It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gehn's Timepiece
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:18 am 

I know this is a bit backwards for many of you (anyone remember Riven?) :D but I am looking for some opinions about the structure of Gehn's timepiece. Go searching for as many pics as you can and let me know what you think.

There Are 4 Segments of the clock with the top one in D'ni. The D'ni on a 25 scale. Looks like a 12 hour scale in Arabic numerals underneath (In one pic you can almost make out 6 segments on half of the cylinder). The bottom 2 scales are the same and count by 10s. I am guessing we would have 60 min and 60 sec. Does everyone think that is right? We will disregard that when you open it the lower scale isn't obviously spinning.

Now some design questions. The five sound combination before it opens. Do we think it makes that noise automatically (for a reason I don't understand) or does the stranger have to manually input these into it which is causing it to open? If this is the case the only obvious way to input combinations would be the axes (is that the plural of axis? Latin 3rd declension?).

If you look at it sitting on the table open there appears to be what looks like 2 metal bars in which you would read the time between although there is a picture out there where the watch is being held vertical(by the way where is that coming from?) and it is clearly one metal bar you read the time off of.

Ok so opinions please. Also, on a working clock(hint hint) how important is it to have the combination lock or the sound before opening? Also, it can't possibly open and close the spheres under its own power; the clock would run dead after opening it twice or so. Finally, and possibly the hardest obstacle to overcome; using the standard conversion 39 seconds to 28 prorahn, it loses a second of being D'ni accurate every 47 days with what seems to be no way to readjust the setting. I am new to clockworks so maybe there is a way to do this.

Anyways thanks for all the help!

PS - What about the wrong symbol for 0. Should it stay? Does everyone agree this unit is measuring tahvotee? (and so Gehn must keep up with which appx. 6 hour period(gahrtahvo) he is in? This is the longest 25 period time available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:50 am 

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, my memory's a bit sketchy;
[spoiler]you're talking about that metal sphere on Gehn's chest in his room on 233. The sound is vital, it provides the answer to a puzzle, you need to remember the combination to free Catherine on Prison Island, and then proceed to win the game.[/spoiler]
As for the other details, I never really noticed, so I can't help, but I hope what I do know does. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]