It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

Did you rescue Atrus from a toilet in Myst or what?
Yeah, I totally pulled him out of a toilet. 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Dude, there were people living down there... 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Haha! Sirrus and Achenar trapped Atrus in the dunny... 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
No. Don't even go there. 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: The word "D'ni"
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:23 pm 

So what's up with the word "D'ni"? The pronunciation seems to be confused with the word [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunny]'Dunny'[/url], and Robyn Miller also references that his unfinished book dunny hut [url]http://tinselman.com/gallery.php?show=54]was used as an influence for the Myst backstory[/url]. "I drew this map as reference for the Dunny Hut book I was working on, years ago. This book project is only significant because it later became the basis for the Myst backstory. " So how did it evolve into D'ni (and how is that pronounced? I always thought of it as Duh-knee (emphasis on the second syllable), and Esher pronounces it 'Doch-niê'. And what does this imply? Was the small hole in Myst V originally dug to be a toilet? Or was the whole 'Dunny' thing just a forgotten joke the franchise sort of disowned, like the trap books?

Last edited by Sensei on Sat May 16, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 am 

:lol: Ahaha this poll made me laugh. I don't quite get how the title relates to it though...what about the word D'ni?

Speaking of which, does the word D'ni have a meaning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:55 am 

In Australia, "Dunny" is slang for a toilet. Hence the amusement of the antipodean Myst fans when Atrus said where he was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:33 am 
And that's why I've always stressed the second syllable, and was immensely cheered when Yeesha did the same in the preamble to Uru ABM.

I rationalise that Atrus learned the word from Ti'ana who mispronounced it, and the mispronunciation became ingrained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:14 pm 

Apparently my post has been deleted or covered up. I had a link tot he wikipedia definiton of a dunny and Robyn Miller referencing that he took the basis of the Myst story from his unfinished book Dunnyhut. The text is still there in the dit screen, so I'll repost and see if the mods don't explain whats so terribly offensive about it.

Added note: Attempting to repost the information still results in an invisible post. Maybe it was the density of links used, or bad BBcode. Now the links are on the bottom of the page, referenced by asterisks. Now the whole messgae should make some sense...

So what's up with the word "D'ni"? The pronunciation seems to be confused with the word 'Dunny'*, and Robyn Miller also references that his unfinished book dunny hut** was used as an influence for the Myst backstory. "I drew this map as reference for the Dunny Hut book I was working on, years ago. This book project is only significant because it later became the basis for the Myst backstory. " So how did it evolve into D'ni (and how is that pronounced? I always thought of it as Duh-knee (emphasis on the second syllable), and Esher pronounces it 'Doch-niê'. And what does this imply? Was the small hole in Myst V originally dug to be a toilet? Or was the whole 'Dunny' thing just a forgotten joke the franchise sort of disowned, like the trap books?

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunny
**http://tinselman.com/gallery.php?show=54

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:15 pm 

I can only be glad that I was totally ignorant of Australian slang when I first heard it when I was 8. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:30 pm 
Well, it would have sounded wrong to me even if I hadn't known it. Some words sound right for what they mean and some don't. I wouldn't call a ferocious barbarian warrior Poochiewoochiekins of Cimmeria (unless I wanted to give him some serious childhood trauma), and if I were looking for a name for a fabulous subterranean kingdom full of lost technology and gateways to other worlds, Dunny just doesn't seem like the right kind of name. It may have been a joke, or maybe it's my Brit mindset that makes it seem so anticlimactic and flat.

"D'ni" is much better, which just goes to show how small a difference there can be between lightning and a lightning bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:00 pm 

Well, I certainly hope it was a weird BBcode error and not an act of moderation- at the least, I haven't recieved any messages as such. Interestingly, before I became aware of the australian slang word dunny I had always thought that it sounded sort of like a name for an outhouse. D'ni certainly does make a better fit for the name of an underground super civilization than Dunny, anyway.

RIght now, I'm intersted in knowing just what the plot of Dunnyhut was going to be. I always associated Myst more with its iconic books than Dunnys (Dunnies?). My best guess is that the fellow Atrus fell down a dunnyhole for whatever reason and found the D'ni civilization... but I digress. I totally pulled Atrus out the toilet after his sons trapped him in there for a prank. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually I posted a link to that post some months ago.
The plot of Dunny Hut was going to be about a boy named Matt Dunny ( who later became Atrus) who lived in a shack called the Dunny Hut( which later became the cleft) with his crazy grandmother? (who later became Ti'ana). One day she encourages him to explore behind a locked door where he finds tunnels leading to an underground kingdom called Dunny which is still very much alive. There he discovers that he is really the prince of Dunny who was taken up to the surface for safekeeping when a war breaks out in the underground kingdom. He takes up his position as prince of Dunny and begins to settle down there until the war begins once more.I think that's accurate, my memory can get a bit foggy on some of these things but I believe that is all of the plot that we were ever told.
So as you can see it was later heavily edited into the book of Atrus.

so you think I'd understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:34 pm 

The Dĭnë of the Southwestern U.S. probably think you're all a little mixed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:27 am 

Although I'm lacking on facts, I believe that at some point the story attempted to explain a mysterious native american culture (read: near the cleft) or two as being D'ni. Don't know if that was something they've had in mind for ages or just bumped into it. Don't recall the name Dĭnë though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Jevasi wrote:
The plot of Dunny Hut

And all this time I thought 'Dunny Hut' was.....well?

Post subject: Re: The word "D'ni"
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:35 pm 

Here's your original post. You were correct in thinking bad forum code...

When you use forum code for URL's, the correct procedure is to put
{URL=http://mystonline.com}Myst Online{/URL}
not
{URL}http://mystonline.com}Myst Online{/URL}

(Of course, it should all be done with square brackets: "[" and "]" and not "{" and "}" but that's just my method to show up the code without the forum parsing it.

Sensei wrote:
So what's up with the word "D'ni"? The pronunciation seems to be confused with the word 'Dunny', and Robyn Miller also references that his unfinished book dunny hut was used as an influence for the Myst backstory. "I drew this map as reference for the Dunny Hut book I was working on, years ago. This book project is only significant because it later became the basis for the Myst backstory. " So how did it evolve into D'ni (and how is that pronounced? I always thought of it as Duh-knee (emphasis on the second syllable), and Esher pronounces it 'Doch-niê'. And what does this imply? Was the small hole in Myst V originally dug to be a toilet? Or was the whole 'Dunny' thing just a forgotten joke the franchise sort of disowned, like the trap books?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:46 am 

darn! My BBcode is even more rusty than my D'ni. :)

Oh, and Ganhar, rest assured that the name of Dunnyhut cannot possibly be a coincidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:08 am 

It's better than Esher's "duck-knee"s.

And I voted option two because there were people living down there..... y'know, in the Dunny....

The cavern...

Y'know....

:shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]