It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:20 am 

Did anyone actually tried it to solve on their own? It might be possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:28 am 

I was about to post and say "I think Leonor is working on doing it solo..." and then I saw who it was. :)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:52 pm 

My feeling is that new ages should have multi-player opportunities but at the same time be able to be solved solo. Myst is very much a personal experience and should offer individual challenges with the option of partnering.

Having said this, I believe this new age was created so everyone could get a "taste" of a team puzzle and so the developers could see how it is received by the community.

If "team only" ages are going to be the norm I will likely drop off and look for something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 am 

What if solo-only was the norm? Why would you be here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:49 am 
Obduction Backer

GreyDragon has said on many occations that niether single-player or multi-player will be the norm. Both will be. Some ages will require up to 7 people other's 2 or 3 - others will be single player with multi-player if you want (like the first 4).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:20 am 

I can say that I wasn't really happy about the possibility of playing with other people. I really felt that Myst and it's counterparts were better left alone, and I tried to complete Delin with one person and it's just, at this point, impossible. I agonized over going to the cavern an gathering a group . . . it just wasn't my thing. When I did get help I got some great people and actually had a bunch of fun. I can't say I will go around chit chatting with everyone in the cavern, but won't be so upset when I have to solve things with others... but I do still hope that the majority of our adventures will be solo. Maybe the point of this age was to build a community atmosphere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:02 am 

If you feel really strongly about there being a single-player option, don't forget that you can feature-request it via the support site. Personally, I don't think having a solo option for the Age is necessary, but I agree that some players would prefer it that way.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:45 am 

Just my opinion...
People shouldn't bash people for wanting to play solo......

I too am generally anti-social, but I joined the online for the continuing changes. The standalone just doesn't have all the new content we will be getting online. I am looking forward to continuing this story for eternity :lol:

so, I went into a Delin instance solo at first, checked it out, found the cloths, checked out the door, figured out what seemed like what obviously needed to be done and then joined my own hood in our instance of Delin. I watched everyone painstakingly do exactly what I thought was necessary to accomplish the task (was pleased with myself when I realized I was right :wink: ) and then, when the doors opened, I, like everyone else in the age, ran through and got to see what was behind the door.
Initially I was upset that I had to do it that way, but in the end, I still had the satisfaction that I figured it out on my own, and it was fun to get together with a group and give my input :!:

KI # 02256515

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 am 

I will start in saying that I respect someone's desire to play a game the way that they want to. But seriously, this game is an MMO, so it expected that you will meet other people throughout the course of the game. Whether you play with them or not is your choice, but it is the point of the game. So where I support you in wanting to play alone, I also say, don't bash because the game won't let you completly avoid all human contact.

My two cents...

If you see me in the cavern please feel free to say hello.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:06 am 

Personally, I have to say that the main draw for me in an online URU is the updating Ages and puzzles. While I quite like talking to people as well, I prefer solving the puzzles themselves solo. I could probably cope with Ages that require two or three people to solve (although I'd rather there was a solo solution), but requiring 7 or more people just seems nuts to me. YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:08 am 

There are several reports of people doing it with only 2 or 3 people, and though it takes more coordination, it's easier to orchestrate. So having 7+ people isn't required. :D

KI# 45434

Post subject: I tried
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Leonor wrote:
Did anyone actually tried it to solve on their own? It might be possible.

I did. I was able to get number of all symbols alone and thought that maybe there is some way to finish that journey alone.
I can touch only 4 (maybe 5 - not sure did I that before door stops spinning or after because it takes a time to return) and there is no chance to touch all seven. The idea was that maybe it will be enough to enter 4 or 5 symbols and continue with the rest after door is stopped or it will open if you are alone, etc. No success.
Also sometimes there is mechanical sound behind the door after it is stopped even, like it was not reset but in some other state and that fact get me another reason to try that by alone :)
Now I think that sound is kind of bug, it appears after I was crashed while door is spinning, looks like door 'sound parameter' was not reset or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:11 pm 

Big_Al? The same Big_al from NewDoom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:32 pm 

If I wanted to meet people I would join a bridge club. Myst is meant to be played solo, meeting should be done in hoods and city areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:51 pm 

Melodie wrote:
Initially I was upset that I had to do it that way, but in the end, I still had the satisfaction that I figured it out on my own, and it was fun to get together with a group and give my input :!:

I made sure to figure everything out in Delin before I got a group together. In fact, when I was almost positive I knew what to do, I went to the city and chatted privately with someone who solved the puzzle already and asked some yes/no questions. To my elation, I was on the nose. I feel the same as you, Melodie, because I was sad I needed other people, but I did, after all, solve the problem on my own.

and I don't think anyone should bash solo players, but I think some of us, myself in particular, are just saying that it could be an interesting experience. I joined Uru for the additional content and not to interact with fellow explorers, but I knew that it might not be avoidable at times.

Sixdd wrote:
I will start in saying that I respect someone's desire to play a game the way that they want to. But seriously, this game is an MMO, so it expected that you will meet other people throughout the course of the game. Whether you play with them or not is your choice, but it is the point of the game. So where I support you in wanting to play alone, I also say, don't bash because the game won't let you completely avoid all human contact.

My two cents...

I don't think the "point" of the game is to meet other people, but I do think it's unavoidable. When hype about the lunch first started to be released it was made clear that Uru players were pretty much divided down the middle. some players love the community aspect, and some players are here for the solo mission and the puzzles. I think additional content will try to appease both sides as much as possible. I think the solo people are trying to make the community people understand why they like the solo thing and vice versa, but I don't think the game is one way or the other specifically.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next