It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:28 pm 

NightAngel23 wrote:
Rieuco

Quote:
We have seen that the native peoples of the Ages were quite capable of learning to speak D'ni, (Riven, 37th, ect.) but the Bahro are such an alien lifeform, they don't seem to be able to speak D'ni, which would be a critical flaw in using them for labor.

Even if the Bahro were a stronger labor force, the cumbersome nature of conveying commands to them would make them highly inefficent as slaves.

I believe in Myst V that Yeesha or Esher mentioned the Bahro could understand D'ni, but just the basics like Kidergarden level. The couldn't understand the more complex levels of interperitation, so it isn't so far fetched that it was the Bahro.

Nice bump! :P :lol:

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:43 pm 

soon the bahro will no longer tolerate us, turn against us. Esher will give us a sword, found in our wardrobe, which we will use to kill all the bahros. it's not easy however, with them jumping, flying around and quickly linking away. For every 100th Bahro we kill we get another relto-page reward, stolen from yeesha, who's being kept a prisoner by esher.

---sorry, me being silly, i was just trying to think what else to write here, when suddenly i thought "hey this doesn't sound too bad" - maybe the sword killing thing is too un-myst like, but the whole "table's turned" -which side are you on, player against player, , ages falling apart, creatures in ages breaking out, creating havoc, some of us will try to find and free yeesha in order to follow her secret path to sanity... ..sounds great, i wanna log in right now to see the mess.

I really do love uru and myst, but to log in once a month to see which new age is available.. is ... good... but a little bit more action i could do with too, some fast-paced story driven plot, even if it means we have to step a little bit away from the usual "oh isn't this pixel-bush lovely...well done cyan" thing. i want more eeeevil.. there always was one of them in every myst chapter, it's what made it interesting. and i think... cyan should hook us and non-myst-fans NOW! before they might leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:18 pm 

Quote:
I really do love uru and myst, but to log in once a month to see which new age is available.. is ... good... but a little bit more action i could do with too, some fast-paced story driven plot, even if it means we have to step a little bit away from the usual "oh isn't this pixel-bush lovely...well done cyan" thing. i want more eeeevil.. there always was one of them in every myst chapter, it's what made it interesting. and i think... cyan should hook us and non-myst-fans NOW! before they might leave.

O dear... prepare yourself for the Myst fans to crucify you....

lol, maybe a bit more suited to a different thread in sugestions :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:50 pm 

@ darkling... I agree. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:56 pm 

Strange...I was actually planning for the Bahro to actually help in a future fic.

I'm planning a fic which is a novelization of Uru-CC and Myst V and then...well...

-------------------------------------

"Yeesha...I am glad the Bahro are now free. It's just a pity the old ages had to decay like they did..."

A Bahro whispered in Yeesha's ear, and Yeesha looked somewhat elated.

"What is it, Yeesha?"
"The Bahro...now that they possess the tablet, they say they can restore the old Ages!"

==========

The end has not yet been written...

==========

"You know...this is NOT what I meant by saying I like getting into a good book."

==========

...because a rewrite has begun.

==========

"This cursed island will serve as the beginning of the rebirth."
"Whoa...since when did you Bahro speak Common?!?"

==========

Heroes of Arcadia
Myst - Resurrection of Ages

Coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:58 pm 

GamemasterAnth wrote:
Strange...I was actually planning for the Bahro to actually help in a future fic.

I'm planning a fic which is a novelization of Uru-CC and Myst V and then...well...

-------------------------------------

"Yeesha...I am glad the Bahro are now free. It's just a pity the old ages had to decay like they did..."

A Bahro whispered in Yeesha's ear, and Yeesha looked somewhat elated.

"What is it, Yeesha?"
"The Bahro...now that they possess the tablet, they say they can restore the old Ages!"

==========

The end has not yet been written...

==========

"You know...this is NOT what I meant by saying I like getting into a good book."

==========

...because a rewrite has begun.

==========

"This cursed island will serve as the beginning of the rebirth."
"Whoa...since when did you Bahro speak Common?!?"

==========

Heroes of Arcadia
Myst - Resurrection of Ages

Coming soon...

Have you cleared this with Cyan Legal? ([email protected])

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:34 am 

O_O

Let me guess...Cyan is NOT supporting of fanworks...

So much for THAT idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:05 am 

I'm not sure if we know whether they are or not; most people like to crush all attempts at fan-fic from the outset based on the mere possibility that they may not be. In every sense of the term 'fan-fic'.

Then they justify it by referencing RAWA's infernal pixel-shifting analogy.

darn you, RAWA! WHAT HAVE YOU UNLEASHED!?

:P

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:39 pm 

Well, at any rate, I just don't see the Bahro wanting to harm us. Yeesha did her best to help them, so I doubt they'll hold any animosity towards humans. PLUS...if you did the right ending in Myst V, they'll have at least ONE human to thank for their freedom.

Besides...I betcha they don't want to put that tablet to ill use. Why be like the ones that enslaved them in the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:30 am 

GamemasterAnth wrote:
O_O

Let me guess...Cyan is NOT supporting of fanworks...

So much for THAT idea...

As far as I know they are quite supportive of fanworks.

Asking legal permission is usually only a formality, and primarily for stuff like fan-made ages that run on previous versions of uru, and fan-made games based on the D'ni universe. Rule of thumb: for anything that could be considered breach of Cyan IP by some fancy lawyer.
It's just a bit of legal self-preservation, since just letting it all happen seems to be legal ground for losing IP rights over time, they introduced the formality of fans asking for legal permission, and cyan providing it.

Some people in the community seem to be pretty fanatic in this legal permission stuff though, asking the creator of each new tool/thing/whatever if they have asked for legal permission. Even if it might not be necessary. (Not that I'm the judge of when it is necessary)

Anyway, since fanfics usually aren't considered IP violation, I seriously doubt that legal permission is needed.

(Though some legal-fanatic or lawyer will probably disagree with my post :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:56 am 

My name has been uttered, summoning me back to this thread...

NightAngel23, that is only one of a long list of reasons that the Bahro would make a less than ideal slave labor force.

Even assuming one wanted to deal with issuing orders to laborers who had a poor grasp of your language (if in fact they did at all) there are still plenty of other Ages with people who would be controled without some magical voodoo tablet. The Bahro's ability to link is inconsequential, since no D'ni would have reason to send a slave on an errand to Age without linking books.

Further, in the past couple of months, I replayed Myst V again, hunting for anything I might have overlooked concerning the Bahro, and I've become even more convinced that they were NOT enslaved by the D'ni.

To begin with, Esher refers to Noloben as his own Age, as though he wrote it. He also tells us the Noloben is where the Bahro are from, so if the first contact between the Bahro and the D'ni was during Esher's lifetime, than other slaves had to have been kept on Teledahn, as Sharper's journal states that at least twice and over several generations slaves were kept there.

Then, there is the Tablet and the Slates... One look tells you they are not D'ni in origin, they don't look like anything else the D'ni have ever made, the only similarity they possess is some sort of connection to the Art. Which would be ominous, if not for the fact that the D'ni did not invent the Art (if their ancient legends are to be believed) supposedly the knowledge of how to write Ages was given to them by the Maker. Lastly, and certainly not least, remember what Esher said about the Slates, he said they were "not of D'ni" and called them a profane abuse of the Art.

I can't imagine Esher speaking ill of anything of D'ni, even if it genuinely was bad, like the gladitorial arena.

Likewise, the pillars Yeesha sends us to borrow are clearly not of D'ni origin.

I've reached a point beyond suspecting something fishy about Yeesha's quest, I know believe, rather firmly that Yeesha's quest is misguided, if not outright deceptive. She links the slavery of the Bahro to crimes the D'ni committed, and charges us as heirs to the city to sever their chains in the name of all that is good and decent.

Just like Sirrus and Achenar lying through the linking panels of their prison books, we have been charged to read the truth between the lines from Yeesha and Esher.

We do not yet know why the Bahro were enslaved, nor who made the aetherial chains that bound them, nor why. In truth, we only know three things: The Bahro are powerful, the D'ni did not enslave them, and we have no clue what we have unleashed.

They took much deserved vengence on Esher, but I found no satisfaction in it. They did not forgive, they did not turn the other cheek, they showed no mercy, and they don't want anything to do with us. Frankly, this does not fill me with confidence about their role in the times ahead.

"History is irredeemable."
- Kain, Scion of Balance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:09 am 

Hmm... you make some interesting points, Rieuco.

However, Myst V is apparently not completely accurate, so some of that information is uncertain. Even so, who knows if what Esher said was true; he struck me as someone who was prone to lying.

Quote:
They did not forgive, they did not turn the other cheek, they showed no mercy, and they don't want anything to do with us.

Esher was pretty irate and non-repentant at the end, and probably would have been violent; I do not blame the Bahro for taking him away.

And where do you get the idea that the Bahro don't want anything to do with us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:48 am 

Herohtar, I agree, Esher was undoubtably prone to lying, but the best lies are the ones that contain the most truth. I've been trying to get inside his head, and determine what he truly believed from the potential untruths he told.

I also should have elaborated more on the subtext of the Bahro carrying Esher away, he screamed in absolute terror when they did that. Esher knew the Bahro better than anyone, and what they were capable of. I have no doubt that he knew a ghastly fate awaited him at that point. Unrepentant yes, but also deeply terrified.

As for my statement that the Bahro are hiding, stalking and otherwise having nothing to do with us, the one and only time that we actually see a Bahro in Uru is at the end of Yeesha's quest, when we see quite a few of them in the distance.

However, you can't spend any substantial time in the cavern without hearing their cries in the dark, indicating that they are there in the cavern, and completely unseen, and for the most part remaining unheard. Being watched is always unnerving, and being watched by an unseen party is infinitely worse.

If they are free and grateful, one must ask why they do not show themselves, particularly as it seems the majority of players find consider them cute and friendly?

"History is irredeemable."
- Kain, Scion of Balance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 pm 

Hmm, I suppose. I don't quite remember exactly how he was reacting.

I've never seen one myself, but there have been Bahro sightings in the neighborhoods and apparently the City now. Maybe they are just shy/timid/fearful of us for some reason?

Random thought... Yeesha told the Bahro "do to him (Esher) as you would to one of the least"... which brings up the question, what does one do to the least?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Surprisingly enough, this has suddenly become a relevant discussion!!
Consider what has happened in "Scars:"

it was recently revealed that the bahro have split into factions- One faction seems to be ruthless, hunting and killing many things- including Wheely.

Second: A bahro recently DID manage to speak in the common tongue, albeit after hours or struggling with its vocal abilities. It said "Noloben."

Obviously this is highly linked to the events of Myst V, and breathes some new air into this debate, as everything discussed seems to be becoming true!

The tablet could have been created for that reason. perhaps the bahro were violent, warring creatures with extraordinarily dangerous powers that needed to be kept in check...and so the tablet was created.

Secondly, "Noloben" once again seems to be an issue here. Of what significance could it be? We know a great number of bahro inhabit Noloben and also Esher. Are the Bahro planning something? Perhaps begging us for help?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next