It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:15 pm 

TomahnaGuy wrote:
Which is odd considering the number of ages that defy the (known) laws of physics that we've seen. :shock:

TG

I remember Atrus saying something about this in the BoA, when he sees the Age Katran wrote. The physics laws are still there, maybe there are just different constants and similar.

EDIT: found the point
BoA wrote:
But how? What physical mechanism was involved? For he knew - knew, with a sudden, absolute certainty - that if this existed, then there was a physical reason why it existed. This did not break the D'ni laws, it merely twisted them; pushed them to their limits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:52 pm 

Quote:
I remember Atrus saying something about this in the BoA, when he sees the Age Katran wrote. The physics laws are still there, maybe there are just different constants and similar.

exactly. and mabye the rules of phisics that we know are biased, as we only live in 3 dimensional space :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:18 pm 

so our knowledge of the laws of phisics are flawed simple!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:56 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
According to Dr. Watson, the D'ni believed the Great Tree to have a finite number of Ages. Of course they could be wrong but, unless one has good reasons to believe or postulate otherwise, I'd stick with that assumption.

Finite number of visitiable Ages, mind you. You can Write a link to the Age of mushy molecules, where there is no solid matter, and write 9 Trillion-Gazillion-Bajillion instances of it, but those aren't Ages you can visit; they're really not even "Ages". They're links to cosmic mush. and when the D'ni refer to the Great Tree, it seems to me that they are referring to Ages that are visitable in some sense of the word; even if you get fried the moment you go there, you are there for a moment of time. You're in the Age. But if you link in to a world of no matter, you cease to exist.

:shock:

Now I've gone and scared myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Remember, again,. finite does not equal visibly limited.

Finite just means it ends somewhere. It doesn't mean that with a lifetime of age hopping you could ever visit it all.

And I think the book design itself has limits to what can be written, specifically that as it uses a language, restrictions are included along from you language's assumptions. For instance, in english you can write the famous "This sentence is a lie" but would it have a meaning for an age? Moreso, can you even write that into a linking book? (Maybe if they're not locked to a single language). Then you wonder what else is brought in.. if you can't describe it it won't happen. So your age of mush might not be doable, because the writing language doesn't involve a subatomic constant and you can't just throw in an h and hope the book spontaneously understands.

Yeesha's probably just as limited, she's just finding the boundaries of what the classic art can do. The bahro however, may use another method entirely, so they may be limited to imagination not words to what they can link to.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:20 pm 

so there may different methods to write that the D'ni haven't mastered yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:23 am 

ChaoStar wrote:
so there may different methods to write that the D'ni haven't mastered yet?

Maybe.

More on the topic, did anyone ever decipher the D'ni words on the torn sheets? I always wondered if the English was in response to what was read.

Also, I always assumed that because of the rather unique and moving music that the place had a rather dark history/nature to it. My original assumption was that it was an age Kadish himself had managed to write even more poorly, because there's a light red tint to the environment outside the vault. Makes it seem, I dunno, like it might have been a bit unstable, or like most of it was in ruins. Then I had assumed it had been an alternate volt for storing more of Kadish's stuff, but the problem was what items did remain tended to be in the same place they were in the original vault. I reached the conclusion it was a different time, but the same age, distant enough in time so that one could link from it, to it, something normally forbidden in the Art for any two links too close together. I left myself with the more chilling conclusion that Kadish, the king, had gotten the total hose. That it was a far future where the vault had been cleaned out by robbers, right down to stealing Kadish's corpse and anything of assumed value, that the doors had been destroyed (in order to rob it), and that the DRC of the future might have come back and replaced them with the different doors, and then the age finally crumpled largely into ruin. Oh, yeah, and at some point somebody (Yeesha?) had been through and left those torn bits of paper lying around, probably thinking it inconsequential to an age no one would ever visit.

Don't ask how, I think I remember a vague reference to Yeesha saving Kadish, but I'm somewhat disappointed because now I have to chastise myself for not only getting the story wrong, but also because now I have to learn the correct history and take up even more of the ridiculous (but predominantly in a good way) linking rules. :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4