It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:51 pm 

I still have trouble believing that the D'ni, who separated from the rest of the Ronay specifically because they were against the enslavement of other races, would continue to knowingly enslave the Bahro. Then again, perhaps by that point it had been going on that they either accepted it as "the way things are supposed to be", or completely forgot.

MatzeEdend, I believe this is what you are looking for: "Then, to the astonishment of them all, he had brought out a great tub of ink -- lifting a hadnful of the fine dark granules so that they could see."

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:47 am 

Frisky Badger wrote:
I still have trouble believing that the D'ni, who separated from the rest of the Ronay specifically because they were against the enslavement of other races, would continue to knowingly enslave the Bahro. Then again, perhaps by that point it had been going on that they either accepted it as "the way things are supposed to be", or completely forgot.

MatzeEdend, I believe this is what you are looking for: "Then, to the astonishment of them all, he had brought out a great tub of ink -- lifting a hadnful of the fine dark granules so that they could see."

Thanks, I was almost tempted to dig through the piles of junk on my desk to look for the book... ALMOST.

And I don't think that slavery was the only ideological reason the D'ni split from the rest of the Ronay. The overindulging lyfestyle the they were used to might have been a factor, and Ri'neref wanted his followers to return to a simpler way of living. The ideological decay of Ronay society might have been a factor in the downfall of Garternay, just as global warming is affecting us. The destruction of Garternay might have been THEIR FAULT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
"Then, to the astonishment of them all, he had brought out a great tub of ink -- lifting a hadnful of the fine dark granules so that they could see."

Any way that we can get a page number from you on that caption?

And the book (ie. Myst reader.) Chapter ect...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:19 am 

Quote:
Any way that we can get a page number from you on that caption?

And the book (ie. Myst reader.) Chapter ect...

Found it!

Myst: The Book of Ti'ana

Part six; page 433 (the book is divided into long chapters called parts, and then sub-divided by paragraphs with the D'ni number 6 (i think, I can't remember my D'ni numbers very well. its the one that sort of looks like I)vI )

The speech was made by Master Urren of the guild of Ink-makers (to a class of first-year Book-makers) and is basically talking about the secrets that make the D'ni great, and as guildsmen they are privy to the great power that comes with those secrets. The idea of being the "heir" of these secrets is what first gave Gehn his preconceptions of the D'ni that eventually led to the megalomaniac that we know and love. " It's the D'ni way. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:56 pm 

A little thing the popped into my head: The theory that the Bahro had to be native to Garternay for them to be the source of the original Ink for linking is fallacy. Keep in mind that the Bahro could link on their own, and so they easily could have been in Garternay and still originated from Noloben.

My personal theory, however, is that the bahro and the beetles are not evolutionary counterparts, but merely alternate aspects of each other on the great tree of possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:48 am 

LuigiHann wrote:
Well, if I'm not mistaken, Gehn wrote Riven with those beetles included, because they could be used for ink (Just as he wrote in the Great Tree because it could be used to make paper). That suggests to me that he wrote the age with Writing in mind, and given his respect for D'ni traditions, he would have planned to Write the same way the D'ni did.

Yes, Gehn did in fact do that, but if I remember correctly, he wrote in one of his journals that the paper and ink were flawed, which led him to incorporate the fire marble domes to supply enough power to hold a stable link.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3