It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:29 am
Posts: 671
For anyone still questioning whether or not drcsite.org is a legit Cyan-Uru related site you need only load up Uru: CC. Go to Kirel and look in the classroom. Victor Laxman left his email address on the imager for all to see.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

_________________
MOUL KI# 10281985
MOULa KI# 1492059

Fear is the mind-killer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 am
Posts: 48
Tweek wrote:
Egon wrote:
[spoiler]
(Again, emphasis is mine)
Now this post may actually change my tune. Maybe not opinion but adleast a tune :P
Because now I see two a little different issues. Assuming You can find "in-game fact" outside of the game:
1) Which sites are legitimate? (except of course mystonline.com And Even then, not every post on this forum is "a fact") What sites are truly source of facts?
What makes them legitimate?
For example, let me get the url out of my a.. hat: http://subrest.net/ Is this a source of "in-game facts"? If read there that, for example "Victor Laxman just die today in a car accident" would that be a fact? If so, why?
Because You say so?
Right now there is no way to tell which sites are legitimate (again except mystonline.com), so the only source of fact outside of the game would be this forum. And only posts would count as "fact source" would be RAWA, and other Cyan staff members (staff as in "employer" not "moderator") posts.[/spoiler]



A flawed example, SubRest doesn't try to be a source of in game facts so to speak, the site is a fan restoration group and their content (and canon) they are building.


"A flawed example" - on the contrary. I think almost any fan created page would be good for my example.
"SubRest doesn't try to be a source of in game facts " - actually it does so to speak. Simone explained it quiet well, and I don't think I can do it better. But I can try :)
I wasn't talking about sites which try to "aggregate facts and events about URU". I was talking about the sties who try to "be facts and events about the URU".

Tweek wrote:
Simone wrote:
Sorry Tweek but I don't get the distinction you make about SubRest. The SubRest site deals with the activity of a group of explorers that are present In Cavern, telling the story of a restoration process that may one day lead to Age releases in MOULa, just like the DRC timeline did. I do not see why it does not provide "in game facts". In a couple of years from now, their "projects" page may serve exactly the same function as the old DRC restoration list.


But we're not talking about the future, Egon was talking about past Uru history, of which SubRest doesn't cover. The semantics of where SubRests stuff falls in terms of canon isn't the point here.

"But we're not talking about the future, Egon was talking about past Uru history" - well "todays present" is "tomorrows pass". SubRests is already part of URU history. And I really start to like my random example, because only difference between SubRes and DRC is question "is it canon yet?".

What makes site part of the cannon?

Let's stick with SubRes example for a while: is it part of the canon?
I don't think so. Not yet.
Can it be part of a canon?
Yes, all it's need is a blessing / a stigma from Cyan, (a "seal of approval" if You don't like religious comparing :) ).
But I still don't get one thing: how this "seal of approval" should exists, in what form?
I'm mean, Cyan have problems even properly expose DRC.

Sepaking of which.
Mac_Fife wrote:
Egon wrote:
But, I asked, how newplayer (who isn't tech savy enough to know whois) should know that, yes this site is inded made by Cyan
Some new players possibly aren't even sure if mystonline.com is run by Cyan or fans :D ... The clue here is the Cyan logo and trademark info at the bottom of the pages

Now come on. Now You mocking me :P
"Some new players possibly aren't even sure if mystonline.com is run by Cyan or fan" - well, lest time I check i get my URU Live client from msytonline.com
Unless You referring "run by" to the "who is really in charge here"? Hmm...

EDIT: After seeing Loshem post. Ok, now that is what I'm talking about. I'm tacking everything back about drcistie.org not expose in the game (although I still like idea of "Offical DRC Neigborhood")

_________________
Egon #2052375 Guild of Writers
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:29 am
Posts: 671
Uru was always bigger than the game that it currently is. Even its introduction to the community was via a series of cryptic puzzles involving real life places and spirals hidden at locations hinted at via the now defunct http://www.preafter.com. For many, myself included, the journey really began there. Jeff Zandi was so much more than the old guy with the trailer back then. Even Riven had some out-of-game-but-nonetheless-related goodies in the form of the Spyder Eggs and the websites relating to them.
drcsite.org is one such related website for Uru backstory and canon. Another can be found in the brochures and crates for Sharper's safe in Teledahn, http://www.fishure.biz/

_________________
MOUL KI# 10281985
MOULa KI# 1492059

Fear is the mind-killer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 am
Posts: 48
So as I was saying: hearsays aren't good ways of story telling.

And right now there is no good way of telling user made stories.

For example: today I visited Guild of Writer Pub, and found this message:
Image

Now it might sound like a start of intriguing, interesting, etc. plot line, but as soon You realize that everyone could make "Watcher's Messanger" character, and leave this message in the pub, it instantly loose any charm.

It's just a fan fiction. It's meaningless. It doesn't matter.

So why bother?

_________________
Egon #2052375 Guild of Writers
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:55 pm
Posts: 625
Egon wrote:
Now it might sound like a start of intriguing, interesting, etc. plot line, but as soon You realize that everyone could make "Watcher's Messanger" character, and leave this message in the pub, it instantly loose any charm.

It's just a fan fiction. It's meaningless. It doesn't matter.

So why bother?


That's the attitude that I really don't like. To me, there is an explorer calling himself "Watcher's Messenger." He might be a prankster, or insane, or maybe he really has had some sort of religious experience. I won't know until (if) I meet him in the cavern. But he is canon. His message is canon. Everything that happens in the game is canon, according to my personal beliefs and Cyan's own statements.

The only person who could have written that message is the person who wrote it. Only that person would come up with that specific character, and how they want to play that character. It's just as unique as any story that could have been created by RAWA or Rand.

_________________
MOULagain KI #: 66990

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:31 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Sweden
I came to play URU. DRC was nothing to me. Yeesha I knew. I try to figure out how to get to the answers and gradually other eplorers ( player characters ) word are meaningful not as hints to my gaming, but to understanding something else. I turn from a player into an explorer.

To me it worked
To my surprise I may add because I expected nothing like it. I expected a game of ever more worlds with interaction between players. I did not think I would enjoy having to meet others.*

Also I never went to any site or even official literature to get any back story. I care nort what the makers choose to change in the canon if they have one, As I get my story in fragments in the cavern, Some I knew were wrong, but so is any beginner. Then the game shut down and I read more than I was interested in here.
I need new ages to keep me busy though. But dancing and frolicing with other players is good fun to, and that is where I learned to get engrossed.

Now it heads for an open ended story. There will be puzzly ages added outside the story so things will change.
If the game morphs out of cyan control, so will the story. To keep a canon at that point will need a council and sanctum officium.


*Had the game been free like today I would have avoided contact with other players, but the visitor account was limited and I needed to find out if buying was worth the money and ventured hoods where there were people to talk to about it, was caught, payed and had a lot of fun.
To some this might not be a comment to the thread topic but I think it is.

_________________
--- I know what I like and I like what I know ---


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron