Lego :D Good luck with your access when you get over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, I hate the flash, too. It breaks everything. For example, I love to right-click links and choose "Open in another window" or (on IE 7) "Open in another tab". Clicking on these flash links, though, and all I get it is "Settings..." and "About Flash Player..." So annoying!

Maybe I should ticket this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:55 pm 

Doing Ctrl + N will open another copy of the window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:16 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

One thing you don't do in an intuitive interface is force the user to know and use two different ways to do the same thing. That's what Flash breaks. Optional, is one thing. Forced is another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
One thing you don't do in an intuitive interface is force the user to know and use two different ways to do the same thing. That's what Flash breaks. Optional, is one thing. Forced is another.

Right. You don't want to have to make your users learn a new way of doing things just to use your interface if at all possible.

By the way, since we have to live with it for the time being, is there a shortcut key to open the same window in a new tab? I tried Ctrl + T, but that just opened a blank tab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:32 pm 

Dan'nee wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:

Right. You don't want to have to make your users learn a new way of doing things just to use your interface if at all possible.

By the way, since we have to live with it for the time being, is there a shortcut key to open the same window in a new tab? I tried Ctrl + T, but that just opened a blank tab.
I use FireFox, so it might not work, but try clicking the middle-mouse button over a link. It should open the link in a new tab. Works for me, anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:28 pm 

Good luck in Africa Lego[size=0]bni[/size] I hope you can keep up when there. If not, well then, uhh...try to keep in mail contact with an international friend who has access. :wink:

Just curious, when do you leave?

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:34 pm 

The easiest way for me to keep on top of whats going on is to go to the UO forums (www.uruobsession.com/forum) and check Cavern Today. If something is happening, its captured there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:00 pm 

Well i certainly didnt start this thread to be a complaint forum for Flash & Tabbed Browsing hehe. The good news is that i am now at a Hotel in Tokyo and can finally read the foums with ease and even actually play URU again YAY!!!. Back home to Oz in 24 hrs so will be back on my fast grunty PC with a 24" WS LCD which makes the MO: URU Live experience just that much better :D

Now i just have to look forward (NOT!!!) to moving interstate next month which means at least 2 - 4 weeks without Internet :cry:

@Fra'ni Thanks, i did actually have similar issues with OU.com from China (just problems with images loading instead of flash :? ) In the past i have actually avoided most of the fan sites as i have a hard enough time keeping up with the official Cyan sites (mystonline.com & drcsite.org) and the more sites i have to read through the less gaming i get hehe. However with the turn this site is taking lately, flamers, trolls and others getting upset over the smallest things it may be time to abandon this site for good. If the new under development site of the DRC heads the same way when released i may have no other choice anyway than to find a new forum home to keep upto date.

Heres hoping that we can all just chill out and relax and enjoy our time In Cavern and and on ALL the web & forum sites as the great community i know we are / can be.

Cheers all,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:05 pm 

Kedri wrote:
Good luck in Africa Lego[size=0]bni[/size] I hope you can keep up when there. If not, well then, uhh...try to keep in mail contact with an international friend who has access. :wink:

Just curious, when do you leave?

August.

But Tunis has good access, so I'll be able to watch, even if I have to use the school Mac

/cringe

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]