It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 pm 

I'm fairly certain that in Book of D'ni during the massive Book Search they also cleaned up the bodies and gave them proper burials (or what was left of them, lets not forget this is still a number of decades after the Fall). From the descriptions and length of time that the search took in BoD I'm pretty certain that there would be very few places in D'ni where plague victims still remained.

An interesting (and somewhat disheartening) fact is that I don't see any places in Uru which have the plague residue covering their surface. This is clearly described in both BoD and Book of Ti'ana. Does this mean that all of the places we can get to have been visited before us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:26 am 

Perhaps Atrus and the rebuild crew from old turned on the fans and the residue has been somewhat cleaned due to the airflow. I dunno just a thought.

PS My first post... Hi everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:15 am 

Jman wrote:
I'm fairly certain that in Book of D'ni during the massive Book Search they also cleaned up the bodies and gave them proper burials (or what was left of them, lets not forget this is still a number of decades after the Fall)

But did they mention whether it was "proper" from a D'ni perspective (putting them in burial ages, which we admittedly don't know much about) or from our perspective (Atrus was part human, and he and Catherine buried Ti'ana's body on Myst in a standard Western grave with a headstone)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Jman wrote:
I don't see any places in Uru which have the plague residue covering their surface. This is clearly described in both BoD and Book of Ti'ana. Does this mean that all of the places we can get to have been visited before us?

Well yes, by the DRC, and the D'ni survivors before that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Ian Atrus wrote:
Jman wrote:
I don't see any places in Uru which have the plague residue covering their surface. This is clearly described in both BoD and Book of Ti'ana. Does this mean that all of the places we can get to have been visited before us?

Well yes, by the DRC, and the D'ni survivors before that.

There's a reason they told us not to drink the lake water. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:39 pm 

Drakmyth wrote:
There's a reason they told us not to drink the lake water. :shock:

It's also where they hid the bodies! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:35 am 

Solstice wrote:
Actually, I think I might be on to something--manual labor and heavy lifting must have been a necessity in D'ni culture, despite their advantage in being able to link instead of relying mostly on vehicular shipping/transportation. If you can only link with what you can carry, exceptionally strong workers would be a necessity. This, in turn, would help to determine social position based on one's physiology...though I'm sure that there are high-gravity ages where people could be groomed for service.

I would think that given the amount of time they've had to experiment they would have found a way around this somehow.

The way the pellet machine is set up as well as the way the maintainer suits worked seem to suggest that they knew exactly what conditions need to be fulfilled for a link to work, at least in enough detail that they could build, improvise, and work around them.

KI#: 01722221

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:18 pm 

in the BoT
[spoiler]many of the bodies were dumped in various ages by Veovis and A'Gaeris to spread the plague, they were wearing maintainers suits while doing so maybe the books just scan dna to for the link, because a dead body has little, if any electrical activity, but then again I am not sure all the bodies they collected we dead either [/spoiler]

Post subject: Re: Will it link?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:49 pm 

Professor Paul1290 wrote:
Gloves and other clothing don't seem to interfere with linking in any way, but what is the limit to this? What if someone with a prosthetic limb were to attempt to link using their prosthetic hand, would the book still recognize that they are trying to link?

And yet shoes do! I've been jumping on this book trying to link through for hours!

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 pm 

That's bad for the book. :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2