It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

a) Plato's Theory of Forms
Main article: Theory of Forms
The Theory of Forms typically refers to Plato's belief that the material world as it seems to us is not the real world, but only a shadow of the real world. Plato spoke of forms in formulating his solution to the problem of universals. The forms, according to Plato, are roughly speaking archetypes or abstract representations of the many types and properties (that is, of universals) of things we see all around us."

"According to Socrates, physical objects and physical events are "shadows" of their ideal or perfect forms, and exist only to the extent that they instantiate the perfect versions of themselves. Just as shadows are temporary, inconsequential epiphenomena produced by physical objects, physical objects are themselves fleeting phenomena caused by more substantial causes, the ideals of which they are mere instances. For example, Socrates thinks that perfect justice exists (although it is not clear where) and his own trial would be a cheap copy of it."
b) quantum theory
c) The Great Tree of possibilities (or just the Great Tree)
Do you think that are connected? :shock: 8)

Greece Ki # 117119

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:20 pm 
I'm interested that the quote talks about physical objects and then uses as an example an abstract quality (justice).

The fact is that in order to imagine a perfect chair, say, you'd have to imagine something fairly protean, because "perfection" in a chair is going to mean something different to everyone, and the same with everything else. You'd end up with as many "perfect forms" as there are real objects, which is a bit redundant. The Platonic ideal forms, in the end, are just that, ideal--not real. Plato, I think, was working with ideas, not necessarily with reality. The scientists who developed quantum theory were trying to find a formulation of what goes on in the real world to explain their experimental data. I don't think there's much connection there, except that the two things vaguely sound the same.

As for the Great Tree, well, there's an obvious connection to quantum theory in that the games were designed by people who were aware of current scientific thinking. Whether you accept that connection IC is up to you: I don't, others do. But then, I prefer to believe that the real world is the real world. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:26 am 
Obduction Backer

zander wrote:
But then, I prefer to believe that the real world is the real world.

All preferences aside, several good people seem to think otherwise... :roll:

Oh no, I have to cut the grass, make dinner, and then clean the bathrooms...Boo, Hiss...I'll be back after that...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]