It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:08 am 
Obduction Backer

It makes me wonder how much of this stuff Rand, Robyn, and the Cyan folks knew when they began to lay down all of this back story.

Fascinating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:53 am 

Reverend Vader wrote:
It makes me wonder how much of this stuff Rand, Robyn, and the Cyan folks knew when they began to lay down all of this back story.

Fascinating!

I have a feeling it might be RAWA.

Myst Online: Uru Live KI # 11665229

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:40 am 

Here are links to a three parts interview with RAWA, a long time ago, talking about the beginning.

Part 1...
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/game/2005/02/09/interview-with-cyan-game-designer-richard-watson/

Part 2...
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/game/2005/02/10/interview-with-richard-watson-part-ii/

Part 3...http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/game/2005/02/11/interview-with-richard-watson-part-iii/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:07 am 

About what Monkeyboy said about Native American Mythology...

I recently went to Arizona, and at the airport I naturally went around buying gifts for all my friends back home, and ran into some Native American Spirit Stones... guess what kinds of symbols were on them! There was a spiral, just like the new journey cloths, that means 'growth', 'journey', and 'generations'. Another symbol was a hand, with a spiral in the palm, that means 'strength', 'healing', and friendship'. Then there was the sun, which looks almost exactly like the sun on the spiral island, and means 'power' and 'enlightenment'. Last of all there was a maze-like drawing with a man at the top, which means 'life's journey/life's choices'... I'm sure there is a drawing in some Age that looks like that, I'd have to go looking for it, but the whole thing just amazed me! (I bought the stone with the hand and spiral, of course :wink: )

Just putting in my two-cents, but there definitely seem to be a lot of parallels between the D'ni and the Native American culture.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:21 am 

It's also likely that Yeesha took some symbology from the native Americans she met before journeying down into d'ni. (The bahroglyphs in PotS indicate that she had some interaction with them, significant enough to be mentioned in her synopsis of her journey.)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:30 am 

That's probably it, since now that you mention it, the symbols I pointed out are all connected to Yeesha and don't show up in anything strictly D'ni. Still, I thought it was cool 8)

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:06 am 

Owehn wrote:
It's also likely that Yeesha took some symbology from the native Americans she met before journeying down into d'ni. (The bahroglyphs in PotS indicate that she had some interaction with them, significant enough to be mentioned in her synopsis of her journey.)

Interesting...where should I look to see this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:40 am 

The bahroglyphs in PotS were[spoiler]in the lower bahro cave, when lit by a pellet from Er'cana.[/spoiler]They were also part of the background in the original intro movie for Uru.

KI# 45434

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3