It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:04 am 

Kerryth wrote:
Quote:
They sure read like they belong about a century later.
Yeah I agree Kerryth. In the BoT there is a mention of Anna seeing steam engines in books. Steam engines in books, hummmm I am so confused my head hurts.
Szark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 am 

There were ancient steam engines in Greece and Rome, Hero invented some and there were others, mostly used as toys but also as religious machines and other uses. :) it is an intriguing discussion. :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject: Re: ti'ana
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:46 am 

Lontahv wrote:
The interesting thing is that when you look at real history--Ti'Ana has to be Spanish, there's now other way that it can work."

I hate to tell you but Ti'ana is Anna D'ni name thats what they called her later. [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The interesting thing is that when you look at real history--Ti'Ana has to be Spanish, there's now other way that it can work. Also, it makes sense because her father was looking for gold--er... kinda.

Ruled by the Spanish, yes, but he could easily be of a different nationality. Also, wasn't it silver?

Quote:
The heyday of the "gentleman scientist explorer" was decades later. Given it was New Mexico, I've always felt the back story of Atrus' family is far more plausible if it took place at least half a century later than we've been told.

There is still the possibility of Anna's father being a minor explorer (focusing more on geology, but oh well) that was sent by Spain. Countries would send out explorers of other nationalities quite often.

Quote:
Geology as a science barely existed even a century later. There weren't a lot of similar ventures to have a record of success in, and what record there was would have been known to few during his lifetime.

Irrelevant. Although the science of geology might be more modern, people have been surveying (which was more what he was doing, and would be especially desired in newly colonized areas) and looking for metals for a loooong time. As I mentioned before, countries and large corporations (I'm thinking like the British East India thing and all, except some Spanish one) would often pick people regardless of nationality.

Post subject: Re: ti'ana
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 am 

stephenisakeeper wrote:
Lontahv wrote:
The interesting thing is that when you look at real history--Ti'Ana has to be Spanish, there's now other way that it can work."

I hate to tell you but Ti'ana is Anna D'ni name thats what they called her later.

Bah, my bad.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2