It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Star fissure?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:37 pm 

I'm sure this topic had been covered already, but I'm fairly new to the forums so here it goes: why is there initially a type of star fissure in the Bahro Caves until all four pillars are taken to Relto, at which point D'ni is below them thereafter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:50 pm 

I always thought they were separate caves. I was under the impression that, since it's the Bahro, they link us to where the totems are originally, and then to where they need to be later. At least that's just the way I justify the difference to myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Kemp87 wrote:
I always thought they were separate caves. I was under the impression that, since it's the Bahro, they link us to where the totems are originally, and then to where they need to be later. At least that's just the way I justify the difference to myself.

The KI's location indicator (in Myst Online, anyway) backs you up here... in the blue cave above the Fissure, it lists your location as "???". In the orange cave above D'ni, it lists your location as "D'ni - Rudenna".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was always of the opinion that the Cave was the same one but it wasn't anchored to a specific point in time and space until you have taken the poles and bring them back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm 

Ah ok. I never had the opputunity to join in with UO, so my KI didn't have that function added to it. But what about the location of the blue cave? Does it exist in the void of the Fissure? Do we even know if it indeed is the Fissure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 pm 

Erhm, I'm not sure about the fissure. It's a void that can support life, as you can breath while in it, but apart from that it merely links Riven to Earth, and was an intentionally created entity made by Katran and Anna in the Book of Atrus (if I remember right).

In that case, there's no way that the "Star Fissure" of Riven could have held the Bahro caves, which are centuries upon centuries older. I'm gunna go with what was said above that the blue caves are trapped in a void that contains neither time nor space. It's a wrinkle in time, pun intended.

Again, with BoA, correct me if I'm wrong about it. Was the "Star Fissure" made by Katran or was just the physical wear that opened up the gaping hole what was written in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:21 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

It was part of a plot hatched by Catherine and Anna to help Atrus trap Gehn and escape themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:03 pm 

f

"Believe that you may know."

Last edited by Shivron219 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:03 pm 

Nek'rahm wrote:
Erhm, I'm not sure about the fissure. It's a void that can support life, as you can breath while in it, but apart from that it merely links Riven to Earth, and was an intentionally created entity made by Katran and Anna in the Book of Atrus (if I remember right).

In that case, there's no way that the "Star Fissure" of Riven could have held the Bahro caves, which are centuries upon centuries older. I'm gunna go with what was said above that the blue caves are trapped in a void that contains neither time nor space. It's a wrinkle in time, pun intended.

Again, with BoA, correct me if I'm wrong about it. Was the "Star Fissure" made by Katran or was just the physical wear that opened up the gaping hole what was written in?

I disagree. Atrus and Catherine did make the Fissure to help them escape Riven, but they had no idea as to what would happen if it opened, or the very nature of the Fissure. Catherine would have never used it if she had known the deteriorating effect it would have on her homeworld (granted the Age was already deteriorating bc of Ghen's flawed writing). Moreover the Fissure is not just a bridge that links Riven and D'ni, but an entity that seems to bridge entire universes. Keep in mind that it was the Fissure who delivered the Myst book to the user in the first game, and it was also the Fissure that dropped the remnants of the Scope and the Wahrk bones near the cleft. So who's to say that the Bahro Caves aren't positioned above the Fissure? The KI obviously can't track where you are, so ultimately the exact location is left to speculation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes the Fissure was created unintentionally when Catherine (instructed by Ti'ana/Anna) wrote changes into the Riven book.

The Fissure doesn't just lead from Riven to Earth, it also leads from Relto to Earth. It's been speculated that the clouds Gehn saw in his studies of the Fissue was actually other Ages. The Fissure being the wood of the great tree, course whether that is true remains to be seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:25 pm 

Maybe the rift is actually a tear in the "Great Tree" and once you are inside fate/The Maker/whatever guides you to where you "need to be". Some have speculated that the Bahro are somehow "tied" to the Great Tree. If that's true, why can't the cave exist inside the rift and, later on, in D'ni (where the explorer "needs to be")?

Great discussion by the way!

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:54 am 

That's interesting, I forgot that Gehn studied the clouds in the Star Fissure. If what you're saying is true, it is a high probability that the "Star Fissure" could be the relative equal of the "Universe" in which all worlds exist.

The dark black cloud we see as we fall into the fissure is indeed the Age of Riven. However, for some reason, "all roads lead to Earth," or so it would seem. Everything that falls into the fissure returns to Earth. Why is that? Why wouldn't people return to the Age of Garternay, or the Original Age from which the Art stemmed.

Open to big discussion, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:29 am 

Nek'rahm wrote:
That's interesting, I forgot that Gehn studied the clouds in the Star Fissure. If what you're saying is true, it is a high probability that the "Star Fissure" could be the relative equal of the "Universe" in which all worlds exist.

The dark black cloud we see as we fall into the fissure is indeed the Age of Riven. However, for some reason, "all roads lead to Earth," or so it would seem. Everything that falls into the fissure returns to Earth. Why is that? Why wouldn't people return to the Age of Garternay, or the Original Age from which the Art stemmed.

Open to big discussion, eh?

I thought when Atrus and Catherine jumped into the Fissure that they ended up on Myst... oh but wait, that's bc they brought the Linking Book to Myst with them, didn't they? Interesting observation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:23 am 

I know there's a theory that the fissure always lead back to where the age was written. Both Riven and Relto were written on Earth so that would explain why everything ended up there. Can you imagine all the worlds out there just waiting to fall apart and down onto our heads! I wonder if the D'ni ever considered that. :mrgreen:

If the theory is true that is, two examples isn't much to go on. ;)
(Just considering the stability of Gehn's ages brings a question mark, he wrote over two hundred of them...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:40 pm 

Well then Junee, if you fell through the Fissure in Garternay, where would you go?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next