It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Story So Far
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

It seems that a lot of new explorers are interested in the Myst storyline, but I haven't really been able to find an all-encompassing Myst storyline thread. So this thread is intended to point curious explorers to Myst storyline and D'ni history in one convenient place.

------------------------
For a basic overview:
------------------------
Synopsis of the Myst Saga
Wikipedia Articles

-----------------------------------
For complete myst immersion:
-----------------------------------
(in chronological order)
D'ni Timeline
The Book of Ti'ana*
The Book of Atrus*
Myst**
Riven**
The Book of D'ni*
Myst III: Exile**
Myst IV: Revelations
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst***
Uru: To D'ni***
Uru: The Path of the Shell***
Myst V: End of Ages
Myst Online: Uru Live

* - The Myst Reader contains the Book of Ti'ana, Book of Atrus and Book of D'ni.
** - Myst, Riven and Exile are available in Gametap. RealMyst and 10th Anniversary Collection are alternatives.
*** - To D'ni is included in Path of the Shell. Uru: Complete Chronicles contains all 3 uru games.

--------------------
Other Resources:
--------------------
D'ni Desk Reference
Detailed Restoration Timeline
DRC Site
Fan Websites

That should be a good list for anyone who wants to become a fanatic. :D I was pleased to find that the books and games are all pretty inexpensive to buy these days.

Of course, feel free to add your own contributions to the list if you think something important was left out.

Last edited by geekmonger on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:25 pm 

This should be stickied! Great place to stop on the road to History and Myths discussion.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm gonna drop in a shamless plug :wink: and point to one of my websites, the Myst Embassy Nexus, a directory of Myst, Uru and D'ni websites:
http://nexus.mystembassy.net

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:24 pm 

This is awesome, thanks for the links! I'm so excited for this game :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another shameless plug:

http://www.thegreattree.com/media/

The Great Tree's Prologue Documentaries, covering some of the early events in Uru's history. The project isn't finished, but the first few episodes are available to give players a good idea of how the story began to unfold 3 years ago.

The Great Tree's website is among the fan websites, but the media page can be easy to miss if you don't know what to look for :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Hmm, yes.

Worth "sticky-ing."

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Ah yes, I should have put the Great Tree documentaries in there. With all the links it slipped my mind I'm afraid :). They're great little videos, and much more engaging than going through chat logs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:43 pm 

The "D'ni Timeline" link doesn't take you to the specific article, only the Guild of Archivists forum.

Here's the specific link: http://www.dpwr.net/forums/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:40 am 

Fantastic thread folks. Time to do some digging in a detail hounding.

Thank you!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 am 

I haven't played the original Uru (could never get it to work on the computer, and gave up for a few years). But I hear there is some difference between Original (offline?) Uru and it's expansions and the current Uru Live?

If I want to know the full story, should I get the Complete Chronicles and play them, or is the story told in them included in Uru Live?

And should I hold off playing Myst V until I finish the main storyline in Original Uru? I'm kind of confused as to where in the plot it should be played, since it comes after Original Uru on the list but before the current Uru Live...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:25 am 

Itzcuintli wrote:
I haven't played the original Uru (could never get it to work on the computer, and gave up for a few years). But I hear there is some difference between Original (offline?) Uru and it's expansions and the current Uru Live?

If I want to know the full story, should I get the Complete Chronicles and play them, or is the story told in them included in Uru Live?

Almost all the content in Complete Chroicles is included in the actual version of Uru Live, apart from one puzzle (which many found frustrating anyway ;-) ). But Uru Live has also quite a bit of content which you cannot find in the offlineversions.

Quote:
And should I hold off playing Myst V until I finish the main storyline in Original Uru? I'm kind of confused as to where in the plot it should be played, since it comes after Original Uru on the list but before the current Uru Live...

The issue here is that, in a way, Myst V happened "in between" different incarnations of Uru. Anyway, I'd recommend playing Uru before Myst V... The content which was included in Uru after Myst V does not require you to know what happens in Myst V, while Myst V could be a bit confusing at first if you have not played Uru.

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:31 am 

You may want to add a note that, apart from as a part of the Myst Reader, The Book of Atrus is out of print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Might remove that note about GameTap at this point. Only realMyst is still on GameTap. The others were licensed through Ubisoft, so they were removed when that contract ended.

Myst, Riven, and realMyst are all available for purchase through GoG.com, though they add a few new bugs.

Of course, the guy who made this thread doesn't seem to be around anymore :( But perhaps a mod will update it with current links and availability information

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]