It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Origins of the Bahro...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:21 am 

I just wanted to present some thoughts I have about exactly where the Bahro came from, and how the Ronay/D'ni (it isn't clear which) were able to enslave them as they did. I argue that the Bahro were not found on some Age and subsequently enslaved; instead, they were written.

We know that these mysterious rocks (Bahro stones, the Tablet, etc...) are some alternative form of linking technology; we do not know exactly where it comes from, though it is in some way connected to the Bahro. Due in part to this connection and also to similarity in form, I argue that the Tablet and the Bahro stones are of similar make; they are indeed instruments of the same linking technology.

Secondly, I argue that the Bahro cannot be the sole users of such technology; if they are intelligent, they would not have produced the Tablet that enslaved them, so someone else must have created it.

So at some point, somebody must have mastered the use of these mysterious rocks as an alternative to conventional Writing technology. I believe they produced such a rock that described a species that could link anywhere, a species that could be compelled to do anything through the use of similar technologies; I believe somebody wrote the Bahro as a slave race. The Tablet is their descriptive book; in returning possession of it to the Bahro, they were freed in that none could compel them to do anything anymore.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:37 am 

The Ronay did not have the Tablet. If they had, it would have gone to Terahnee.

Odds are that the Bahro were the natives of the Cavern, and the Tablet was constructed to control them and allow D'ni to use the space which the Bahro would normally territorially defend.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:51 am 

Yeah, I would reason from the Relyimah revolts that they had nothing like the Tablet.

The problem with the D'ni encountering the Bahro in the Cavern is that I can see no means by which they could have produced such an artifact to control a species that already existed, and did so in many different worlds.

It would have been much easier to write control of the Bahro into their description.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:59 am 

Hmm... Noloben.

...and intelligence is not equal to wisdom...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:20 pm 

It's been awhile since I played Myst V, but Escher did say Noloben was the Bahro's home (whether it was their origin /shrug, but usually home can be defined as origin). And correct me if I'm wrong, I think Esher had said or was implied that Noloben was the Esher family Vacation Age or something, cause he escaped there during the Fall.

If indeed Noloben was Esher's Age, then did he write the Age or a family member of his? I guess it would have to be a member of his family from way back if the Bahro had been enslaved that long. And then the Maintainers would have to had it approved. So, then if the Bahro were written in, already enslaved to the Tablet and anyone who had the Tablet, does that mean Esher's family was in the High Council or some such powerful post?

And if it wasn't Esher's family Age then the Age would have to been approved through the Council to write secretly as I would assume to have written in a Slaved population would have been illegal. Maybe the Maintainers just stumble on to the Tablet?

Thanks for listening to my rambles! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:03 am 

Well here's the thing. At some point the Tablet had to be created, and at some point the Bahro had to be found. If you wrote a descriptive book that didn't even mention Bahro, the probability of encountering a species that could link is low; the probability of encountering a species that could link AND that was somehow connected to this mysterious Tablet is even lower.

Of course, it is also possible that somebody managed to produce this Tablet after the fact, or that Linking is such that any species requires a similar sort of technology to be able to link at will.

It does seem like Noloben might be a good fit though. The snakes there seem evolved to combat the Bahro.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:13 am 
Obduction Backer

I'd be surprised if Esher wrote the Age or was somehow involved in the construction of the tablets or enslaving of the Bahro. A trailer for Myst V seems to indicate that Esher was surprised by the Bahro when he first used the tablet to communicate with them. He also refers the the Bahro linking 'tech' as an abomination. Doesn't sound like something he'd had a hand in creating.

What strikes me odd about the Tablet the whole quest for it. Someone has to release the Tablet, right? So once you have it, you have the choice.

Keeping it seems to be a problem - it does something to you and then goes right back to the podium, all locked up. Both Yeesha and Esher seem to have taken that route and now they can no longer touch the Tablet.

But we can choose to give it to someone else. And, it seems that if you are given the Tablet, you can actually use it somehow. The question is, why? Why can it only be used by someone who has been given it? What governs that mechanism?

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:32 am 

I don't recall trying to give the Tablet to Yeesha or Esher... Do they get to keep it if you do that?

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:19 am 

Kolian wrote:
I don't recall trying to give the Tablet to Yeesha or Esher... Do they get to keep it if you do that?

Yes.

And Esher actually starts doodling on it, and cackles like a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:29 am 

So I checked out a walkthrough to refresh my memory. Did Yeesha ever supply some reason why she couldn't hold it?

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:50 am 

Kolian wrote:
So I checked out a walkthrough to refresh my memory. Did Yeesha ever supply some reason why she couldn't hold it?

[spoiler]
Yeesha's quotes:
[spoiler]
Quote:
It... seduces all who try to hold it. I have held it... tasted its sweetness. But I can hold it no longer.

Quote:
I have failed with the Tablet already. There are no second chances here.

And yet I long to hold it, and try once more.

Quote:
And I failed. Failed to see anything beyond myself and what was obvious. And pain came quickly, when I realized what I had done. The Tablet returned, and the Bahro continued to serve. The pain still burns me.
[/spoiler]
She had already taken the Tablet once, though because she did not do what she was supposed to and use it to free the Bahro, it slipped out of her grasp forever. If someone tried to give it to her, it would simply teleport back to the Keep, and the person giving it would have lost their chance forever as well.

Esher had never had the Tablet before (to our knowledge), and so he was able to use it on Myst Island. However, in time I'm sure it would have simply slipped out of his grasp as well.[/spoiler]
Hooray for the misuse of power... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:07 am 

So the Tablet itself is a test. If the Bahro are tied to it from their origin, that would imply that the Bahro themselves are a test of some sort.

If the Tablet was created to enslave the Bahro after they were discovered, that means its creator intended them to be free. But then, why would that being create it in the first place? Simply as a test?

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:39 pm 

Kolian wrote:
So the Tablet itself is a test. If the Bahro are tied to it from their origin, that would imply that the Bahro themselves are a test of some sort.

If the Tablet was created to enslave the Bahro after they were discovered, that means its creator intended them to be free. But then, why would that being create it in the first place? Simply as a test?

Yes, that doesn't make sense doesn't it? So, who made the Tablet, and the corresponding bubbles and pedastals? The Bahro? They may have had a hand in the bubbles and pedastals, but perhaps not the Tablet. And I wonder if we ever get a chance to see Kveer will the Keep still be there?

So, I wonder, The totems was sort of a chain on the Bahro right? And we take that journey to free individual Bahro or Bahros or Bahrotee, then the Stranger shows up after the Cavern is emptied and takes the Tablet journey and then...

[spoiler]frees all the Bahrotee.[/spoiler]

So maybe the Bahrotee we freed made the linking bubbles and pedastals that Esher thinks is an abomination. To Correspond to the Tablet, but how the Tablet keep got there to begin with is The Question, Yahvo perhaps?

Oh and Esher did [spoiler]take the Tablet Journey he said so the first time you meet him in the caldera[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:11 pm 

The only reason Esher could use the Tablet if you gave it to him was because he devised a "trap" for it that allowed him to use it without it becoming ethereal.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:08 pm 

Quote:

So maybe the Bahrotee we freed made the linking bubbles and pedastals that Esher thinks is an abomination

I always considered Myst V to be before Uru...
Since Uru is based now and the games were made by cyan (Cyan in Uru, not in reality... If that makes sence) to tell us what happened based on the journals and diarys. :?:
Myst is so confusing at times....

I personaly think the bahro made the tablet themselves. Maybe to give them reason to exist, a kind of 'god' so to speak. and the d'ni took it from them.

Another idea i had was that it is in the bahros nature to serve and not question and they could of even given the tablet to the d'ni... We need some more research done by the DRC!!! :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next