It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should emotes/player interactions that allow characters to express themselves romantically be added to Myst Online?
Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:29 am
Yes 21%  21%  [ 26 ]
No 79%  79%  [ 95 ]
Total votes : 121
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:29 am 

Well this is my first post to these forums and whilst not new to the Myst series new to Myst Online.

At present I play another game, The Matrix Online, where my character is currently engaged to another character. We have discussed the possiblity of playing other games together as we are very good friends and have thoroughly spent our gaming experiences together. I came across Myst Online about a month ago through a gaming site called MMORPG (www.mmorpg.com)

I've been taking a look through the lists for emotes and player interactions that can be found over various websites etc. Upon looking at the list however one thing came to my mind: Where are the emotes/commands that allow players to interact with one another in a romantic sense? The only one I can see thus far is a /blowkiss. This seems to me to imply at least some thought was given to the idea of adding these elements.

I think we'd both be interested in playing this game together, but we'd also both like to keep out characters interactions at least on par with what we have shared in our other game.

I realise that this game isn't necessarily "adult" related. But I can quite imagine a lot of adults playing this game and wanting to build adult based role played relationships. I think if the things I'm looking for aren't present in this game at present, that some consideration should be given to implementing them into the game.

Was wondering what others might think. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to respond further or add your thoughts here.

Look forward to meeting some of you in game soon.

---------------------------------

Mod note: Left the word romantically; removed the other word which, in spirit, already violates Uru's code of conduct. Remember, this is a family-friendly forum as well. Thanks, RV.

Last edited by Darmath on Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:50 am 

Oh boy, talk about a controversial topic :lol:

A few thoughts:
  1. The online Myst community has always tried to stay about as G-rated as it gets. Sexuality generally clashes with that concept.
  2. This should probably be constrained to private/personal Ages. Maybe certain hoods. If the hood is public, though, the client should probably issue a non-G warning.
  3. This opens the door to abuse, though we always have CCR for that…

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:57 am 

Welcome to Uru Live!

Romance in Uru Live is not unheard of - I think at least two couples have met in Uru and since gotten married.

If you'd like to see your suggestion implemented, you could submit a feature request through the support option (upper right tab on this page). In the meantime, I have a few words on the subject:

First, be aware of your audience. Uru is accessible by rather young players, and it might significantly detract from their experience if they were to find Ae'gura full of people kissing each other.

Second, be careful of things that might easily give way to harassment. Cyan is probably less likely to put in a feature that could be easily abused, so suggestive KImotions are probably not going to be implemented. (Of course, it couldn't hurt to ask.)

Third, you should also know that you can create custom lines of text by typing "/me" and then an action in third person. For example, "/me wants to hold your hand" would come out "Owehn wants to hold your hand" in the chat window. Be careful, though, since messages made this way are always broadcast to everyone in the Age.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Well... some women were harrased some time ago on MOUL... Can you imagine what will happen if there will even be romantic emotes?

I don't think it's really necessary and the cons outweigh the pros.

And I rather have Cyan working on new Ages. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:28 am 

...although...a /hug would be nice... *drifts away in thoughts*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:48 am 
Obduction Backer

In Second Life, if someone tries to use a multi-player emote on you (hugs, taking hands, etc.), you get a small pop-up window in the top right corner asking if animation x by user y is allowed to animate your character. If you don't want to, you can click "no" or just ignore the window altogether.

Uru would benefit by something like that, especially after the recent cases of Relto spamming ("Player X wants to share his Relto with you. Do you accept?" instead of full-screen Relto book in front of your face).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:22 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
In Second Life, if someone tries to use a multi-player emote on you (hugs, taking hands, etc.), you get a small pop-up window in the top right corner asking if animation x by user y is allowed to animate your character. If you don't want to, you can click "no" or just ignore the window altogether.

Actually this is the same exact way that such emotes are implemented in The Matrix Online.

I'm also well aware of the G-Rating for this game. The thing is, is witnessing two characters who have agreed to kiss one another actually that harmful to a child? Especially given what our young children of today see on television, the Internet etc.

Of course any such interaction should alway involve requesting another players consent. But I believe requiring another's consent actually deals with the problems of harrassment in itself.

I'm not advocating that we see lots of detail...Afterall this isn't that kind of game...But surely a kiss interaction wouldn't hurt...Nor would a hug. Although I'd say that wasn't quite enough.

I'd like to say that I think this game looks great. Just think this would be a great addition for the adult section of the community, who I'm guessing would dominate over many of the children playing given that in order to play this game one must be over the age of majority in most countries as I am certain that most people will choose to pay by a credit card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Darmath wrote:
witnessing two characters who have agreed to kiss one another actually that harmful to a child?

Ask 100 different people and you'll get 100 different answers on that one. Some groups will be OK with only married people kissing; some other with only engaged and married people, but not unmarried people living in common law; others will not want underage couples kissing (and which age is underage? the one in new mexico or the one in their real life country?); others will be OK with 'normal' couples kissing but not gay couples. The only thing they'd all agree upon is to sue GameTap if they find anything that they think will be harmful to their child.

So yes, it seems a pretty innocent thing, but it's actually one huge can of worms waiting to be opened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:35 pm 

I say no thanks. I don't even mean about the child element. I mean about the whole thing. I would rather Uru stand apart from that. I am jarred enough just by turning around and seeing someone just standing there when I thought I was alone. Turning around and seeing two folks making out would turn my stomach. :shock: That's not why I am playing this game. I would think that's not why most of us are, though I'm not trying to speak for everyone.

-Bonnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Get a Room!

and thats all I can say about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sexually charged gestures are definitely against the spirit of Myst / Uru. There's no direct objection against romantic gestures, but they could easily be abused, so I think we're better off without them.

(A /hug would be nice, but that can easily be simulated by standing close to each other and looking at your KI)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:55 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

IMO, it doesn't have a place in Uru. We are exploring an ancient civilization, uncovering the lives and workings of the D'ni. It's not the place I would expect to come across someone out on a date...or more. :shock:

I think that given the nature of Uru and it's community that having 'adult' emotes would cause more harm than good. Too many years have been spent developing and maintaining the family friendly, G-rated atmosphere in Uru. I don't want to see it cluttered with romantic/sexual escapades. There are plenty of other games out there for that.

If I want to give my man a hug or a kiss, I leave my explorations and go do so....../afk. I have better things to do when I'm exploring. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

You'll never see this in an American run company, especially one that has management "stepping down" over a lite-brite "bomb scare" that was a completely illogical overreaction on the part of someone else outside the company.

America is somewhat backwards when it comes to romance and sexuality. We all exist because of it, but the most vocal Americans believe that it's somehow 'evil'.

If the company were European, you might have a better shot. Over there, they're comfortable with human nature. 'ell, they even have billboards with complete full frontal nudity over there, as well as commercials at 3PM on the TV with nudity as well. They don't cover up nudity in any way, and in general are a bit more comfortable with the parts of ourselves we all see every day.

They're a bit anti-violence, of course, (Germany is a bit hyper-paranoid about violence, possibly as bad as America is about sex), but I say that's a far better and healthier stance than an anti-sex one.

All that said, I certainly don't want anything more than hugging/kissing in Uru. At least not in an unrestricted aspect. You'll end up seeing two people writhing around at the top of the Great Stair otherwise, and parents who choose to not let their kid see that sort of stuff until they're older will keep them from playing Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

As one who played Matrix Online for over a year I do miss the "hug" emote. The way it implemented in Matrix is the way it could be done here in Uru (dialog box asking if you accept the hug from so and so — simple as that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:51 pm 

Moleculor wrote:
America is somewhat backwards when it comes to romance and sexuality. We all exist because of it, but the most vocal Americans believe that it's somehow 'evil'.

Did me wizard's ears hear right? Oh, and this used to be such a lovely country... a place where Henry Miller and the Dharma Gang once roamed the hills around Big Sur ala natural...

Oh, me, oh my... what is the ole world coming too? :?

But I seen with me own eyes a couple of nice young people just the other night having a pleasant walk along the library path... seemed innocent enough, but you can never tell :wink:

And, I read recently of that cheery couple who ran off and eloped... I mean, what is the world coming too... :roll:

All I can say is: Let humans out of their cages and no telling what'll happen... :oops:

Well this wizard sure hopes the "avi police" and the "thought patrols" aren't listening in own my little niche of the Cavern... those little fascistic controllers might exist, but this old wizard's gonna cast a spell round his avi and those in his circle to keep them safe from that rascally tribe of agents... :x

Not that I'd step over the line of avi decorum, but the idea of enforced discretion is a little absurd in a world where humans are free within limits... me thinks that people will razz the offenders who do step over the line and do not need any civil force to do this thank you... in fact, those GameTap boys and girls have a nice little place you can go to put in your complaints... who knows, just might see the offender in one of those holding cells in Gahreesen.... so you better watch your step... and, you know who i'm talking about, don't you? :shock:

Last edited by earthwizard on Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next