It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:47 pm 

Lobo wrote:
(a) Why would the D'ni use Earth months based on the frequency the Moon rotates around the Earth? They lived in other places than Earth and underground, where Moon rotation and seasons are not easily observed.

A purely moon based calendar would have 13 month. The D'ni calendar has 10 month but a D'ni year is exactly as long as a Siderian Year (~365.2425 days). http://www.mystlore.com/wiki/D%27ni_timekeeping

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ashelbane wrote:
It's the D'ni number 1, silly. First shell, first journey Age on the bookshelf, first month, whatever it means...

But it DOES say 1 on it.

I just don't think, personally, that the resemblance to the D'ni numeral "fah" is so conclusive. I can't recall ever seeing the fah dupicated so haphazardly, even in the most mundane contexts. The bounding box seems purposefully incomplete, and the vertical line protrudes significantly beyond the box in both directions.

Certainly, the fah is a reasonable hypothesis, but I think to imply with such certainty that it can't be anything else is perhaps premature until we find more of them.

As for Teledahn getting an update, that's not necessarily true. Something about getting a new client triggered a re-downloading of all the ages. If you're like me, you probably only noticed Teledahn because you were checking for the spyroom link, but each of the ages, at least on my system, were completely re-downloaded, and I noticed no significant changes in any of them.

With 12 spots, and the sun/moon symbol, I can certainly see the correlation to time. That more than anything is what makes me lean toward the D'ni numeral fah as an explanation for the symbol. I sincerely hope that this is not a one-per-month thing, as has been suggested. I think Rand has indicated that even the longer developments would span at most 3 monthsish. But while we're on the topic, let me plead with Cyan for a moment:

Pleeeeeeeease don't resort to standard MMO tricks to keep people around. No treadmills. No tier 5 armor sets. You guys are geniuses. You're offering a unique experience. Make it great. People will stay. More will come. The end.

For whatever reason, I never noticed this until today, but the first section of the spiral contains a subsection with five distinct divisions, much like a clock face. Besides, the circular design is almost never used as a calendar. So I think the final structure will be more closely related to a minute or an hour, or perhaps just a general relation to time itself, as opposed to a more literal correlation.

We could be putting too much onus on this whole thing. The final result might just be a schnazzy sundial or some such thing.

Bryan: 00120717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:19 am 

RushLimbaughUnderstands wrote:
Besides, the circular design is almost never used as a calendar.

But circular calendars can be pretty cool. Clicky!

I have long thought that the D'ni might have used a combined circular clock/calendar, since their system is so perfectly suited for it. It would be a perpetual device that never needed updating. No calendar kiosks at the D'ni mall! (Though, of course, a D'ni calendar would not apply in this case.)

Regarding the numbers, it is hard to tell whether the series will be stylized fah, bree, etc. or whether it will actually be 1, 2, etc. using the incomplete square as a decorative background. Come to think of it, maybe it will even be Bahro numerals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:23 am 

Bahro numerals on a square background?

Unless, of course, the one we got isn't the first in the series, which I doubt since it's at the beginning of the spiral.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:24 am 
Obduction Backer

It is a stylized D'ni numeral 1.

as for

Quote:
(a) Why would the D'ni use Earth months based on the frequency the Moon rotates around the Earth? They lived in other places than Earth and underground, where Moon rotation and seasons are not easily observed.

This is Yeesha's doing no the D'ni, Yeesha grew up on the surface of earth so the concept of her knowing of a 12 month calendar is not so strange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:32 am 

Aaron Strauss wrote:
Seeing that Teledahn also received a large update, I just did a search for another one of these things there but was unable to find one.

Teledahn was updated because of bug fixes, not new content.

Anyway, why are you so sure, Tweek? :wink:

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Last edited by Maratanos on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:36 am 

Maratanos wrote:
Aaron Strauss wrote:
Seeing that Teledahn also received a large update, I just did a search for another one of these things there but was unable to find one.

Guess that means I shouldn't check any other older ages out until I hear confirmed new content first, yeah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:39 am 

Maratanos wrote:

Given that the release notes typically don't mention new content even when it is there, I don't know how you could possibly come to such a conclusion.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:41 am 

Well, fine. But that was just my gut instinct. I'm probably wrong... :oops:

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:43 am 

Hey, don't sweat it. I took a chance but it didn't pan out. I felt it was worth a shot at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:27 am 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
Calender's don't necessarily have to measure accurate or even increments of time.. they could be markers to indicate something important, or achievements made. In this case it seems that the first sparklie is enough of an even in itself worth marking. :)

Anyone else think the little altar thing looks remarkably like the little bench area with the light in Kemo? Even the little artwork things on it remind me of the walls there.

[spoiler] Oddly enough going to that spot in kemo theres a strange blurred out circle in the middle, and the walls have many images of Ahnonnay (sp)
ooh Excitement
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:23 am 

I was just thinking each age would get a sparkly thing. didn't anyone notice that we have 12 age slots in our bookshelf?
Grsn, Tele, Kadish, Kemo &Gira = 5 + the other 7 slots to the right = 12

but we have only been shown one so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:23 pm 

[spoiler]I am wondering if it's significant that the sparklie describes a meandering figure eight (or infinity symbol) as it floats in the air. Probably just an easy trick to get the movement to look somewhat random, but it struck me nonetheless.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:43 pm 

lol way too many threads on sparkie. I posted this, you guys may be interested in...

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 4499#94499

"I'd rather be hated for who I am...than loved for who I'm not..."

Vant Zant~Help Somebody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

How about a slightly radical thought. Perhaps the 12 are a progression but not a calendar. How about they indicate a progress in understanding much like the journey cloths were a progress in showing how much you had seen in each journey.

Why 12, why not. (Also note the 12 spaces in Gahreesen where they might be places.)

What about the sun and moon. Well take a look at the lamp, you see the two spirals (perhaps a reference to Denlin and Tsogahl puzzles) but also take a look at the red line. Follow it and it describes a familiar shape, that of a shell. Where did path of the shell take us but to the great shaft.

And... at the top of the great shaft is the sun and moon. Perhaps this is a marker to progress in getting to the surface?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next