It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:57 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Basics of Linking
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:49 am
Posts: 23
Can someone please verify this, as I am a relative newcomer. I've been around, but don't quite understand how instancing and linking is meant to work, logically at least, in Uru. I mean who controls what, where should I expect to go when I link, etc. Trying to keep all this IC.

    What was the D'Ni's intent with the Nexus? Was it to have one global and controlled instance of each Age? It seems to provide some kind of control over who and what can link where, and how many instances there are.
    Is Yeesha then trying to subvert the Nexus by giving us each our own copy of the ages? Is her aim to make D'Ni decentralised, without a single point of weakness, and so unable to fall? And unable to establish such power as it had before?
    How did the DRC manage to "leave behind" their restoration notes in every single instance of Teledahn, etc? Were those books actually planted in each instance by Yeesha? I mean, she is the one who gave us Relto and our own personal instances, right? She seems to want to "educate" us.
    Alternatively, is the Nexus a kind of copy-centre, allowing the submission of a single "master" instance and the production of "copies" for general public consumption? Did the DRC forget to cleanup their mess before providing the copies to us?
    When I link from my Relto to my Teledahn, do I somehow "contact" the Nexus, or whatever is behind the Nexus? Does this mean that the DRC can provide "updated" Teledahns, Gahreesens, etc? This would certainly increase their "power".
    How does Zandi manage to live in every Cleft instance at the same time?
    Who added the "Share book" page? The DRC? Yeesha in her attempt to subvert the Nexus?


As far as I understand, if we go to the Nexus and follow a "Public" link it should take us to the "global" instance of that age. So far, that is just the City. Any book within such a "global" instance should also link us to another "global" instance, because the idea of "one instance" is what was intended by establishing the Nexus as control. On the other hand, if we avoid the Nexus then we go with Yeesha's idea: lots of instances with no individual control. Does this sound right?

Anyone able to answer all this? :D Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:17 am
Posts: 466
Starting IC post:

p_a_harvey wrote:
What was the D'Ni's intent with the Nexus?
To keep a repository of linking books to various Ages. It also allowed D'ni to link to various places within D'ni. Unlike the Relto books we use, D'ni linking books couldn't be used to link from 1 location within an Age to another location in the same Age. So you couldn't link from the Ferry Terminal to Tokotah Alley because they're both in the same Age. That meant that if you wanted to travel from one place in D'ni to another place in D'ni you had to either go across land and water or link to an intermediary Age. What could be done was:
Ferry Terminal (link to) Some Other Age (link to) Tokotah Alley.

The D'ni put books to the Nexus to act as the "Some Other Age."

p_a_harvey wrote:
Was it to have one global and controlled instance of each Age?
No. There were no instances in ancient D'ni times. Instead instances is something Yeesha has invented.

p_a_harvey wrote:
It seems to provide some kind of control over who and what can link where
That's related to the KI. There's a computer that keeps track of where each KI is located. If there are 40 KIs in Ae'gura, it sends a message to the Nexus and tells it to not give anyone else a linking book to Ae'gura. When it see's there are less then 40 KIs in Ae'gura, it sends a message to the Nexus and tells it to let people into Ae'gura.

Because of this, if you go to Ae'gura through some other way unrelated to the Nexus, you can't be stopped.

p_a_harvey wrote:
Is her aim to make D'Ni decentralised, without a single point of weakness, and so unable to fall? And unable to establish such power as it had before?
Interesting idea. I don't know.

p_a_harvey wrote:
How did the DRC manage to "leave behind" their restoration notes in every single instance of Teledahn, etc? Were those books actually planted in each instance by Yeesha? I mean, she is the one who gave us Relto and our own personal instances, right? She seems to want to "educate" us.
When the DRC makes a change in one instance, it seems to change the other instances. For example in the Kadish Gallery when the DRC removed the barricades it was removed instantaneously from all of the instances. We don't really understand how or why it happens. It's very strange.

p_a_harvey wrote:
Alternatively, is the Nexus a kind of copy-centre, allowing the submission of a single "master" instance and the production of "copies" for general public consumption? Did the DRC forget to cleanup their mess before providing the copies to us?
I'm not too sure what you're saying here, however when the D'ni were still living in the city, the Nexus wasn't used like that. Instances are a new thing.

p_a_harvey wrote:
When I link from my Relto to my Teledahn, do I somehow "contact" the Nexus, or whatever is behind the Nexus?
It does seem to have SOME connection with the Nexus. I say that because when you first go there, there's no Ages under your personal links. But if you go to Teledahn and then go to the Nexus, you'll see a Teledahn book there. We don't really understand how or why that happens though.

p_a_harvey wrote:
Does this mean that the DRC can provide "updated" Teledahns, Gahreesens, etc? This would certainly increase their "power".
I don't think so. I think it is SOMEHOW updated automatically. But once again, we're not sure.

p_a_harvey wrote:
How does Zandi manage to live in every Cleft instance at the same time?
I don't think the dry Cleft is instanced. I think we're linking to the "real" Cleft there (OOC: I think we're suppose to ignore the fact that Zandi is there but no other players are).

p_a_harvey wrote:
Who added the "Share book" page? The DRC? Yeesha in her attempt to subvert the Nexus?
Not sure. (OOC: I think we're suppose to ignore that ICly as well).

p_a_harvey wrote:
As far as I understand, if we go to the Nexus and follow a "Public" link it should take us to the "global" instance of that age. So far, that is just the City. Any book within such a "global" instance should also link us to another "global" instance, because the idea of "one instance" is what was intended by establishing the Nexus as control. On the other hand, if we avoid the Nexus then we go with Yeesha's idea: lots of instances with no individual control. Does this sound right?
Unfortunately no. It sounds mostly correct with the Gahreesen book in the hoods, but the Kadish Tolesa book in Ae'gura links to our private Age.

:Ending IC post.

Sorry I couldn't stay completely IC for it ;) If you're interested in being IC you might find this website enjoyable. Although be warned the website is somewhat out of date ;)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:49 am
Posts: 23
Thanks heaps for the reply. It helps me to understand the Nexus at least. We still don't seem to have a full explanation of where you'll go if you, for example, link out of Ae'guera. Hopefully that'll be cleared up once things progress.

John Lynch wrote:
For example in the Kadish Gallery when the DRC removed the barricades it was removed instantaneously from all of the instances. We don't really understand how or why it happens. It's very strange.


Of all the things the DRC can do, this is surely the strangest. They feel too godlike for my comfort.

John Lynch wrote:
But if you go to Teledahn and then go to the Nexus, you'll see a Teledahn book there. We don't really understand how or why that happens though.


From what you suggested, and at a guess, it probably tracks your KI. Might be worthwhile going to an age *without* a KI, then getting your KI and checking the Nexus.

John Lynch wrote:
p_a_harvey wrote:
How does Zandi manage to live in every Cleft instance at the same time?
I don't think the dry Cleft is instanced. I think we're linking to the "real" Cleft there (OOC: I think we're suppose to ignore the fact that Zandi is there but no other players are).


Hmm, I can buy that, but I wonder if Zandi is still there after we leave. Terrible job he has. :)

John Lynch wrote:
p_a_harvey wrote:
Who added the "Share book" page? The DRC? Yeesha in her attempt to subvert the Nexus?
Not sure. (OOC: I think we're suppose to ignore that ICly as well).


OOC: It might have been better to have "Share book" at the bottom of the screen, seeing as it's an "action" like "opening the KI" or "going to Relto". It would at least be able to be claimed that "if a person is holding a book, while someone else links there, then the other person links to the person's instance". Just thinking that we want to make the game as immersive as possible, and I've never seen "Share" on the inside cover of any books. Normally it's copyright notices... :)

Thanks again for the reply!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:17 am
Posts: 466
p_a_harvey wrote:
OOC: It might have been better to have "Share book" at the bottom of the screen, seeing as it's an "action" like "opening the KI" or "going to Relto". It would at least be able to be claimed that "if a person is holding a book, while someone else links there, then the other person links to the person's instance". Just thinking that we want to make the game as immersive as possible, and I've never seen "Share" on the inside cover of any books. Normally it's copyright notices... :)
That's a good idea. You might want to suggest it here as a feature request. Although if you do suggest it, don't expect it to get implemented straight away (if at all ;)) as they're pretty busy right now :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:35 pm
Posts: 72
I propose another IC theory about instances:

Instead of instancing an age, instead explorers are all linked to the same age.

However, explorers are "shifted" somehow, so that they can only interact with people that are either on "base level" (Like Zandi, who can interact with anyone) or their own level.
Probably the book doesn't link them fully into the age, or links them into that separate level.

Base level in this instance is similar to the level of normal existance in or linkg to that age - for example, base level in the cleft are people who have never used a linking book before.

Now I don't really have a way to explain the different levels - maybe star-trek phase shifting can come in handy here....

Anyone care to expand on this theory?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:29 am
Posts: 267
Location: 9201, 604577, 1837
John Lynch wrote:
p_a_harvey wrote:
When I link from my Relto to my Teledahn, do I somehow "contact" the Nexus, or whatever is behind the Nexus?
It does seem to have SOME connection with the Nexus. I say that because when you first go there, there's no Ages under your personal links. But if you go to Teledahn and then go to the Nexus, you'll see a Teledahn book there. We don't really understand how or why that happens though.


I think it's again because of the Lattice keeping track of where all the KIs are. If you o to Eder Gira, obviously you wouldn't be there unless you found an authorized method of going there (this is before Yeesha), so it gets added to your approved Ages in the Nexus.

This is probably a bug, thanks to Yeesha, but one the DRC have likely chosen to ignore, because it's more convenient this way. Otherwise, I don't know of any approved ways to go to Teledahn, Eder Gira, or Eder Kemo (now that the Kemo book is no longer in the 'hoods).

p_a_harvey wrote:
John Lynch wrote:
For example in the Kadish Gallery when the DRC removed the barricades it was removed instantaneously from all of the instances. We don't really understand how or why it happens. It's very strange.


Of all the things the DRC can do, this is surely the strangest. They feel too godlike for my comfort.


I don't think they understand it any more than we do. It just seems to be that any changes made in the "real" city propagate through to all the instances, whether they want them to or not. Although they knew about instances, they didn't seem to be aware that, when they opened the Gallery in the city, that this gave us access to the Canyon area from our own instanced Gallery links.

_________________
Ian Watson
MOULa KI: 00115996

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:12 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:29 pm
Posts: 1284
Location: UK
IanWatson wrote:
p_a_harvey wrote:
John Lynch wrote:
For example in the Kadish Gallery when the DRC removed the barricades it was removed instantaneously from all of the instances. We don't really understand how or why it happens. It's very strange.


Of all the things the DRC can do, this is surely the strangest. They feel too godlike for my comfort.


I don't think they understand it any more than we do. It just seems to be that any changes made in the "real" city propagate through to all the instances, whether they want them to or not. Although they knew about instances, they didn't seem to be aware that, when they opened the Gallery in the city, that this gave us access to the Canyon area from our own instanced Gallery links.

I could be wrong here, and please forgive me p_a_harvey if I am, but from the way you are writing I get the feeling that you are getting mixed up between the DRC and the D'ni.

Please ignore the whole lot if I am wrong in what I think:

I really find it hard to explain in words who the D'ni were, but to put it simply they were a race of people who lived in the Cavern, and who had the power to create ages by writing books. They died out thousands of years ago - the reason is complicated, but basically they were poisened. Thus the city of D'ni was left empty. Take a look HERE for more info.

The DRC - D'ni Restoration Council - are here to basically restore the cavern and the ways of the D'ni to their former glory. Think Pompei, but on a much bigger scale, and going much further. They are people just like us, and have no power to create linking books - they barely understand the whole concept. They are most certainly not responsible for anything to do with instancing, sharing, linking etc. Take a look HERE for more info.

Like I said, I'm really poor at explaining this, thought I know it. Someone will probably correct me soon enough :P.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:59 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:58 pm
Posts: 2023
Location: The Netherlands
The share symbol is definately Yeesha's doing I think. Original D'ni Linking Books linked to the same Age. So, if someone went through a book after me, he would be in the same Age.
It seems like Yeesha altered some Books, so that we could have our own instances. She made the Share symbol so we still can explore together. Why and how she did that... I don't know.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: