It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Moleculor wrote:
That sensor bar on the Wii? It's just two lights. You could replace it with two candles, if you wanted to.

...except it wouldn't work very well, if at all. Uses infra-red, like a remote, and although a candle does indeed have infra-red in it's spectrum, it'll be a lot weaker than that of an infra-red LED, not to mention a lot less collimated.

Moleculor wrote:
The GZ is just a big shining light. It's a 'special' light, in that it uses some form of neutrinos or radio waves or some other form of radiation we may not even know about yet to 'paint' the cavern with 'light' for calibration. The KI can see this 'light' and since it's probably multiple wavelengths mixing together to form specific patterns at specific places, it marks those places that are 'special' with a marker.

I don't see how this would work with science we know.

Above-ground GPS works using triangulation, which would seem a logical way for the Great Zero system to work, except that there's only one base station - the Great Zero itself.

The way I see it working is sort of like you describe, but simpler: the GZ transmits very collimated beams of EM waves (radio waves, micro waves etc.) in all directions, but a different wavelength in each direction.

A KI in the field can then detect two things - the intensity of the wave (and hence the distance from the GZ), and the wavelength (hence the direction).

Moleculor wrote:
Meaning it's the KI that decides to show a marker at a place, it's the KI that records the 'physical' location of those markers (with respect to magnetic fields or some other form of Earthly measurement that shifts over time (otherwise there would be no need for calibration)), and then delivers them to the GZ for the GZ to find out exactly where 'it' is and where 'you' are at all times.

Now this is where my theory falls appart, though I'm not entirely sure I like your's either.

I see no way that the KI could record a location without using the GZ, or some other base station. What you suggests seems implausible, but I'm not sure either. Probably some D'ni science that is not known to humans.

~~~~

Great post, Moleculor - it's about time we had some discussion about science in the cavern!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:01 am 

Islander wrote:
I see no way that the KI could record a location without using the GZ, or some other base station. What you suggests seems implausible, but I'm not sure either. Probably some D'ni science that is not known to humans.

(Bear in mind that this is mostly my opinion, not necessarily canon.)
Each marker is projected by the GZ, and contains a unique code that the KI can read. The GZ projects its basic coordinate beams (probably similar to how you described), and the KI can record the relative strengths at the location of each marker, but without calibration it doesn't tell you anything about your real position. However the GZ 'knows' how far away from itself it is projecting each marker, and so it can compare the real coordinates with the coordinates recorded by the KI (since it can compare the unique ids of each marker uploaded) and use that to calibrate itself.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2