It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:38 pm 

Karkadann wrote:

Quote:
It was a resipe for D'nied eggs and the fire place combination looked like a digital cross section of a hard boiled egg...............kinda sorta

Ah yes, I'd forgotten the easter egg - that was in POTS also. Some people have tried to work out if the recipe is another easter egg and have tried following the instructions in game but I don't think anyone succeeded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

(Moved this topic to a more appropriate forum - I don't know why it had ended up in Off Topic)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:54 pm 

About the viewer, my assumption was always simply that Atrus had only utilized crystals "versatile" enough to view his own ages. That is, I assumed he only designed his viewer to the point where it was sensitive enough, and had enough information, to view his own ages.

Then again, why all those other crystal combinations don't show us his other ages, no idea.

Artistic License?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 am 

For whomever...

RAWA wrote:

"A Writer is limited by the fact that countless Ages on the Great Tree will match any given description [...]"

Which is of course the "classic" interpretation of multiple universe theories. Score one for Cyan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 am 
Obduction Backer

If you think of it like a radio, it makes sense that not all combinations work. Even if there are hundreds of radio stations around, if you tune your radio at random there are good chances you'll only end up hearing noise or a very distorted signal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Plus, the thing about the radio is your radio is designed to only collect certain ranges. You're limited, 550 khz to 1600khz (1.6mhz) and then a jump to 88 to 108 mhz (on mine at least). It won't manage most stuff. It's not designed for it, you can't just tune the average radio in to 570mhz or something.

I imagine hte crystals are the same. His crystals are aligned perfectly (likely after far too much time spent carefully shaping them) to just a select few ages. That's it. It'd explain somewhat why we can't see a whole swath, though it's morel ikely they didn't want to develop a procedural algorithm for generating landscape depending on shapes. The ages are out of tune too much, and we just get static.

It also explains why varying colours would change the instance.. it adjusts the focus very slightly but not much, so we snag the bits across

So as it goes, the crystal viewer is cool but a real one-trick pony. You aren't gonna go peering into the DRC's kahlo HQ with it even if you found it.
However, the principles can be extended, so if you can tune the crystals right, you COULD make a viewer for kahlo or any other age in existence. Doing so however by trial and error remains madness. Riven was probably a Catherine-inspired fluke.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3