It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:40 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:40 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:46 am
Posts: 1620
Location: Here, there, you know. Around.
PinothyJ wrote:
Yeeshas are nothing alike. One is Ubisoft Yeesha and the other is Cyan Yeesha. The former is true to her father and mother, the latter is no better than the nut-jobs that have come before.

I think that it's not just the age difference like some have suggested.. it's experience, which comes with age. The Ubisoft Yeesha was a little girl, and had a rather peaceful life. Right up until the Stranger showed up (funny how that happens.. in 3 and 4, right as you arrive. Wouldn't be surprised if Atrus later said "Thanks for your help, now please go to never return before something else blows up" :roll:)

I suspect half of what made her crazy was right there.. the whole incident of Myst 4, if it's even partly realistic. She did blame herself later, after all.
The other half? Meeting the Winged Ones, and talking with them. I'm more and more suspecting that they actually had a proper method of communicating, Yeesha and the Winged Ones. They told her the secrets they knew, she told them hers.. and they told her their history. Embellished, I suspect now. Worse, there weren't any D'ni readily around to confirm or deny the story, except the common people who apparently had no clue they even existed, and Esher who it seems may have had no clue that the D'ni had any interaction. In turn she went a bit crazy from all of that, the idea that there was this whole burden built in to the very idea of D'ni, that was connected to her being the Grower. Sort of a stain she wanted to wash out. The D'ni had secrets and faults but no more than anyone else.. Yeesha however single-mindedly went past that and condemned them.


She did go a bit loopy, no denial. It was a gradual thing, with a good deal probably set up from the events of Myst 4, and the rest from her isolation except for talking to the Winged Ones. They have the same traits, but it's just how things turned out over the time.

(Oh, and I fixed the extraneous apostrophe in your quote.. it was bugging me)

_________________
You know, I wish we would learn Atrus loved the 1812 overture, and in turn we had a copy for our relto.
That's right, a canon canen cannon!

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:55 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:58 pm
Posts: 2020
Location: The Netherlands
And don't forget what happened to Calam. I think that left quite a mark on Yeesha as well.

_________________
URU blog | Archives of the Restoration


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:54 am
Posts: 66
Location: Australia
Erik wrote:
And don't forget what happened to Calam. I think that left quite a mark on Yeesha as well.

I just assumed Yeesha killed him in her incredibly troubled psychological state and barred it from her memory. Schizophrenia has crossed my mind a couple of times from what I read in her journals in Myst V - this is why I refuse to trust her until she sits down with a doc and we get the true diagnosis.


Doesn't make her a bad person, I guess, just doesn't make her a terribly stable one…

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:26 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:24 pm
Posts: 255
PinothyJ wrote:
Erik wrote:
And don't forget what happened to Calam. I think that left quite a mark on Yeesha as well.

I just assumed Yeesha killed him in her incredibly troubled psychological state and barred it from her memory. Schizophrenia has crossed my mind a couple of times from what I read in her journals in Myst V - this is why I refuse to trust her until she sits down with a doc and we get the true diagnosis.


Doesn't make her a bad person, I guess, just doesn't make her a terribly stable one…

She does say she destroyed those who killed Calam, and as she is still alive (and she seemed guilty about it, so it's not like she destroyed the insanity)...

Yeesha has been stuck in the fallen ruins of a city for a long time, trying to save a race that was brutally and hypocritically enslaved by her ancestors, her brother's died in a terrible plan when she was 10 (after having the whole memory transfer thing "and we don't know what that will do, to Yeesha's mind"), her mother is dead, Calam died, and she has so much power. The power is destructive at times, and like Gehn she can see what pain and ruin she is causing.
"Did I ask for so much power? Did I ask to be so alone?" (might be paraphrased a little)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:54 am
Posts: 66
Location: Australia
Gehn, lord of ages wrote:
"Did I ask for so much power? Did I ask to be so alone?" (might be paraphrased a little)

She sort of did, actually…

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:31 pm
Posts: 796
Location: Sweden
Atrus, his hope renewed, his sons fallen, laid the burden on her. She makes sense. Her discoverys about the D'ni was far beyond those of Atrus'. To understand how to restore the city and make it grow, it is way more complicated than Atrus imagined. To him it was a matter of building blocks. Yeesha discovered a wound still infected that dissalowed such simplifications.
/me follow Yeesha.

_________________
--- in our hearts our dreams are still the same ---


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:54 am
Posts: 66
Location: Australia
Were the bahro enslaved or domesticated…

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:14 pm
Posts: 2598
Location: Israel
I have a theory that the bahros are diseased d'ni. Really :shock: . It would be cool if they were.

PJ: the bahros were never domesticated because they were never wild beasts. They were sort of an ugly form of a d'ni. Powerful, and ugly. So yes, they were enslaved in a very secret yet crazy way.

_________________
Previously known as "The stranger"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:54 am
Posts: 66
Location: Australia
The stranger wrote:
I have a theory that the bahros are diseased d'ni. Really :shock: . It would be cool if they were.

PJ: the bahros were never domesticated because they were never wild beasts. They were sort of an ugly form of a d'ni. Powerful, and ugly. So yes, they were enslaved in a very secret yet crazy way.

Didn't eSer escape to an age where they lived naturally?


I'm confused…

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:14 pm
Posts: 2598
Location: Israel
Yes, they lived there, but who said they lived like beasts? yes, I assume they live in caves, but we know they habe a language which they write in (and speak, though I don't know how much).

They have a special culture- I wouldn't call them beasts. As I said- more of beast like humans (that why bahro- bah ro- beast people).

_________________
Previously known as "The stranger"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 746
Where did the idea that Maintainers kept Bahro imprisoned in Gahreesen come from? I don't remember hearing anything about that. If they condoned that, then why did the cells in Teledahn need to be hidden from them?

_________________
Frisky Badger
Guild of Maintainers
My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of the Guild of Maintainers.
KI# 00140468


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:21 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:24 pm
Posts: 255
Frisky Badger wrote:
Where did the idea that Maintainers kept Bahro imprisoned in Gahreesen come from? I don't remember hearing anything about that. If they condoned that, then why did the cells in Teledahn need to be hidden from them?

I think people mention the second part of Gahreeson (the part you get to from Teledahn) as a sort of holding prison for Bahro. I'm not sure what part exactly...

As for the condoning - they didn't officially condone it. It was officially illegal. The just *wink wink* had a few hidden cells themselves...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 746
Gehn, lord of ages wrote:
Frisky Badger wrote:
Where did the idea that Maintainers kept Bahro imprisoned in Gahreesen come from? I don't remember hearing anything about that. If they condoned that, then why did the cells in Teledahn need to be hidden from them?

I think people mention the second part of Gahreeson (the part you get to from Teledahn) as a sort of holding prison for Bahro. I'm not sure what part exactly...

As for the condoning - they didn't officially condone it. It was officially illegal. The just *wink wink* had a few hidden cells themselves...


So it's pure rumor/conjecture. I thought maybe I had overlooked something fairly significant.

_________________
Frisky Badger
Guild of Maintainers
My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of the Guild of Maintainers.
KI# 00140468


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:52 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:24 pm
Posts: 255
Frisky Badger wrote:
So it's pure rumor/conjecture. I thought maybe I had overlooked something fairly significant.

Or if you did, I missed it too. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:26 pm
Posts: 1023
Location: Maryland, USA
Perhaps some of the confusion comes from what you encounter when you use a Bahro stone tablet to link into the prison section of the 2nd building in Gahreesen from an Age where Bahro were held captive. You are immediately in a cell tripping over bones on the floor. Whether these are human or Bahro remains is difficult to say. One thing to ask is, would a prison cell for a Bahro contain a cot to sleep on?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: