It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yep, you heard me correctly. After one hour of running, Zrax, Paradox, and I managed to open the Delin Door by ourselves! :D

[spoiler]
How did we accomplish this impossible feat you ask? Zrax was manning the door; he shouted out the first two cloths Paradox went to the first one and I went to the second. Zrax then shouted the rest of the cloths when he had them down, then Paradox and I alternated running to the cloths. (With the exception of the two down by the bridge, one person would go and get them).
[/spoiler]
Anyway w00000000t!

WE DID IT :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Awesome!! Well done guys! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:56 pm 

Yeah! That was likely the most fun I've ever had in Uru!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

So, the big question I have is do you get more time to solve the thing the fewer people are in the age? Or, conversely, less time if there are more people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:22 pm 

Would it seem really smug, if I said we solved it with two people here. Though we were using computers in adjoining rooms, so we didn't need to use the KI to communicate, just shouting! And it still took a lot of attempts to get more efficient, and a bit of luck to eventually get an order that made it quick for us to move between cloths in a good order.

But it was still great fun, if a bit frantic.

A bit like catching the mouse that just ran into my room and hid behind my CD unit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:27 pm 

theseus01uk wrote:
Would it seem really smug, if I said we solved it with two people here.

:roll: Thanks for ruining our victory

:P

Congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, me and my bud solved it with two as well :D We were on the phone with each other. I posted the strategy on another thread. [spoiler]Basically, let one note down the sequence while the other gets in position for the first one and then direct traffic from there. Each of us took half the area to sort of patrol, with one moving to the next while the other was getting their marker. If you can hit one every eight seconds, you'll be fine.[/spoiler]

We solved it once and my bud crashed loading Rudenna, so we had to do it again. Then we went from my neighborhood instead of his, and it took us about 15 attempted runs to realize the cloths were different. :roll:

Bryan: 00120717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:10 am 

What I want to know is this: did you also make it through the door?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:49 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
Yep, you heard me correctly. After one hour of running, Zrax, Paradox, and I managed to open the Delin Door by ourselves! :D

[spoiler]
How did we accomplish this impossible feat you ask? Zrax was manning the door; he shouted out the first two cloths Paradox went to the first one and I went to the second. Zrax then shouted the rest of the cloths when he had them down, then Paradox and I alternated running to the cloths. (With the exception of the two down by the bridge, one person would go and get them).
[/spoiler]
Anyway w00000000t!

WE DID IT :D :D :D :D :D

that is indeed impressive. I just got through with a great group of 8 or 9. It took about 20 tries and a few hours, we we eventually got it. great fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:

Yep, although Paradox almost got shut out :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:04 am 

I did it twice (well, a fail then success) with two groups of 8.

First time was kind of chaotic due to lots of people talking at same time, often without using '/shout' :roll: , lots of lagging due to millions of other players zooming around the Age (btw, why DO ppl RUN everywhere?) - sometimes pressing the cloths for you at unexpect moments - and people disappearing from their cloths with and without notice once we'd finally gotten organised. Needless to say, we all got tired and went to bed.

Second time, our group of eight got in (last thing for the others but first thing early morning for me) had the place more or less to ourselves. We got organised (that in itself was fun) and did the sequence - and it opened first time. :shock:

So there was me pounding back up the garden thinking "Hold the door you B***!" :)

So here's a suggestion - get a group of 8 outside the Age to get organised (into cloth masters and door master) - ppl who are not going to leave after 5 minutes - and go in when most other sensible people are asleep (or use a private instance, of course), and only door master should call numbers and then cloth masters respond - ie. no chitchat or lols or any other talk except "Come in, door opening!" :)

Doing with 2 or 3 ppl is excellent (congrats!) but isn't it somewhat akin to attempting to do Rubic's Cube in 10 seconds? :wink:

Oh, my other thought was that maybe there should be a population limit in public Delin - maybe 16 - because many more makes the Age almost unplayable due to lag and lack of organisation. Ie. solving the Age does not depend on your playing skills and intelligence, but more on how good your computer is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

yerterday evening I did make it with only 3 people as well: shadow dude, sadecrow and myself :D we were very organized though not the same way that Paradox group made it...

But even better, after I went to a meeting i went back to Delin to find 2 people nakedible and Uniiki trying to solve the puzzle. Sade and I let them have fun finding out the puzzle and we told them we could help them if needed by following any orders they would give us .... but they seem determined to solve the puzzle by themselves so we staid there and just encouraged them and wow, after many tries, they made it : they opened the door under our admirative eyes : very sadly one of them crashed just after that so they had to come back and try again. I don't know if they managed to do it a second time cos I had to go to bed after a while but congratulations to nakedible and Uniikki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Romer Openfield wrote:

I had the job of hitting the final cloth, which happened to be down by the second gazeebo. My friend said "The door is opening!" and we stopped to celebrate, then he said "Uhh, you better hurry, it's closing already." He had already stepped inside. I managed to just clear the rising door with a running jump. But as some have reported, my friend crashed linking, so we had to do it again anyway. :shock:

Bryan: 00120717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

zam wrote:
very sadly one of them crashed just after that so they had to come back and try again. I don't know if they managed to do it a second time cos I had to go to bed after a while but congratulations to nakedible and Uniikki

Thanks!

We came back, and tried for a while - but then noticed that half of the time the cloth presses were not registering properly. Then we both restarted our clients and made it on the second try after that.

Our system was rather simple:
[spoiler]Uniikki stood at the door, I was waiting around the center. Uniikki presses the door and tells immediately the first cloth to press to which I start running to. After that, Uniikki tells the rest 6 cloths in order. Then we both start taking the every second cloths in order, so all in all, I take the first two cloths, then Uniikki takes the next, then I, then Uniikki, then I, then Uniikki.[/spoiler]

We also noticed a nifty thing about the puzzle:
[spoiler]The cloth is getting pressed by the game immediately when the player clicks on the cloth. That is, the player character actually aligning with the cloth and touching it making the cloth shine has nothing to do with it - the symbol on the door flashes exactly when the button is clicked (well, taking lag in to account, but that's milliseconds anyway).

So, if you are doing this as a group, you can yell the touched message immediately when you have clicked, no need to wait for the animation. That should shave off a second or two if the other guy is ready to press the next cloth as well.[/spoiler]

And oh yeah, it was great fun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]