It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:50 pm 

I really liked the idea of almost infinite possibilities of 'ages' existing in the universe verse the Gehn way of thinking of actually creating the age like a god. But then something shifted my way of thinking over to Gehn's. The ability to write in changes to an age and yet when you link it that age is the same 'age' as opposed to another possibility somewhere in the universe. A good example of this is Age (enter number here - I think it was 37) of Gehn's where he warmed the ocean to rid the world of the all knowing 'Whiteness'. I know striking out entries works in the way of infinite possibilies, but amended, for me at least, doesn't.

I thought I'd open that up for discussion (feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken)…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:31 am 
Obduction Backer

You're going to hate this answer...

Both.

Yeah, both. You link to an age, the link automagically finds the nearest approximate, and features exist to make it viable. Thus you can't readily link manmade objects into an age, but Gehn could still describe buildings in if there were inhabitants to have made them. Or in the alternate case of Spire a process to make it without intelligence.

However, once that link is made, it's pliable. It may or may not have existed in more than theoretic potential, but once you've linked to it you've stabalized it. Then when you change the age, you change the *age*. To a certain point, probably involving a least energy solution. When your changes to an age require more work than the link forcefully ripping itself free to an instance that better describes, it finds an instance. I think if Gehn's age hadn't had people on it to remember, he might have been able to undo it. Maybe. I'm just amazed he managed to keep the link from shifting when he corrected.. maybe he was better at it than he knew.

Or alternately it's ALL instances the whole way down, and he just changed to an instance where some cataclysm had happened according to what he wrote by the spread of infinite variation, and ALSO coincidentally was where they knew about him after alternate instance copies of Gehn and Atrus visited, and he just claimed responsibility. That's why I give no stock to that option. You can change ages, and at some point it just re-instances. The only other thing is that you force an instance fork when you change an age at ANY time after link, and if you undo stuff it has to bounce back to fork off an earlier time point, hence no one on that one age knew the pair.

Gehn was crazy, but I think he was also partly right.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:26 am 

HMPH! I didn't see the pre-existing conversation in relation to this topic. Sorry guys!

:(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]