It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Last night, I and a few other players I spoke to, but certainly not all, saw Eddie the beachball on our Age Players list in the city. He often came to the top of our lists even when we were adjacent to other players. Yet, he was always out of communications range, as indicated by the lack of angle brackets around his name. (Of course, beach balls can't communicate.) I could see his KI number on my KI under Age Players, but when I tried to add him to my Buddies list, it would not take. There was no visible avatar around named Eddie, either.

Bottom line--Why were we seeing Eddie as being there? (BTW, I haven't seen him on a list in a bevin when I was there.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Since renaming hoods doesn't work, we have to create an avatar with the name of the hood, eg The Institution's Bevin is an avatar of mine, and The URU Obsession's Bevin is an avatar of someone else.

Eddie the beachball is an avatar, I'm sure. There is an invisibility bug sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

There was no avatar. The first thing I did was to look around for someone named Eddie, but there never was anyone with that name.

Also, and more importantly, I would be standing close enough to touch a friend, yet Eddie would move up to the top of the list, indicating that he was even closer to me than the friend, but there was no one there. Someone else, a little ways away, would see Eddie at the top of her list at the same time. Other players did not see Eddie on their lists at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Eddie, the beachball from the Neighborhood is not an avatar, but it a regular SceneObject with some different physical flags that allow you to kick it around.

If "Eddie" was on your players list, then there was someone named Eddie in the age who was invisible folloing you around. I would suspect that invisibility is a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:46 pm 

If only they had moved eddie "The beachball" around, while typing things like kick me please. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

This still does not explain why:

(1) Eddie was visible on the Age Players list of only a few of several people within the same proximity.

(2) Eddie was always "out of communications range" even when he would have had to have been on top of my avatar.

(3) People in the same room, but separated by others, saw him at the top of their lists simultaneously.

(4) He was invisible to everyone, even after some of us linked out and back.

(5) Eddie could not be added to my Buddies list although he showed up on my KI and had a KI number. (Two methods used, entering his name and clicking the arrow next to Buddy List.)

Finally, I would suspect that the name "Eddie" would be reserved by Cyan/GameTap as would "Atrus," "Zandi," or "Yeesha."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lobo wrote:
This still does not explain why:

(1) Eddie was visible on the Age Players list of only a few of several people within the same proximity.

(2) Eddie was always "out of communications range" even when he would have had to have been on top of my avatar.

(3) People in the same room, but separated by others, saw him at the top of their lists simultaneously.

(4) He was invisible to everyone, even after some of us linked out and back.

(5) Eddie could not be added to my Buddies list although he showed up on my KI and had a KI number. (Two methods used, entering his name and clicking the arrow next to Buddy List.)

Yes it does - sounds like perfect buggy behaviour to me. Surely something to do with the invisible avatar bug...

Lobo wrote:
Finally, I would suspect that the name "Eddie" would be reserved by Cyan/GameTap as would "Atrus," "Zandi," or "Yeesha."

Why? I could be wrong, but is naming the ball Eddie something recognised by Cyan, or is it just something conjured up by enthusiasts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:33 pm 

"Eddie" the avatar was also in the UO hood last night and quite visible to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

There you have it. Why Eddie (and who it's named after) has been discussed. It's not a Cyan name. Besides, there are bound to be people called Edward aka Eddie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 pm 

If you were in the city, it was probably an instancing bug - the Eddie avatar was most likely in another instance of the city, which is why you couldn't see him, but there was a little KI cross-contamination as it were.

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

why does this bug only affect Eddie then? I find it strange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:46 pm 

djlumberjack wrote:
why does this bug only affect Eddie then? I find it strange.

It doesn't, several of us were in the UO hood's instance of the city one night and one of the explorers was invisible to all, some invisible to others and some visible to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:19 am 

I think you could be wrong, look up Eddie in this glossary (beware; spoilers in there!):

http://web.interware.hu/frenzy/uru/glossary.htm

I always knew: never trust a beachball, no mather how shiny it looks!

No vacancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:07 pm 

During then latest Laxman/Cate apperance I also had a phantom Eddie following me arround. Did anyone else experience this at the same time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

want me to add to this mystery? I, including several others were in the city early this morning and started experiencing the Eddie phenomenon. So I had an idea. What if someone tried creating an avatar and use the same name, just to see if it is indeed taken. So, Andrew Yosso left to go try it. Suddenly, about 10 minutes later, Eddie appears...and is visible! It threw us all off at first because I wasn't expecting it to work, but Andrew managed to create the Eddie avatar without getting the "name taken" message. So we were seeing two Eddie's in the city, one we could see, and Eddie the ghost. Now, wrap that one around your head.... :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next