It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:05 am 

This may have been addressed in another thread, so I apologize if this post is repetitive.

Question...

Will there be a character wipe...meaning loss off all our beta character's progress prior to the official release date of 2/15 ?

or....

Will we retain our beta character's progress ?

Every MMORPG I have beta tested (and those I haven't) has had a character wipe / game reset before the release date, so all players, new and old, start anew...albeit MO:UL is not your typical MMORPG :wink:

Personally, I would prefer a wipe. But, if there isn't one, that's OK too... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:15 am 
Obduction Backer

I would like to know this too from what I've heard they're wiping certain accounts though I'm not sure what the criteria is or if I would be included though I hope I'm not, I run the newsletter and I'd hate to go through all that trouble of re-adding everyone...

EDIT: I should also mention that I already had a gametap account but yet I still got an e-mail about upgrading. So thats why I'm confused as to weather I will be effected or not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Rifkind wrote:
This may have been addressed in another thread, so I apologize if this post is repetitive.

Another thread? Try 50! :P

The official word from Cyan is that no, there will be no vault wipe before launch ;).

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:19 am 

Thanks Islander...indeed I guess I missed several discussions on this topics... :shock:

Regardless, I think I'll start a new character on the 15th and re-live the old and discover the new... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:07 am 
Obduction Backer

The last and final vault wipe occurred just before the final beta stage began on December 21st.

Cyan has assured as that no further vault wipes will occur (at least, the kind of vault wipes which force people to start over again) and that any progress from this final beta stage will be carried over into launch this Thursday.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:28 am 

I just sincerely hope that the REAL Live will keep all of the sparklies (instead of getting rid of old ones, like the now-missing Gahreesen one) so that new players will have the opportunity to add to their Relto like we could.

That would only be fair...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:02 am 
Obduction Backer

A month is a month, Live or not. I think it's unreasonable to expect the sparklie to be permanent beyond the month in which it arrives. It should be back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:54 am 
Obduction Backer

TheLazenby wrote:
I just sincerely hope that the REAL Live will keep all of the sparklies (instead of getting rid of old ones, like the now-missing Gahreesen one) so that new players will have the opportunity to add to their Relto like we could.

That would only be fair...

No, that wouldn't be fair at all.

To collect all the sparklies, you have to be a long-term player. What's the point in a player who pops in for one night being able to get as many rewards as someone who has been there for months?

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:51 pm 

Sounds to me like a good way to sucker long-time players into paying for the game an extra year - "Whoops! Vault wipe! Guess you'll have to pay until next January to get that one again!"

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, that would be a really popular strategy with everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

But once again, just a disclaimer: THERE WILL BE NO VAULT WIPE.

I know you guys are joking around but some may read that post and think you're serious, and that's how rumors get started, so we must be careful. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:04 am 

Yeah, as to sparklies and vault wiping, we really, by all technical standards, weren't in a beta anymore. This "launch" is really only a launch by name, not by reality.

As the missing sparklies will probably continue to remain missing (should have picked it up, it was available for a month), there is no reason to bring them back for "new" players. Myst has been available to the entire GameTap playing community, giving everyone an equal chance to get in and experience the content. While I would object to all of this content being available to players who had to be "accepted" into a beta (unless it was a "thank you for your work" reward), I cannot object to the content disappearing when the game was in an open public final "beta".

And, thank god there are no more vault wipes. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:48 pm 

S_Brennan wrote:
Yeah, as to sparklies and vault wiping, we really, by all technical standards, weren't in a beta anymore. This "launch" is really only a launch by name, not by reality.

As the missing sparklies will probably continue to remain missing (should have picked it up, it was available for a month), there is no reason to bring them back for "new" players. Myst has been available to the entire GameTap playing community, giving everyone an equal chance to get in and experience the content. While I would object to all of this content being available to players who had to be "accepted" into a beta (unless it was a "thank you for your work" reward), I cannot object to the content disappearing when the game was in an open public final "beta".

And, thank god there are no more vault wipes. :D

So, what you're saying is people who aren't in the 14 countries but who might be added eventually, as well as people who have Vista or a Mac, will have sparklies of for example 2 through 12?

Yeah... If you're going to have people like that left hanging, I'd suggest remove the page after the first sparklie's gone. Otherwise, you'll have people with incomplete content who'll never be able to finish it but will still have a part and may keep on looking for those last few pieces... forever.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]