It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:04 am 

How can the people of D'ni have enslaved and imprisoned and mistreated the Bahro if the D'ni had the reaction they did to the slavery on Terahnee?

Explain, please…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

IIRC, those that visited Terahnee were young, not having been born until after the Fall. This is certainly the case with Atrus. Or they were otherworlders, such as Catherine. I also got the impression that the Bahro was not common knowledge among the D'ni even before the Fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:33 pm 

Also, te whole bahro thing was very complicated. It seems that bahro enslaving was illigel (the teledahn prison was built in a way that the maintainers won't find it). However, even the maintainers them selfs, behind the shadows, kept bahro slaves (gahreesen hidden rooftop prisons).

Maybe that's why yeesha thought she had to release the bahro- the government was acting just like the criminals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:35 pm 

I still don't buy it. I really don't.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:44 pm 

What's not to buy? the government acting like criminals thing is a fact, and we know that the d'ni tried to stop the theranee people. The only way to explain it is that the common people never knew about the bahro- only the government and the criminals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:08 pm 

Well then why is Yeesha so hang up on darn the entire race dur to the choices of the government and the criminals? If that was the case then the US has really got a case to answer. fiery abyss, pick ANY country and the whole of civilisation on this age we call earth is to blame. Although, it does worry me, especially what someone else wrote about the Bahro. Yeesha treats them on such a high pedestal when, let's face it, not even she knows their full story. Is that wise?

Gah. I guess I'm just sick of everyone going on and on about the bahro. We'll never know their full story. If we do then it's bad storytelling by Cyan. It's like revealing the cancer man's intentions on the xfiles or g-man's story in half life. You can't put the trust and focus into something, in this case the Bahro, without know the full story - I'm a suspicious guy.

Thanks for your responses…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:08 pm 

Well then why is Yeesha so hang up on darn the entire race dur to the choices of the government and the criminals? If that was the case then the US has really got a case to answer. fiery abyss, pick ANY country and the whole of civilisation on this age we call earth is to blame. Although, it does worry me, especially what someone else wrote about the Bahro. Yeesha treats them on such a high pedestal when, let's face it, not even she knows their full story. Is that wise?

Gah. I guess I'm just sick of everyone going on and on about the bahro. We'll never know their full story. If we do then it's bad storytelling by Cyan. It's like revealing the cancer man's intentions on the xfiles or g-man's story in half life. You can't put the trust and focus into something, in this case the Bahro, without know the full story - I'm a suspicious guy.

Thanks for your responses…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm 

Quote:
Well then why is Yeesha so hang up on darn the entire race dur to the choices of the government and the criminals?

Probably because nothing was done by the common man to stop it. I mean, we know this thing went on for many many years, someone must have knew that.

Beside, I believe most of her anger went into the government and criminals. She never said "I hate every one and one of the d'ni!". We get the impression she does, but we DO know that only the government AND the criminals enslaved the bahros, and it IS pretty annoying when you know that the only once you could trust (the only honest man) were the regular people. That those who had to stop crime are criminals them selfs.

So why being so angry about the past? I suppose it her "burden", her journey was like a burden for her, like she had to release the bahro. And after she did- we know she returned to live with the d'ni in releeshan.

Quote:
Yeesha treats them on such a high pedestal when, let's face it, not even she knows their full story.

Who knows? maybe she does?

Quote:
We'll never know their full story. If we do then it's bad storytelling by Cyan.

We don't need to know their full story. As you said- if we do, bad storytelling by cyan. Uru isn't Myst, things are different. We are beggining to see the "background" reason as of why d'ni fell (I guess that 10000 years of bahro enslavement didn't do well to veovis when it comes to strangers). We are seeing strange stuff. Linking beasts. A woman who can plays with the art. Not everything is explained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:18 pm 

I guess it all boils down to a pre 1997 D'ni and a post 1997 D'ni, with stark distinctions between the two. Personally I prefer the pre 1997 D'ni but Atrus would be disappointed in me for dwelling in the past. I just do not believe the members of the great council whom I really grew attached to would be apart of such a thing. At least not in the cruel and disgusting way implied in post 1997 D'ni.

I guess that's cleared up now. Time to move forward and walk the cavern once again. I just hope people take good care to write ages as Yeesha version 2.0 (Myst) would and not Yeesha version 1.0 (Uru).

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:03 pm 

What's myst yeesha? like, in myst iv? childish yeesha? she's 194 this year. I don't think it fits :P .

(I would now say that yeesha needs to stay the same, but that's for another topic of yours).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:51 am 

Yeesha's are nothing alike. One is Ubisoft Yeesha and the other is Cyan Yeesha. The former is true to her father and mother, the latter is no better than the nut-jobs that have come before.

Hmph…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:16 pm 

2 yeeshas? I know only one yeesha, cyan's yeesha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think he is referring to the Myst 4 Yeesha.

In all fairness she was only 10 there, 184 years can change a person a great deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:39 pm 

PinothyJ wrote:
Yeesha's are nothing alike. One is Ubisoft Yeesha and the other is Cyan Yeesha. The former is true to her father and mother, the latter is no better than the nut-jobs that have come before.

Hmph…

It's the same character with roughly 180 years of development and experiences in between. Given what she's been through, her behavior may not be likeable, but perhaps at least understandable.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:07 am 
Obduction Backer

PinothyJ wrote:

Hmph…

Can we really say that she's a nutjob? In reality, we know very little about the D'ni society, especially "behind the scenes" if you will. And, as has already been stated, she IS over 180 years old now. She's bound to be a little less child-like.

As for why she condemns the D'ni, it could just be that she uses D'ni as a name for their "country" the way some people make comments about Americans (or any other nationality). Very rarely are those comments directed at EVERYONE in America, instead, they're usually about a single group of people. So, she could just be using the term "D'ni" as opposed to "the evil and corrupt leaders and wealthy members of the D'ni society, who used the Bahro as slaves." It's much easier to just say "D'ni."

Hope that made sense! :D

KI#00149165

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next