It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:48 am 

Ever since RAWA's recent tantalizing post about unresolved mysteries that we might have a hope to crack, I've been doing some thinking about The Stranger and his possible identity. I think my theory is probably not correct, but I'd love to hear lots more reasons why I'm an idiot.

So: check it out if you'd like. Feel free to comment here or there, whichever suits you.

SFT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tough call.. I know what you mean in regards to things like Atrus staying himself, and Yeesha not being stupid... crazy yes but not stupid. However..

The impression I got from Yeesha's dismissal was she was being Yeesha. It's no secret I don't think too highly of her.. all that power and talk about staying in the darkness and being humble and what does she do? Loses herself to her abilities, treats others like tools to be exploited in terms of her goals, and almost as lesser beings. (She got better by the end of MOUL, but until then...). I figured she was just angry that she had to call in outside help, because she's the Grower and should have been able to do it herself. It's her job after all, so why should someone else be needed? She was angry at herself, and resenting Dr. Watson for being there and worse DOING what she couldn't. It's very possible either way Dr. Watson is the same stranger she knew.. but it's possible she never actually knew him that well, that when he came to visit he mainly visited Atrus, and things like the babysitting at Myst 4 were rare occasions (though knowing Atrus that seems doubtful :wink: )
Moreso.. if Yeesha did use her mystical time travel bahro mojo magic to send Dr. Watson back in time... and here's a key question, when did she do it? We already know if you drastically change events, you can split off instances somehow. We've seen it from the books, we've seen it from the anti-Kadish vault. That means our questions become 1: is this the same instance as where Yeesha sent Dr. Watson back? and 2: If so, what time (to Yeesha) did she do it?

If 1 is true, it raises too many cans of worms I'm going to deal with, and everything tries to fall apart, because I want to deal with instancing as little as possible. If 2 however.. imagine if Yeesha tried, and failed to do the tablet run. She resented what happened.. but turned to the one person she knew she could trust.. the old family friend, Dr. Watson. Imagine if you will, Yeesha realizing this Dr. Watson is very similar to her family friend.. she assumes coincidence or distant relative because of the hundred-something years difference. However, she eventually realizes what happened when she fails to give the tablet back. She goes and sends Dr. Watson back in time, catching him before he went splut leaping into the great shaft. He's not ready yet, he needs to know more about her family.. and to also plug the loop. She sends him back in time to find the myst book where she knows the star fissure leads (or suspects at least, considering Dr. Watson knew full well where it did, being friends with Jeff Zandi or more specifically his dad). He gets it, and goes and does the stuff the Stranger is known for and then some. Develops a rapport. Learns about Yeesha, and what drives her. Then, when the time comes, Yeesha in the future pulls him forward to that point of just after everything's failed for Yeesha, the start of Myst 5. It instances a bit, and the Yeesha who sent him back is either left elsewhere, or is immune because of her being the one doing the time travel stuff. Regardless, Dr. Watson goes and does the events of Myst 5. The Yeesha there is dismissive to him both because she can't believe he's the same man, and because she's just like that to people. Atrus however isn't stupid, and has seen a lot of stuff in his life, and knows his friend well, greeting him as such. Then afterwards, either Dr. Watson explains, or Yeesha already knows because she sent him back to do it by this point. In turn it humbles her to realize she how she treated the DRC, headed by the man that saved her, her family, and the bahro... she didn't know then, but she realizes she couldn't have done any of this stuff, she had to get him and in a way make him who he is.

In turn she does her best to save the cavern at the end, save the explorers. Maybe she didn't think such before, all she cared about was the bahro, but maybe she realized just what Dr. Watson was fighting for with everything he did.

I dunno, there's some plotholes I can feel but can't think of.. also it doesn't have this tinge of certainty I get when I have a well done hypothesis (for reference, the whole bahro war prediction had one, even if it was refined over the span of months I think). But I think this might solve some of the faults we had.

tl;dr summary for those who find my text dense and annoying to read (don't blame you :P):
Yeesha failed the bahro just before Myst 5, took Dr. Watson (from just before his leap at To D'ni) and sent him back in time to be The Stranger (before she'd assumed two different people because of the time difference). Then sent him forwards again to the point of Myst 5. Thus Dr. Watson is so changed, and Yeesha is left humbled by the scope of what she did but didn't do herself.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:33 am 

I'm not sure Dr. Watson jumped off the eder tomahn. He told us to, but he said he was on his way to the surface.

I know what you mean about not feeling certain like you do with a real discovery. I was never entirely convinced I was right to begin with. I just can't get over the fact that Cyan had Atrus call Watson "my old friend", fully knowing that it was Watson that Atrus was speaking to. There's something there. Or maybe there isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:04 pm 

While RAWA being The Stranger all along is an interesting theory, I just don't think it's right. It just seems too farfetched, involves time travel and all the paradoxes associated with it and is based on a single line of dialogue; Atrus calling Watson "my old friend" at the end of Myst V.

My take on Atrus calling Watson that is as follows: in Myst, Atrus calls The Stranger "my friend" after only seeing him for the third time in his life and (presumably) before The Stranger had even spoken to him at all. Because of this, it is my belief that Atrus uses the phrase "my friend" as a kind of greeting to those he wishes to befriend. Now, there's no evidence that Watson had ever met Atrus before the events of Myst V, but I think it is more than likely that they had met before the events of Myst V and perhaps built a cordial relationship between each other before Atrus "went into retirement" on Releeshahn. Hopefully, that doesn't seem too outlandish to be believable.

As the the identity of The Stranger himself (or herself), no one truly knows besides Atrus and Yeesha. Considering who may have been living in and around the area now called New Mexico in 1806 (when The Stranger found the Myst linking book), the two most likely identities are that The Stranger was a Spaniard/Mexican (Mexico still belonged to Spain at this time) or a Native American.

Steven1987: Ki #05385419

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:30 am 

Rogue1987 wrote:
Considering who may have been living in and around the area now called New Mexico in 1806 (when The Stranger found the Myst linking book), the two most likely identities are that The Stranger was a Spaniard/Mexican (Mexico still belonged to Spain at this time) or a Native American.

Don't exclude the chance that it might have been a member of an expedition. The Zebulon Pike expedition spent some time in New Mexico in the year 1806.

Edit: Oops, I just noticed we already went over this in another thread. Sorry for bringing it up again. :Edit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:06 am 

The official Myst V strategy guide, written in first-person as a journal, gives a bit of insight into what Dr. Watson was thinking at that point. I cant seem to find my copy so this is from memory but it was something to the effect of: "I did not have the heart to tell him his tired eyes were mistaking me for the friend of centuries ago..."

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I wouldn't take the story parts in strategy guides as really real canon stuff, there's usually a good bit of invention in there (true for most games, not just Myst).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Heck, sometimes you can't even take the strategy guides as accurate much less canon. They have to write before the game ships, so they work on old copies that will have changed before release date. Usually they're accurate-ish as they work off a late beta I'd guess, but there's examples for all game types where there's incorrect facts, things omitted, things that aren't in the game anymore, details off, maps wrong, etc etc.

So no, not canon. I have the original Myst one, and it has a story about a person finding the Myst book in a library and taking photos to post in their journal that we read as the walkthrough.

That could work (maybe someone moved the linking book from the desert?) except apparently it;'s written in english and understandable.. and I doubt a portable fast-developing camera was about back then (even Myst 4 is iffy as heck)

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Loshem wrote:
The official Myst V strategy guide, written in first-person as a journal, gives a bit of insight into what Dr. Watson was thinking at that point. I cant seem to find my copy so this is from memory but it was something to the effect of: "I did not have the heart to tell him his tired eyes were mistaking me for the friend of centuries ago..."

I cant find my Myst 5 OFFICIAL game guide.
But i think i remember that.
So i believe for me, that this phrase is cannon and resolves the problem.
If ppl at Cyan believes the opposite (cannon or not ,mistake or not) ,they can tell us...

But bu the way it was a very interesting research 75th Trombone bravo!!!!

Greece Ki # 117119

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]