It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:08 am 

:shock: I wasn't aware that...
Anyone want to tell me where I can find that official picture that inspired the volcano?

Anyway, the inspiration for D'ni- as in the cavern- is the Carlsbad (sp?) caves, is it not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Megan's brother saw this in New Mexico:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:24 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: That's the Volcano!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I need to find a plane there pronto!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :? Where is that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Here's a snap of the photo in the Prima guidebook for Uru: Complete Chronicles ("Bringing Uru to Life" chapter, p. 280). Looks pretty close to the formation we know and love. Unfortunately there's no information regarding where that image was actually captured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:47 am 
Obduction Backer

meauru wrote:
:shock:
Anyway, the inspiration for D'ni- as in the cavern- is the Carlsbad (sp?) caves, is it not?

in an attempt to link real life with fiction, it is implied that d'ni is linked to carlsbad caverns, one of the largest known cave systems, and that the cleft, tomanah, lodge, and other locals mentioned in entries in the myst serries are all in the same general vicinity. the actual d'ni cave system would be much deeper and would consist of it's own chambers linked by excavated tunnels. perhaps the excavated d'ni caverns are only linked to carlsbad through the descent, or the system of excavated tunnles linking natural caverns that lead from d'ni to the surface.

it is unknown just what the term D'ni "city" implies as there are two "cities" known to exist within the main d'ni cavern; both the city "proper" located on the cavern wall, and Ae'gura, which is the island that is most extensively avliable to us in URU.

the D'ni excavated tunnles to remote caverns which were often used for industrial purposes. needless to say, the entire system is quite complex...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5