It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hmm. Not fond of this idea, m'self, for a number of reasons, but the main one being that I love the cavern as it is. I actually think that clearing the extra rubble, getting more lighting, filling gaps etc. would just totally spoil the whole feel of the place.

Besides, I agree with jaburg - to a degree. It would be, I reckon, very difficult for Cyan to implement. Not necessarily because of the avatar movements, but because of the actual mechanics of what you're asking for - i.e. basically reprogramming the City to (in time) get rid of the cracks, get better lighting etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like the idea of a changing cavern. It makes it dynamic and evolving. When you move into a new house or apartment one of the first things you do is paint, you make it your own. Clean up the debris, dredge out the docks and remove the wreckage, put in new lights. It doesn't really make sense IC to not clean up the joint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

As an ongoing archeological site, it makes perfect IC sense to not “clean up”. Part of the story line from the last LIVE was weather to rebuild or to discover better things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:55 pm 

I'm pretty sure the R in DRC is for Restoration...

restore:
    return to its original or usable and functioning condition; "restore the forest to its original pristine condition"
    regenerate: return to life; get or give new life or energy; "The week at the spa restored me"

give or bring back; "Restore the stolen painting to its rightful owner"
    repair: restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or broken; "She repaired her TV set"; "Repair my shoes please"
    bring back into original existence, use, function, or position; "restore law and order"; "reestablish peace in the region"; "restore the emperor to the throne"

If this was an archeological site, I'd want to find a lot more stuff lying around! I'd want to examine the boats (before removal for a more detailed examination), the facilities (before digging into them to explore the guts and building process), I'd remove the artwork for eventual museum display, the machinery for closer study.... (No, really, the Field Museum in Chicago has TWO WHOLE WALLS of an Egyptian tomb! Maybe they can do a D'Ni exhibit next year! Send 'em the diplays in the Gallery!)

Now, if it were to become a historical site, like maybe the Acropolis, then okay, you could leave it that way. We could then have park rangers like Carlsbad, bringing thousands of surface dwellers down annually...set up kiosks to hawk First Month T-Shirts! Set up lights to show the architecture better, clean up some of the mess so we don't get sued, set up all these "walkways" and brighten the whole thing...oh, wait.

I'm not saying the above *couldn't* also happen, but aren't we coming back to refound the D'Ni civilization? Aren't they repairing the Great Zero? Clearing blocked passages to move forward? I want to move forward in a certain direction. The Maker willing, I'm here to stay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:09 am 
Obduction Backer

If this was a real architecture site, there would be no restoration. A select few would be down there with tweezers and brushes, and it would take years, even decades before got uncovered, catalogued and studied.

But you know, how much fun would that be?

I'm hoping that we get to see more stuff and I hope that stuff changes, and we get to use stuff. I want to see the inside of all those buildings!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:54 am 

I just finished the Yeesha Cycle and have now completed both Edin Delin and found as many Markers as possible...

After reading your comments and suggestions I have some thoughts.

If a Restoration is what this online endeavor is truly about then it is an evolutionary entity. Something changing and growing even as it excavates and uncovers the past glory of the D'ni Culture and Civilization.

As Dictionary.com says:

1. the act of restoring; renewal, revival, or reestablishment.
2. the state or fact of being restored.
3. a return of something to a former, original, normal, or unimpaired condition.
4. restitution of something taken away or lost.
5. something that is restored, as by renovating.
6. a reconstruction or reproduction of an ancient building, extinct animal, or the like, showing it in its original state.
7. a putting back into a former position, dignity, etc.

If you take these simple definitions and apply it to what we - and I emphasize "we" (as in plural mode) - are creating, inventing, restoring, reviving, renewing, and reesstablishing is a way to get in touch with the earth based cultures of our own historical past.

I agree that it is up to individual participants to join in and take the reigns as members of this unique endeavor of Restoration. Why should the DRC have all the glory. Isn't this a democracy after all (or, shall we just sit idly by and let the - so to speak - leaders of inner councils hold the power? Isn't this what brought about the destruction of D'ni to begin with? Wasn't it power in the hands of a few that brought down the great houses of the Last Kings.

I'm for restoring the common dignity of the mass, of the workers in our midst. Let the people have a voice -- and, not only a voice, but an ability to add creative and timely solutions in the ongoing revival of the D'ni culture and lifestyle.

I see us creating a Political, Social, Religious, Educational, Scientific, and Cultural matrix. Opening up the Library to the public and allowing the readers not only access to the myriad volumes of D'ni literature and history, but allowing them to add in their own books, poems, songs, art, essays, et. al...

I see us creating an Forum some what like ancient Greece and Rome did with assemblies and gathering spots for lectures, debates, and participatory democracy arenas.

I see Temples to the old gods and goddesses of D'ni restored where members will be led by priests and priestesses in a new revival of the Old Ways of earth and the D'ni creeds and rituals.

I see new sports arenas where participants can play unimagined games of fierce competition: both singular and team based.

I see a City Council with meetings to discuss openly ongoing issues: sewage, rubble removal, water works projects, statue and art restoration projects.

I see a place safe for children to play and be entertained by their peers.

I see old style D'ni bands and avatar dances in the Pubs and Dance Halls of old, places of gathering for young and old alike.

Obviously this is something that would take a world wide participatory group of strong enthusiastic individuals to assure a successful transition in power to vision that allows all people to have access to the City of Ae'gura.

I see us adding in the ability to create the city as we go along. Cyan should allow for options on the City like they do for our Avatar. I could see us having option windows in certain hidden spots that allow us to add new features into the City: new statues, public buildings... on the order of restoring things that were long hidden. It could be that we'd have to have public meetings and debates about aspects of the City's development and resotoration projects.

What I'm getting at is changing the premise of Uru - Live from a static player game to a true online participatory world.

What say ye Citizens of the new City of Ae'gura? It's been long enough in the hands of the DRC, now its time for the City to be in the hands of the multitude.... 8)

Not power over, but power with: empowering others, creating open and helpful venues for all to enjoy their stay in this gameverse.

Long live D'ni and its facilitators....

c'ya, earthwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:26 am 

I think something like this might actually be fun, but I really don't see it happening... however, I don't think people should be getting annoyed with the game just yet -- wait until the game actually launches and you see whether or not lack of new content is really an issue. They're still working on getting everything up and running. Give it at least a month before you start complaining about lack of new content.

And now some slightly off-topic responses... placed in spoiler tags so that they don't distract from the main subject...

[spoiler]
hobert wrote:
And really, do you think they let *anyone* into the Maintainer's Guild? Or Writer's Guild? Did they have apprenticeships and journeyman positions? I'd bet they had some type of proficiency testing in place, be it standardized or oversight.

That was the D'ni... we're talking about the DRC now -- they don't have the Guild system.

earthwizard wrote:
I see Temples to the old gods and goddesses of D'ni restored where members will be led by priests and priestesses in a new revival of the Old Ways of earth and the D'ni creeds and rituals.

I'm pretty sure the D'ni did not have multiple gods/goddesses... only Yahvo, the Maker.
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:56 pm 

Ooh, and how about different series of tests that you could take to become member of the different guilds. Your KI would register what guild you're currently in. Trick is, you can only be a member of one guild, and some puzzles would require you to get a bunch of people from different guilds together (just imagining along. I'd like to see some new gameplay mechanics added too).

Btw, hi everyone, I'm new to these boards, but not to Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:52 am 
Obduction Backer

I play a game to escape the real world.

The closer a game comes to resembling the real world (work, tasks, etc), the less I want to play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:51 am 

In OOC terms, Cyan has been concentrating on the mechanics of the game while glossing over the "story-line" and "explorer participation". Not much has been done by the DRC beyond opening areas that they had previously blocked off for "safety reasons". The question of the actual function of the DRC has already been raised, and there isn't much of an answer. Both the DRC and the Liasons were implimented without much thought to their roles. The same is true of Explorer participation and of the Explorers being an active part of the story. Great ideas floated out there just like so many lead balloons.

It is hard for Explorers to do a good IC story, mostly because there is no framework into which to fit such a story. Yes, I know this is still Beta, but we seriously need to start thinking about Launch. As it is, the bugs are squashed as fast as new ones appear and so it seems that is always the way it is going to be. We have ResEngs to help repair what goes wrong and perhaps that is also part of the story. There are numerous cases of companies that go bankrupt trying to remove the bugs and polish the product. Sometimes it is better to simply call it good and go with what you have. After all, there is Version 1.0, then 2.0...

And there is the question of rewards. The first four ages rewarded us with the knowledge that we freed a Bahro, and so what? Solving an age should give us more than a piece of rock to show for it.

I am all for Explorers helping to clear out the rubble. This is a restoration, not an archeological site. On the other hand, "destruction is coming" fills me with a certain dread.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2