It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:36 pm 

Played through CC again, and something just hasn't been setting right with me on the end sequence. It's pretty obvious that through Yeesha's urging she led us to release the Bahro upon the "outside world" and upon D'ni. Why didn't she tell us that this was the plan all along? Did anyone else get goosebumps and this feeling of "oh crap" when the Bahro turned to you on the cleft and let out a piercing scream, then disappeard into the depths?

And another thing, we've been seeing a one-sided story all along: Yeesha's, whose mental stability I think is going a little nuts. All along she's talked so negatively of the D'ni and positively of the Bahro. The D'ni had their faults, specifically the ones with great power, but we're talking millenia of history here. And why do you think the Bahro were enslaved for a large portion of this time? Surely a good D'ni king would have thought, "Man, we shouldn't treat these guys so bad..." Unless.... the Bahro were dangerous somehow, and the D'ni knew that if they were allowed to roam free then things would turn for the worse...

"Believe that you may know."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:24 pm 

Mer... I also had a weird feeling when Yeesha spoke highly of Gehn...

But yes, you do have a good point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually, by about the 2nd cave I knew Yeesha was a little crazy. And by the fourth I knew she had good ideas, but was so blinded by pride she probably had no idea of any ramifications of use of her power.

I was half-right. She had some idea, but definately nowhere near what happened. It's probably why she failed to free the bahro, and it took Dr. Watson, the same one who was behind the DRC and against Yeesha for so long, to do it. He was the only one who wasn't blinded by his own pride.

And of course we saw how it turned out.

Never trust anyone who says "Anything you do not understand you have failed to learn or do not need to know". Those are the words of someone convinced they're the ultimate right way, and only one responsible to have the power. :?

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:15 pm 

Shivron, I get the impression you weren't around for MOUL, so let me add a bit to the story for your benefit:

**SPOILER ALERT**

Towards the end of MOUL it was revealed that Dr. Watson was "the stranger" from Myst V (not the stranger from the first 4 games, though). He is the one that actually released the Bahro; I'll omit the details of how for those that haven't played Myst V. There has been a lot of debate about what actually happened with the whole totem thing and I think (if I remember correctly) that the majority of people believe there was actually 2 restraints on the Bahro: an individual one, the totems, and a group binding over all the Bahro that Dr. Watson lifted.

There's a lot more detail, but I don't want to give away all of Myst V for those that haven't played it yet. :D

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 am 

:shock: Every mention of the Bahro, every time i've seen and heard the Bahro, I've gotten goosebumps. There HAD to be a reason for the Bahro's imprisonment, it's doubtful the D'ni were just jealous and puffed up with pride like Yeesha suggests...I wish she wouldve given us more info from the start. The first chunk of the game she left me thinking I was restoring D'ni and then she starts throwing out stuff about freeing the Bahro at me. Very confusing for a new player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:23 am 
Obduction Backer

crystal wrote:
I wish she wouldve given us more info from the start.

Not to give more away than URU gives us....Need more information....History of her family....

Welcome (5 days late) to the forum crystal BTW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:30 am 

[off topic] Thank-you Gandhar. This is a great forum, everyone is very nice and welcoming! :lol: [/off topic]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 am 
One of my LJ icons says "Anything you still don't understand I have either forgotten to tell you or don't know myself."

I think Yeesha has been obsessing about pride and power for so long she's forgotten what they are. It's fairly clear that she didn't give us the whole story because she realised we might have our own ideas about what was best to do...and to her, that's pride. (Unless it's her, of course.) Same with Watson. He wasn't "blinded with pride" because he had no idea what he was doing. Assuming Myst V is actually all canon. I still hope not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:58 pm 

My feelings on Yeesha and the Bahro have changed quite a lot since I played Uru for the first time back in 2003. Back then I had just read the Book of D'ni, and I was playing through the game assuming that "The Least" were humans from other Ages, not another species altogether. When the big reveal came I felt goosebumps, but not in a bad way. I actually thought it was a really awesome twist.

Over time I've changed my mind. Now I feel nostalgia for the days when the D'ni were at least somewhat the "good guys" as depicted in earlier material. Yes, they could be pretty xenophobic, but there's absolutely nothing to suggest that they were secretly enslaving or imprisoning an entire species. Now I know we could say "the Myst series and the books aren't canon, they're just an interpretation" or "When Atrus criticised the Terahnee for keeping slaves, he didn't know about the Bahro", but IMO that's kind of missing the point. The fact is I just don't really like some of the "canon" that superseded the earlier stuff. I do still think that the idea of a mysterious race of non-humans that have advanced abilities in the Art could be interesting, but the way it's been presented so far has been a little too much. I've seen some fans speculate that the Bahro were the ones that actually created the Art originally, and that they gave it to the Ronay. Personally I'd like to have seen more focus on that idea and less on the Bahro as slaves angle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:10 am 

I agree with Tahgayrahl, I would like to find out more about the Bahro's connection to the Art. I think it's partly Yeesha's fault for obsesssing over the Bahro and their enslavement. ALL the D'ni couldn't have been evil and full of pride. It makes me go back to the question that's been bothering me...If the Bahro were enslaved so long why didn't any D'ni try and stop it? Maybe there was a GOOD reason for keeping them locked up. Did we just release something the D'ni tried so desperatly hard to keep trapped? /me shudders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:29 am 
There was a huge flapdoodle a while back over whether the bahro were encountered before the D'ni came to Earth. As far as I know it reached no useful conclusion. But remember, Esher was "experimenting" on bahro after the Fall, so not everything was known about them.

I think the bahro are to the D'ni Books as a sparrow is to a 747. They travel in the same medium, but not in the same way. I don't believe they are part of the process of Age Writing in any way whatsoever, and I don't see them being slaves as such. I'm sure that at some times the D'ni did own slaves, just as at some times we did. It's something that people do, and it's something that people outgrow. They've had longer to outgrow it than we have.

I think there is a strong possibility that the bahro were being kept out of D'ni-occupied Ages, maybe with good reason, maybe not. Esher's claim that Noloben was their home Age rings as false to me as all his other claims, including that of being D'ni. I think he found some there, certainly, but when? Can a race that links instinctively truly be said to have a home Age?

Round and round we go...and the only thing we know for certain is that we're unlikely to learn any more in the foreseeable future. And that almost everyone we've relied on for information here is unreliable.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]