It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anna's Heritage
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:13 pm 

Is Anna's heritage ever mentioned anywhere, or can we safely assume that she is Spanish being that she was born in the Santa Fe de Nuevo México province? And did the Spanish have auburn hair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 pm 

We know she spoke English, and she was of European heritage...she might be an englishwoman working at Mexico.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:03 pm 

Well, the question now becomes, how wide-spread was the teaching of the European languages then and before colonization? Or was is just for diplomacy and international politics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:57 am 

Anna was born in 1694.

Hitana Jadurian (GW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Her father came from Europe, and we can safely assume that her first language was English, since it's the one she passed onto her descendants. I do like to think of her as part Spanish, though, and mediterranean in appearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 pm 

Hitana wrote:
Anna was born in 1694.

This already provides useful information;

the Viseroy of New Spain was well established in what is now New Mexico dating more than 100 years at the time on Anna's birth. It's more than reasonable that she was Spanish more than other nationalities due to the establishnemt of the Viseroyalty of New France's immence expansion across the continent, severing the viseroy from Spain's other claim, Spanish Florida, and thus British America. It is also reasonalbe to assume that there is far less possibilty of her ancestory being British because of the events of the Spanish Armarda in 1588. It's also possible that the Spanish colonies had a disinterest in mingling with the Frence because of Louis XIV's wars with Spain, taking their other European claims, Spanish Netherlands and Franche-Comté, but these events are recent (~1667).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

...but she did speak English, with her father and to her grand/son. This has to be taken into consideration. How could an Englishman fit in there?

And thanks for the overview: the historical setting of Tomahna is fascinating. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 pm 

Well, that does harken back to my original question, how wide spread was English in the European nations? And for that matter, the other European languages? I'd like to find that out to determine how relevant the landspace and history of the viseroy is in judging her background, the info I produced is at this stage really more of a political and diplomatic map of America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:38 pm 

I'll have to get back to you on the map of North America around 1700, but I can tell you that historically, the English were not confined to the British Isles all the time. At one point in the 1500's, England held a sizable amount of land in France. Is Anna's father's occupation ever mentioned? Because if he was a Spanish diplomat, that could help explain his and Anna's knowledge of English.

Steven1987: Ki #05385419

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:17 pm 

He appears to be a geologist since he found silver deposits for a town leader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

A geologist of sorts, and with English as a first language, not second, or Atrus would be speaking Spanish.
I'm thinking more along the lines of "English-speaking person with an unusual job who got to work for Spain, moved there (Spain first or directly to Nueva Espana) and learned the language"... the reasoning being that if it's good enough for Christopher Columbus, it's good enough for Anna's father. :P

I am pretty sure that French, not English, was the vehicular language at the time. And if it wasn't French, it was still Latin or something. Definitely not English, which was a 20th century thing.

Love this thread. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hang on a sec, how do we know Atrus spoke english?

I mean, it comes down to two things.. one being Atrus writing in english to Yeesha (which only says SHE spoke it) and two, that he does in the games.
The games are also localized.. I don't claim he speaks french only because he speaks it in a french localized version..

Really, I'm curious on this. Whatever language Atrus spoke primarily aside from D'ni would be THE indicator, as it's whatever Ti'ana spoke herself when she raised him.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:55 am 
Obduction Backer

I seem to remember RAWA saying something about Atrus speaking English, sadly I wouldn't have the foggiest clue where to look for that post.

so you think I'd understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:15 am 
Obduction Backer

We also know, due to the only time we see his writing, in a pure-canon location.. it is in english - In uru. (In the Cleft.)

As Uru is Canon, so is him writing in English. =)

EDIT: Also, there is the notable feature of Dr. Watson supposedly speaking to Atrus, in english. =)

EDIT2: Also, if Yeesha speaks english as her first language, Atrus would /also/ have to speak it. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I seem to remember RAWA saying something about Atrus speaking English, sadly I wouldn't have the foggiest clue where to look for that post.

Same here, although I can't remember where I read it.

Quote:
As Uru is Canon, so is him writing in English. =)

EDIT: Also, there is the notable feature of Dr. Watson supposedly speaking to Atrus, in english. =)

Ditto on the first which is kind of a conclusive piece of evidence but, as for Dr. Watson... are you referring to End of Ages? I was under the impression that that game was the one they took most artistic licences with. Namely, I can't really think of a reason why Esher would speak English, of all the people in canon, and I believe that those dialogues were actually in D'ni. I can't back it up, of course, it's just how I see the game. Therefore, the final dialogue could be in D'ni as well... and yet, if Atrus took Watson for his actual 'old friend', he wouldn't address him in a language he doesn't know, would he? Whatever, I'm confused. And out of topic. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next