It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:09 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:49 am 
Researching Bolivian cultures for a story, I came across "the mysterious Uru people who lived on man-made islands of reeds in Lake Titicaca and who had abandoned their native language four hundred years ago." (my description)

Here's a snippet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 pm 

This is Such an instristing thread!

I would like to know about them 'bug people' that was mentioned in a eirler post.

WOW there is a word for this type of 'game, treasure hunt' thing this thread has started but
I just can not think of it atm. maybe someone knows what I'm talking about here the movie AI had this
type of thing 'gimik' going before its release, people were searching all over the internet looking for clues etc.

and this is even better! Its like the aclamed movie titled 'The Divenchy(typo) Code'
The Myst journals 'in a whole' (imo) is but one bahro cave/kive of endless sand in Minkata,... hmmm
not sure why I just discribed it that way, or a better one is; It is but one branch of a fractle of the Great Tree.
or ' The Tree of Life'.

The D'ni where taller than the avarage man and I would guess most would be with very light skin tones
body structor as different as ours is. My point is They were a race of gaints. Now I know of the Vikings but
there are a few 'others' whom left behind Huge stone structors, The Ton blocks were cut at all differant shapes
and sizes where put together to make a massive wall. The stone are cut with pressision and put together without
mortar so tightly you can not get a piece of paper through any of the jigsaw way of stacking they did.

anyway I think I said enuff to chew on for a while :P

P.S. can someone post that photo of the real life 'Cleft' I can not seem to find it now on my Computer!!!?
otherwise I would have posted it a while ago. *links out back to the High Place*

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:34 am 

Quote:
The D'ni where taller than the avarage man

I haven't read the books, so perhaps I'm missing out on a bit of info- but how do we know that they were tall? All of the archways and devices in Ae'gura seem about the same size as those for surface people, and Esher was a normal height in Myst V. Considering the formidable D'ni engineering skills, it seems unlikely that they'd build an uncomfortable, out of proportion city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:13 am 

Sehltahn wrote:
Quote:
The D'ni where taller than the avarage man

I haven't read the books, so perhaps I'm missing out on a bit of info- but how do we know that they were tall? All of the archways and devices in Ae'gura seem about the same size as those for surface people, and Esher was a normal height in Myst V. Considering the formidable D'ni engineering skills, it seems unlikely that they'd build an uncomfortable, out of proportion city.

I can't quite remember where I'm drawing this information from, but I do recall a mention of D'ni stature when learning about age making processes. The Ronay constantly dealt with the problems associated with inhabited ages, but often times, found intelligent species somewhat similar to themselves. This is caused by a phenomenon in the use of The Art that involves a writer almost subconsciously inserting biology or geology that is uncannily similar to his own environment into his book. Ri'neref obviously provided an example of this phenomenon when he unknowingly wrote Ronay-like beings into his master work. On D'ni, this took the form of humanity.

Anyway, these subconscious manifestations always presented themselves in ways that were almost identical, but never exact. On a universal plane over the full extent of physical existence, there is no natural way evolution could create an exact replica of the D'ni race, atom for atom. Therefore, while we and the Ronay share the same basic features, the same vocal abilities, the same basic brain chemistry, etc., humans have genetic anomalies. We tend to be shorter and more burly than people of Ronay descent. Those of D'ni blood, (though not the Ronay in general,) also have pale skin and eyes with keen photosensitivity. This was obviously an adaptation to their generally dim and sunless living quarters.

I've got a little theory actually.. Seeing as how genes for height & lithe figure are particularly favored in our own slowly changing society, we share their aesthetics & attractions, and the Ronay were already blossoming into a highly advanced civilization on Garternay long before Ri'neref was even alive, it can logically be surmised that the Ronay were in fact even more similar to humans (especially in stature) at one time, but tall and slender Ronay were more desirable, weeding out genes that produced short or sturdy stature. Over several thousand years, this produced a race of people who were generally taller and more slender. So basically, those of Ronay blood are a look into the future of human appearance, at least in terms of their body shape.

...Or I suppose the correct way to phrase that would be to say, the Ronay see us as a primordial model of themselves. ;)

Also, just about any D'ni building I've been in is in fact tall enough to comfortably accomodate someone who is visibly taller than my male avatar. The D'ni aren't giants in comparison to ourselves; I'd estimate their average height is maybe 3-4 inches taller than our own at best. Nothing drastic.

They're proportioned just right for the buildings they constructed. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2