It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:06 am 

In real Myst Some of the books in the Library seem to suggest that Atrus was creating ages. In Revelation Atrus tells Yeesha something like "Writers don't create worlds that create links to them". So Perhaps an advanced writer can create a an age or world?? but as a writer you start with creating links to existing worlds. Perhaps they have a special gift that gives them the ability to see other worlds and the skills to create a link to what they see.

what-do-ya-think

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Last edited by Karkadann on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Gehn, Atrus's father, believed he was a god and thus creating worlds. In time, Atrus came to believe the opposite: that they were just linking to previously existing branches of the Great Tree. As far as we know, that's what the D'ni believed as well, and they considered themselves to be keepers of the Ages rather than creators.

Whether you believe in the linking theory or the creation theory, it's usually an or-or: either you link to all Ages, or you create them all. I think this is the first time someone suggested a "sometimes you link, sometimes you create" theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:33 pm 

I was thinking more alone the lines of first you learn to fix a something and if you learn enough you can build one. Although creating a world seems to be a task best left to someone of a more omnipotent level of intelligence. I think opening a door to another world apposed to creating a world would be much easer.

I can't help but wonder how the Multiple Worlds Interpretation (or in this case Multiple Ages Interpretation) of Quantum mechanics is somehow a part of all this, which might suggest the other ages already exist and the Magic of writing is just opening a door to them.

Do they see the age somehow then write a link to it, if so how do they see the age, and how did they learn to use words to create this link? I always liked comparing the Myst Series to a good book A book drags you in to the story but just as an observer, Myst go's beyond and allows you become part of the story, far more then just an observer. Something a traditional book has yet to do

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
I can't help but wonder how the Multiple Worlds Interpretation (or in this case Multiple Ages Interpretation) of Quantum mechanics is somehow a part of all this

I think RAWA applied the Pratchett interpretation of quantum to the Myst world: there are a lot of them and they do a lot of stuff, but the literature is somewhat fuzzy on the specifics.

Quote:
Do they see the age somehow then write a link to it

Histories would say no - the first glimpse they had of an Age was after the first link, for the linking panel would be black and swirly before that (like the Relto book in the blue caves). But then, a D'ni would probably tell you that a good Writer would not need to see the Age anyway: he would already know the result in his mind.

Atrus' imager seems to be the first piece of technology able to forge a visual link, if only a temporary one, without the need for Words.

Quote:
and how did they learn to use words to create this link?

Wouldn't we all love to know. :D

Quote:
A book drags you in to the story but just as an observer, Myst go's beyond and allows you become part of the story, far more then just an observer.

I think that was the basic principle behind the idea of the Linking Books, and the rest of the Art and mythology was then built around that concept. Who never dreamed of being able to actually enter the book he was reading?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:42 am 

Who never dreamed of being able to actually enter the book he was reading?

:- )

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:02 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
I can't help but wonder how the Multiple Worlds Interpretation (or in this case Multiple Ages Interpretation) of Quantum mechanics is somehow a part of all this, which might suggest the other ages already exist and the Magic of writing is just opening a door to them.

Right.You may be interested in reading some letters about Linking written by RAWA: Linking Facts

Quote:
Do they see the age somehow then write a link to it, if so how do they see the age

The basic concept of the Art is that "if something has a possibility to happen, it will happen". The multiple possibilities are represented by the different Ages.
So, a Writer could write whatever he wants (within limits of the Art rules) and he will always get a link to an existing Age.

Quote:
and how did they learn to use words to create this link?

IIRC the D'ni didn't use the D'ni language/alphabet to write links, but a very special set of words known as Gahrohevtee (Great Words). AFAIK we don't know much about them. It was one of the Guld of Writers tasks to teach them to the Guildsmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:23 pm 

From what I understood about the linking and descriptive books, it seems to combine astral projection and teleportation, almost as if the linking book astral projects you to an alternative world and then teleports the rest, combining your physical and your astral self in an alternative reality in one fell swoop.

The Descriptive book, with all the possibilities described in the Multiple Worlds Interpretation seems to be a door that allows you to explore them and then find a stable area where you write a linking book so others can explore.

I always did enjoy the way they combined Science fact Science fantasy and science fiction into an unforgettable mixture that seem so real and seemingly theoretical possible

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Leonardo wrote:
IIRC the D'ni didn't use the D'ni language/alphabet to write links, but a very special set of words known as Gahrohevtee (Great Words). AFAIK we don't know much about them.

In fact, we know so little about them that for all we know they could use the D'ni language/alphabet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Leonardo wrote:
So, a Writer could write whatever he wants (within limits of the Art rules) and he will always get a link to an existing Age.

The rules of the Art were made specifically to get stable links: it is very possible to Write a Descriptive book that does NOT work, because there is no reality that fits to the description given.

Karkadann wrote:
combining your physical and your astral self in an alternative reality in one fell swoop.

There is really no mention of astral planes or any other special dimension in the linking lore. The Books transport the whole of you in one go - or, in some interpretations, do not move you at all and just change your observations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:21 pm 

Ian wrote:
The rules of the Art were made specifically to get stable links: it is very possible to Write a Descriptive book that does NOT work, because there is no reality that fits to the description given.

This is why I wrote "within the Art rules" :lol:

Gorobay wrote:
In fact, we know so little about them that for all we know they could use the D'ni language/alphabet.

It's possible but I remember in the first part of the BoA, when Atrus is still with Anna, she shows him a Gahrohevtee; and from what I could read it seemed that Gahrohevtee and D'ni normal alphabet were different things.
I don't have the book here now to check exactly what is written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Leonardo wrote:
Gorobay wrote:

It's possible but I remember in the first part of the BoA, when Atrus is still with Anna, she shows him a Gahrohevtee; and from what I could read it seemed that Gahrohevtee and D'ni normal alphabet were different things.
I don't have the book here now to check exactly what is written.

BoA says a lot of things that are inaccurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:49 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
combining your physical and your astral self in an alternative reality in one fell swoop.

There is really no mention of astral planes or any other special dimension in the linking lore. The Books transport the whole of you in one go - or, in some interpretations, do not move you at all and just change your observations.[/quote]

So the words and ink produce the teleportation necessary, I heard on the news that they where able to transport light photons like they do is Star Trek but the whole person.....with just words and ink. fascinating.

Changes your observations?? like seeing something thats not their?? Thats what made me think of the astral plane and alternative realities, in the physical world neither one of them exist.

What do they put in that ink, perhaps its absorbed threw the skin. what a trip.............
could not resist that one, I do apologize

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
Changes your observations?? like seeing something thats not their?

I was using observation'in the quantum sense: taking a probability wave/cloud and locking it to a specific state.

Or if you want to get philosophical, everything we know is filtered through our senses, so we cannot know what is really "out there" - just what we perceive of it. For all we know Books just change what we think the world is and we are not 'teleported' anywhere. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:21 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Ian Atrus wrote:
For all we know Books just change what we think the world is and we are not 'teleported' anywhere. :wink:

Or the books are alive and we are just their imaginings. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
Karkadann wrote:
Changes your observations?? like seeing something thats not their?

I was using observation'in the quantum sense: taking a probability wave/cloud and locking it to a specific state.

Or if you want to get philosophical, everything we know is filtered through our senses, so we cannot know what is really "out there" - just what we perceive of it. For all we know Books just change what we think the world is and we are not 'teleported' anywhere. :wink:

It would seem simpler to change our perception, until you have more then one person perceiving what seems to be the same thing then you also havta make a connection between all of them so they can interact with each other.

On the other hand teleportation into one of the places quantum mechanics suggest almost seems easier when more then one person is involved

E=mc2

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next