It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:03 pm 

I think Marck's probably the closest - the thing is some kind of loader for spores. But, I think it may have been used to load the hold of a ship that traveled to the different harvesting areas. If it was dumping directly into a link, there's no reason to put it in an inconvenient place like in the water next to a dock.

How they got a full shipload back to D'ni, though, is a mystery. Maybe they took the load to some facility on Teledahn where the load could be pelleted, like the crops on Er'cana, prior to transport to D'ni.

Anyway, if you follow the pipe past the break, you can see a patch of sky at the end where the pipe slants up, so it doesn't go through the machine. I suspect the outlet of that pipe goes to the lagoon area between the waterfall and the wooden dock. But, the water under the hut can't drain through that pipe, or the slave cages would get flooded. It must go somewhere else through the grill in the floor at the start of the pipe.

If you want to try and see where it goes, why not just reset the Age? Of course, then you'd have to do all the preliminary stuff over again before inviting someone to come open the drain. I would invite several people, so you can position them on the wooden dock, the metal dock, and other areas that you suspect might have the outlet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:35 pm 

Well, that's just it. You can't put anybody anywhere past the hut, because the hut cannot be refilled, and if you follow all the pipes, the section that goes past slave caves and up and out would be seen on the left side of the waterfall on the other side of that ridge. Which of course doesn't drain that way, it does drain at the grate at the bottom of the ladder, but where is that pipe? The only thing that goes in that direction is the pipe that connects to the hair-dryer. Follow the direction, it goes toward the hut and the other(past slave caves) goes away from the hut to the other side of Teledahn.

I still haven't been able to figure out if you touch a journey hand in someone else's Teledahn if it would be usable in a new unspoilt Teledahn, if it is then the answer is of course obvious...

Oh and trying to invite a lot of people to get this done? Nearly Impossible, I tried last night to explain my situation, but everyone was either 1. too caught up in their own conversations, or 2. Didn't want to "spoil" it for me. You ask for help and it's well, "do want a hint, a nudge, or a walkthrough?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Monkeyboy wrote:
I still haven't been able to figure out if you touch a journey hand in someone else's Teledahn if it would be usable in a new unspoilt Teledahn, if it is then the answer is of course obvious...

No, that doesn't work unfortunately. I tried that once in Gahreesen. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

You have to have started an age yourself before touching someone else's cloth will register in your book for that age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:12 pm 

I was waiting for you in my Teledahn, but sleep was taking over me and I had to go. Did you manage to touch my cloth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unfortunately, I don't believe that touching a journey cloth in one person's personal age will actually register in your own corresponding linking book.

Now, it used to be that touching journey cloths in another person's age would actually help toward progress in your corresponding age... it's just that the "bookmark" wouldn't register.

But I think Cyan recently disabled that feature as well if I'm not mistaken...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

... and changed it back? It's worth checking if there's any doubt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:17 pm 

If you look among the sound files for the Teledahn Age in your UruCC installation (presumably also any standard Uru installation, but I have CC) you'll find a sound listed as "vapor miner hit." If you play this file in Audacity it sounds as if you've shot this big gadget with the gun. So, I think Cyan calls it a "vapor miner." Shades of Tatooine... I wonder if it speaks Bocce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Reverend Vader wrote:
Now, it used to be that touching journey cloths in another person's age would actually help toward progress in your corresponding age... it's just that the "bookmark" wouldn't register.

But I think Cyan recently disabled that feature as well if I'm not mistaken...

Touching cloths in another person's age still adds up to your own progress / cloth count.

Bookmarks never did register in your own book. To me that makes sense: different personal book = different age.

To more or less get back on subject, in UU I have seen the water around the hut become "undrained" with someone else operating the controls. There was not much difference if you happened to be below the water level. I was still able to walk down there. What was even stranger, the water level in the pipe remained low. So the water had a duplicate surface plane.

So this unrealistic effect may have been fixed in MOUL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:27 pm 

Monkeyboy wrote:
Oh and trying to invite a lot of people to get this done? Nearly Impossible, I tried last night to explain my situation, but everyone was either 1. too caught up in their own conversations, or 2. Didn't want to "spoil" it for me. You ask for help and it's well, "do want a hint, a nudge, or a walkthrough?"

Oh, so that's what you wanted last night! I was there in the crowd, and I remember you asking for help, but I never saw you reply to the people who asked what kind of help you needed.

It might be easier to arrange an expedition like that in advance, either offline, or through PMs, or by posting a message on a neighborhood imager. (Which will probably be more effective once there are neighborhoods with a decent population other than GoG. :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:40 pm 

Marck wrote:
According to Douglas Sharper's journal that can be found in his Ae'gura City Office, the D'ni harvested spores in Teledahn which they used to make some bread-like delicacy. Thus Teledahn's original purpose was to be used as a farming Age. My idea about this contraption looking like a big hair-dryer is that it was actually used for transporting the harvest from Teledahn to other Ages in an industrial scale. Maybe this machine was part of a mechanism which directed huge amounts of spores to some special means of linking, like a big inter-Age conveyor-belt.

I don't think so. Most of what we have seen in Teledahn is the 'harvesting center'. Remember, based on the maps, there are approximately 5 visitable areas aside from the harvesting center around the Age, so the bits that we've seen are only a part of the puzzle. There's a lot more to Teledahn, and I'll bet we'll get to see more of the industrial process later on via another production center located somewhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:26 pm 

Leonor wrote:
I was waiting for you in my Teledahn, but sleep was taking over me and I had to go. Did you manage to touch my cloth?

For some reason the invite never appeared. And when I was trying to get to Nexus I CTD then I got your message, and by that time it was too late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

I remember reading another thread about shooting other avatars with the gun next to that mechanism. Some people indicated that it was used for mining, but I have no idea what it was mining, mainly because it's sitting in the water. And then, what was the gun used for? I haven't seen any satisfactory explanations for the two things. Maybe there is an official DRC or Cyan document on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:13 am 
Obduction Backer

:oops: Oops...

I missed the fact that the folks at Cyan changed things back around the middle of October. (Thanks, JW!)

So, it appears that collecting journey cloths in other peoples' personal ages will count towards your own progress... it just won't add the bookmark to your book.

Back and forth, back and forth...

(Maybe if I don't post, I won't get things wrong!)

Please, feel free to resume normal discussion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:25 am 

Lord Chaos wrote:
If you look among the sound files for the Teledahn Age in your UruCC installation (presumably also any standard Uru installation, but I have CC) you'll find a sound listed as "vapor miner hit." If you play this file in Audacity it sounds as if you've shot this big gadget with the gun. So, I think Cyan calls it a "vapor miner." Shades of Tatooine... I wonder if it speaks Bocce.

I was under the impression that the gun itself is the "Vapor Miner". It was described as some sort of mining implement. Perhaps the large machine is part of the gun mechanism. Maybe it vaporizes the water, then sends it to the turret.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next