It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

How do you feel about reintroducing earlier content for a limited time?
Poll ended at Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:41 am
I missed it and would like an opportunity. 26%  26%  [ 26 ]
I've been in already, but I think this would be a good thing this time. 34%  34%  [ 34 ]
I don't think this should happen. 39%  39%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 99
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Interesting how divided the votes and opinions are. Good points have been made on both sides. As the issuer of the poll, allow me to respond to some of the common themes in the comments so far.

-Uru is designed to change over time.
To me, this is the best and most relevant argument against the content extention, so I will address it first. I'm not opposed to this concept. Thematically, it follows the concept of this game world. And this is a fundamental principle of MMO design. While I am not in favor of changing this rule, I am in favor of making this exception. The game is still in beta. That, to me, is the elephant in the room that everyone is trying to overlook.

Cyan wanted to release in December and were unable to do so. I don't need to pretend that didn't happen to be ok with it. I totally understand the desire to pacify gametap and excite beta participants, but I think it's unfair and philisophically counter-productive to withhold content from people who were hesitant to participate in beta, or who were altogether unable to. If the "first month" t-shirt is going to be off the table (literally) on the day the game is released, you might as well replace the logo with an American flag, with a BSOD where the stars should be, because it's admittedly unstable, and isn't yet available in many other parts of the world.

-Reintroducing this content would break continuity.
There are presently no story elements related to this content. You're referring to meta-continuity. That is, the significance artificially assigned to the content by Cyan, or even worse, by us.

-It's not fair to restrict content on a temporal basis at all.
It's absolutely fair. It's one of the hooks MMOs use to attract/keep people. It's a way of rewarding loyalty.

-There will be other content and/or other opportunities for this content.
Irrelavent. Even if there's 1,000 other things to do, we're talking about these few things. And imagine, theoretically (becuase we have nothing but a guess to support this), the last wisp being released on December 1st, and everyone else but you being able to enjoy the reward, whatever that may be, for a whole month without you. Again, we don't know it will be anything like that at all, but there is a significant distinction there theoretically.

-There will always be someone who misses something for some reason.
Of course, but Cyan can only be held accountable for the state of their product.

Thank you all for your input and your votes so far. I only hope that Cyan has or will consider these ideas.

Bryan: 00120717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

RushLimbaughUnderstands wrote:
If the "first month" t-shirt is going to be off the table (literally) on the day the game is released, you might as well replace the logo with an American flag, with a BSOD where the stars should be, because it's admittedly unstable, and isn't yet available in many other parts of the world.

The current beta has been open to anyone from any of the supported countries, not just Americans.

Also the game will still be unavailable in many parts of the world at launch. Do you suggest having the "First month" shirt available until EVERYBODY is on board? Suppose that takes six months. A year. Longer? How long should we hold out temporary content for people?

That's just not realistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:06 am 
Obduction Backer

macnbc wrote:
Do you suggest having the "First month" shirt available until EVERYBODY is on board? Suppose that takes six months. A year. Longer? How long should we hold out temporary content for people?

That's just not realistic.

No, sorry. Again, the game is in beta. The point is that the first month hasn't happened yet. Unless of course you want to claim previous incarnations, in which case we're heading into about the 40th month.

I posted my suggestion in the initial post--through the end of February. I hope that clears things up.

Bryan: 00120717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:52 am 
Obduction Backer

I've thrown my vote onto the middle option.

I believe RLU is correct. The game is in beta. Last time around, back in 2003/2004, people were staying out of the game because they'd heard from friends not to join until the bugs were worked out. Who's to say the same thing is not happening now?

The first month shirt wasn't advertised as a "beta testing" shirt. It's a first month shirt. I was surprised to see it available as early as it was, and I thought, "We must be pretty close to launch because I'm sure it needs to stay out for a month after that." Obviously I was mistaken.

But truth be told, I'm more concerned about the spark than the shirt. I suppose on the 15th we'll find out if that's on a half-month or full-month cycle (or perhaps some other, less obvious rotation). That first spark certainly was not around for very long. If it's a half-month, and assuming it does rotate back to its first position... I think that's not so bad. If there's no repeating... well, that's such a distasteful thought I'm not going to entertain it for now.

As a side note: It could be possible to add the first month shirt directly to the closets of people who sign up in the first month that the game becomes available in their country. That would be a nice touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Regarding the first month shirt, it is by definition a limited time thing. The name "first month shirt" is probably not the best name, but the point remains. It's a shirt for those who were on during the early stages. To offer it again would spoil the purpose.

Regarding the sparkle, I don't think we know very much about the sparkles in general, let alone whether they'll repeat. However, I did remember hearing very early on (before beta began, if I recall) that the library was intended to provide players with content they may have missed. I don't know if that includes the sparkles, but I'm sure that similar limited time things in the future will be accessable after they've expired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Bogardan Mage wrote:
Regarding the first month shirt, it is by definition a limited time thing. The name "first month shirt" is probably not the best name, but the point remains. It's a shirt for those who were on during the early stages. To offer it again would spoil the purpose.

Agreed. I think it should just be called the "Early adopter" shirt and move on.

As far as the sparklies go, if they are truly a calendar as the theory goes, then offering the January one in February is pointless. Hopefully it'll come around again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3