It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:34 pm 

How big is the usual Age written by any particular person? I'm reading The Book of D'ni right now, and Atrus seems pretty dismissive on first glance if it's not immediately apparent that there are people around. And with all the talk the D'ni put up during Ti'ana (and this book) about searching every age from top to bottom, you'd think it'd take quite awhile unless most of the ages written were the size of Myst Island or Riven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:41 pm 

Well, you seem to have two questions: What was the largest age ever written, and how big is the typical age.

I will tell you right now, that there are two ages tied in place for the largest.

The Age of D'ni (aka Earth)

and...

The Age of Terahnee.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uhm...

I earnestly believe that the ages of Myst, Myst itself, Riven, etc, are all both non-representational of the 'real' ages (being made in video games that were limited to low-powered computers), and that all ages are pretty large in size, being usually planetary-body sized.

So what is the largest age ever made? Who knows, I doubt many people bothered to use mathematics to measure the circumference of each planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:03 am 
Obduction Backer

You can't really say what the largest Age is, because each Age is an entire alternate universe. Of course, the Descriptive Book doesn't describe everything in the universe, but the Book of Earth (for example) "locked on" to an Age that satisfied whatever requirements were written into the Book, and the rest just happened to come with it.

So, each Age is practically infinite in size (yeah, I know that technically the universe isn't infinite, but it's really really big ;)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, the Writers didn't describe whole universes but just a part of an Age, then the Linking magic created a bridge to an Age that fitted with the description.

That's why there are many islands, enclosed spaces, a cavern, etc.... being small and closed, they're probably easier to Write without contradictions than bigger, wider places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:09 am 

Then what about earth? there is a whole universe that we have watched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:22 am 
Obduction Backer

4dak wrote:
Then what about earth? there is a whole universe that we have watched.

When the Book of Earth was written, I very much doubt that much information was written about the surface. Ri'neref probably focused his attention on the Cavern area. The Book ended up going through all the possible universes and randomly selected one with the Cavern that Ri'neref had described. It just so happened that our earth in our universe was such a place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:22 am 

Well, it's true that in terms of spacial size all ages are quite large... But the actual proportion of the age that the book DEFINES varies quite widely. Some ages are merely small islands in vast seas, like Myst, others are repetitious, like Todelmer.

But the true measure is the measure of complexity.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:00 pm 

Gadren wrote:
When the Book of Earth was written, I very much doubt that much information was written about the surface. Ri'neref probably focused his attention on the Cavern area. The Book ended up going through all the possible universes and randomly selected one with the Cavern that Ri'neref had described. It just so happened that our earth in our universe was such a place.

Actually, he wrote the surface in a way that it would be possible to support life. It's mentioned in the Book of Ti'ana, but I forget where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:57 am 

I was never too clear on this concept, but Writing does NOT create an Age correct? It's more like using a search engine that finds the most accurate match for the terms entered into a book isin't it? And if that is the case, the wouldn't each age be a part of the same universe (making them all the same size, just different locations in that universe.), unless there are multiple/parallel universes in the Myst universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:01 am 

banert wrote:
I was never too clear on this concept, but Writing does NOT create an Age correct? It's more like using a search engine that finds the most accurate match for the terms entered into a book isin't it?
Yes, that's right: Writing a descriptive book to an Age does not create it, but just forms a link to it.
Quote:
And if that is the case, the wouldn't each age be a part of the same universe (making them all the same size, just different locations in that universe.)
Not necessarily...
Quote:
unless there are multiple/parallel universes in the Myst universe.
Bingo! Each Age is its own separate universe.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:28 am 
Obduction Backer

In order for any Age to be viably inhabitable, if must be about the size of Earth, unless the D'ni had some strange tricks to play with gravity. And in order to get any significant diversity of life, you must have a fairly large landmass for them to evolve on. So any of the Ages we've seen that have a considerable number of species, be it Myst or Riven or Haven or Edanna, there must be a mainland somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Fleshing out some additional details to what has already been mentioned and partly summarizing, a descriptive book was written. Into the book the details were set out concerning the elements desired in that age. Such as a breathable atmosphere, water and characteristics of the flora and fauna and no doubt weight factors for the appropriate gravity to be present. Again as mentioned, like a search engine, once written with the correct ink and paper, a link was formed that as closely matched the descriptive book as could be found. Hence the art element of the Writer's Guild as there were certain skills required to create a descriptive book that would form a link to an age that was in balance and not one about to tear itself apart. Some folks write better then others as we know and writing is a learned ability.

Even with great skill though, the link was formed to an age that most closely matched what had been written. Most closely matched is the key, as because the age in fact already existed amongst the limbs of the great tree of possibilities which are for all intents and purposes infinite, there could be other harmful elements present. Hence the need, when first confirming an age as safe, for the use of maintainer's suits, the light and heavy ones seen in Gahreesen, for instance.

At least that is my take, mostly from reading the Book of Atrus and the Book of D'ni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Storyteller wrote:
In order for any Age to be viably inhabitable, if must be about the size of Earth, unless the D'ni had some strange tricks to play with gravity. And in order to get any significant diversity of life, you must have a fairly large landmass for them to evolve on. So any of the Ages we've seen that have a considerable number of species, be it Myst or Riven or Haven or Edanna, there must be a mainland somewhere.

With the advances in astronomy in recent years, it seems more and more likely that we really do not know very much about what conditions may or may not give rise to planets, let alone inhabitable ones. (interesting article by the way - http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1511/is_n9_v18/ai_19689568/pg_1)

Also, some ages we've seen in the Myst saga already are quite surprising. Teledahn has 5-minute long "days" and a rotational axis that keeps the sun constantly above the equator, yet the weather is incredibly mild and life is flourishing there.

So personally, I think there are probably lots of surprising situations that could give rise to a great deal of biodiversity. (And OOC, I hope Cyan feels the same way.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:08 am 

geekmonger wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

With the advances in astronomy in recent years, it seems more and more likely that we really do not know very much about what conditions may or may not give rise to planets, let alone inhabitable ones. (interesting article by the way - http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1511/is_n9_v18/ai_19689568/pg_1)

Yes, but we have seen that players always seem to have the same weight in Uru, regardless of what Age they are in, unless they are really good fakers (which indeed they are - I see them hover in midair all the time), which means that unless mass is invisibly added or subtracted to us, each planet has the same overall gravitational pull.

geekmonger wrote:
Also, some ages we've seen in the Myst saga already are quite surprising. Teledahn has 5-minute long "days" and a rotational axis that keeps the sun constantly above the equator, yet the weather is incredibly mild and life is flourishing there.

Yes, I imagine all that rotation would cause it to elongate rather severely - including the heavier materials making up that planet's crust.

Anyhow, I often think about those first books from Atrus in Myst. I believe that at the time they were thinking that the writer actually was creating those Ages - check out all the funky equipment, after all, seems powerful enough for the job (well, not really, but hey, science fiction is usually like that). Then later on they moved away from that (or it was planned all along - either way, just my belief, really don't have the scoop one way or another), and the rationale would fit if it becomes clear that Atrus didn't know that he wasn't actually creating Ages.

Of course, the bit about the stone ship and the boys begs disbelief with this idea, since it's pretty clear in the journals that he wrote it in. Unless he linked to a universe where the boys (Elliot et al.) did not actually meet "our" Atrus until after he has linked to an Age with the stone ship (which is indeed possible, as I imagine looking at permutations of the infinite possible universes and making "adjustments" might fool one into thinking they were in control of the Ages), that is.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next