It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Saving a life
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:22 am 
Obduction Backer

There's a note in the Kadish Tolesa vault: 'I saved his life'. Whose life did Yeesha save? Is this who is coming?

Kadish? Esher? One of her brothers? Dr Watson?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:33 am 

Yeesha believes she has saved Kadish's life. Most assume this means he was brought back from the dead. Whether she actually did it herself, or someone else did, or even if it happened at all is unknown.

It would make much more sense if you played the game Uru: The Path of the Shell. The Path of the Shell has to do with the story of Kadish, how he believed himself to be the grower and built the 'path of the shell' which you must follow, as Yeesha did.

The following is an excerpt of Yeesha's speech at the end of the game:

[spoiler]"Words fulfilled. Do you believe? I have taken time. You know his body no longer lies in his vault. I have seen new life, HIS new life. And I have followed the shell. Round and round and back again. I tought you the same."[/spoiler]
After that speech, you can then go to Kadish's vault and link to the second version (most refer to this as the "future" version). I admit it is a little confusing for them to just put it there without having you go through Ahnonay, Er'cana, follow the shell then listen to Yeesha's speech. But hopefully those things will come later, but maybe not in the way it was presented offline.

Most assumptions (that I have seen) point to either Kadish or Esher, or Dr. Watson when referring to the phrase "he comes." I personally think it is Kadish, as I don't think Yeesha would make such a dramatic statement over Dr. Watson, and I doubt it's Esher, he's most likely still... wherever.

And if you played through Myst IV, you'd know why it wouldn't be one of her brothers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:43 am 

Great overview Icabod...and yes it is kinda misleading for them to put the future vault in now...yet that is based off of information that might have nothing to do with MOUL...IE the POTS expansion for the Uru offline game.

I always think that she saved Kadish's life and conquered time...however there are a few problems with that such as:

If she could travel through time and bring people back to life with "the powers of the gods" then why couldn't she bring back Calam? and the D'ni from the fall? Or go back and stop the fall completley???

Once again we are forced to wait for this plot to expand...ahnonay is phase 4 on the DRC list :)

EDIT: One explanation for her not going back and truly saving the D'ni etc. is that they are different "versions" of the age on the great tree of possibilities...I forgot to mention that. She could only link to a different version of the age and world where Kadish didn't die...(as stated by RAWA in an invterview on Lockergnome). She couldn't link to our version (probably) and save him there...so the two exist. I suppose the question now is...which one affects us, is Kadish going to be "he" or the big red guy in the glyphs...or is he simply a testament to Yeesha and her powers now?

There will be a quiz next week on this...that is all for today class :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:51 am 

In the age that we know as Kadish Tolesa, Kadish is dead and can't be ressurected. So instead, Yeesha somehow linked to a different version of Tolesa (who's to say which is the 'real' one?) where he wasn't dead and pulled him out.

So it isn't the same Kadish, but we assume it's close enough for jazz.

The significance of this, in my opinion, is that Yeesha has such control over the art as to be able to write not only objects, but people. Atrus couldn't even write a boat. We also see that we can plug things in and out of our Relto at will, something that presumably Yeesha developed. The idea of 'instancing' is very important to everything Art-related that she's done.

Did Yeesha invent 'object oriented writing'? :shock:

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:38 am 

It's worth noting that someone tore up the note in the Kadish vault, and that most of it is missing. Someone (maybe Yeesha) disagreed with either the content or the intent enough to tear the note, so any conclusions we draw from it will be nebulous at best. (Including the conclusion that there was an alternate Kadish running around there.)

Also, Stoneship represented one of Atrus' earliest Ages. By the time of Revelation, he and Catherine were very well experienced in writing manmade objects into Ages..

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:47 am 

Owehn wrote:
Also, Stoneship represented one of Atrus' earliest Ages. By the time of Revelation, he and Catherine were very well experienced in writing manmade objects into Ages..

True. Misplaced hyperbole, I suppose.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:57 am 

I apologize for the not-so-good quality of the pictures here, but these are the note fragments you can find in Kadish's vault:

[spoiler]Image
I have conquered the
stream. These streams, said
to flow of their own
will, now flow where
I di[ctate?]

Father could move only
pages with his words but
I could move Books.
I have

These are the powers
of gods and I now
have this power.

I've saved his life.[/spoiler]
I think it's worthy of note that if you look at the positioning of Yeesha's symbol on each fragment, you'll see that these are four separate fragments from four (possibly only three) separate pages, which means that most of the information was destroyed, perhaps by Yeesha, perhaps by another. Whether what was left was left because of the image it conveys, or just by chance that those are the pieces that survived, we may never know. I mean, these fragments paint a pretty scary picture of Yeesha, maybe that's what he or she wanted us to think. :shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]