It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nexus Question
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:41 am 

Ok, continuity thing here... I've always wondered: did the D'ni write the instances of Nexus, or did Yeesha instance them? I.E. did every D'ni citizen with a KI have an instance of Nexus, or what the Nexus a public area that multiple people could be in at once?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:20 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't know how it was intended to be interpreted in MOUL, but in Uru Live, I think the instancing of the Nexus was a wink-wink, nudge-nudge sort of situation that didn't actually exist in the context of the game world, but was a necessary evil due to the need for individual, unfettered, unhurried access to the Book Machine. I think there was a fan-invented explanation floating around that the Nexus was in fact a large collection of individual access chambers that cycled as people linked into them, so that the link-in point was virtually guaranteed to be inside of an empty one. I don't know how factual that is, though. It may in fact just be that one tiny little room, which doesn't make much sense when you try to apply it as a concept for a mass-transit system... ;)

Honestly, I think Cyan went way overboard with making the instancing canon in MOUL... a lot of it was clever tricks and nonsense that was aimed at being viewed from an OOC-only perspective. Things like the Uran Silo accessible from Er'cana are a perfect example of this... In-Cavern, it should be a single, public location that you just conveniently never see anybody else in, unless they come from your Er'cana. All of the pellets fall into the same lake, because there's only one lake for them to fall into. There's no absurd attempts to rationalize how an instanced lake could contribute to the public lake's light level, which is what happens when all instancing is treated as an IC concept.

Obviously some instancing is IC, like the instancing of Ages on the Journey and whatnot. But not all of it ought to be, IMNSHO. Hopefully, RAWA and the rest of the guys at Cyan can help to clear up the IC vs. OOC nature of each instance of, um, instancing as we move forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:52 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Alahmnat wrote:
a large collection of individual access chambers that cycled as people linked into them, so that the link-in point was virtually guaranteed to be inside of an empty one.

Just remember that every time you use the Nexus, several of the hundreds of Unseen, harnessed into cycling system of this contraption to make it operate, die for your pleasure. Have a nice day. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:02 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
Alahmnat wrote:
a large collection of individual access chambers that cycled as people linked into them, so that the link-in point was virtually guaranteed to be inside of an empty one.

Just remember that every time you use the Nexus, several of the hundreds of Unseen, harnessed into cycling system of this contraption to make it operate, die for your pleasure. Have a nice day. ;)

That was very glaDOS of you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:09 pm 

Oh bad memories of BoD

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:49 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:

Many Bothans died giving us this Nexus.

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Bothans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Bothans?

Star Wars (Return of the Jedi, specifically), to continue the geeky cross-culture references ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:33 pm 

Alahmnat wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:
Bothans?

Star Wars (Return of the Jedi, specifically), to continue the geeky cross-culture references ;).

How many Bothans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer: 1 to screw it in, and 100 to die trying. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:16 am 

Calam wrote:
Alahmnat wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:
Bothans?

How many Bothans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer: 1 to screw it in, and 100 to die trying. :lol:

Bothans are spies. They don't screw in the lightbulb, but they can probably tell you the name, social security number, and color of underpants of the person who does :lol:

Well, with that out of the way, I tend to agree that the Nexus chambers move to accomidate for every new person... probably runs of the same style of mechanism used in the cathedral.

"When you are courting a beautiful woman an hour seems like a second. When you are sitting on a hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That is relativity" -Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps this sheds some light on the issue:
Quote:
vid:
Mister Laxman… first off, I’d like to wish you a happy birthday. But I do have a question…. if the KI was not yet distributed throughout the D’ni populous, how large was the risk of someone being trapped in the Nexus?
Victor Laxman:
Great question. From what we’ve seen that actually was part of the plan…
Victor Laxman:
The elite members of society who had access to KIs could move freely…
Victor Laxman:
But anyone without a KI would be entrapped - providing a certain level of protection for the…
Victor Laxman:
upper eschelon. We assume that the Nexus was monitored back then and…
Victor Laxman:
those who were trapped were fined and released. But we’re not sure on that point.

http://drcarch.thecitadel.nl/communicat ... wn-hall-9/

Also note that the KIs weren't used by the D'ni public yet. They were almost ready for the public at the time of the Fall. I think that's in that KI notebook from Gahreesen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:52 pm 

I suppose this explains the size of the nexus, but it still doesn't explain why it's instanced or how they planned to handle the large influx of the public into a small space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

When the D'ni made it they did not plan on having it instanced, because they did not know about instances. It is instanced now because of the large amount of people: there would be too much waiting if there were only one nexus. Presumably the D'ni would have expanded it and added more machines if more people got KIs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:50 pm 

Then the question remains: who instanced it? Yeesha's stamp isn't on any of the Nexus books...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Either Yeesha or the bahro or some heretofore unknown entity did it, since they are the only ones we know of who know how to instance.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next