It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Questions about...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:25 pm 

Hello!

I have some questions about the maintainers! I have already been to Gahreesen, but need information from another time and I have searched the Internet but, didn't find a lot.

So the questions are:

When did the maintainers find out that deretheni stone is so hard and what did they use before for the maintainers suits?

Was the technique in the maintainer suits always the same? I only have the describtions from "The Book of D'ni" but these suits may be from the wrong time too, for what I need.

Another thing that would interest me is: Did the D'ni have weapons?

I know that Veovis and A'Gaeris had daggers. I don't want to know about any biological or chemical weapons. I played Riven some days ago and saw that cane, Gehn had.

What I would like to know about that cane is:

Did the D'ni use this cane too?
If not; is it D'ni design but Gehn made changes to it?
If neither question one nor question is right; is it made from the Rivenese?

I hope you can answer my questions? A discussion on this topic is okay too!

Greets Hitana

Hitana Jadurian (GW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Deretheni was discovered (I think discovered in a laboratory, not in nature) in 5236 DE under king Emen and first used in Maintainer suits in 5473 DE. I don't know what was used before but, according to the Me'emen book, it was nowhere as good.

There have been several models of maintainer suits during the centuries, but they all seem to be two-part: a "skin" suit, more manageable and flexible, and a bigger external suit, harder and more resistant but also clumsy and difficult to move. In Gahreesen we can see some models of the next-to-last external suits and skin suits; when Laxman goes around to re-open the Wall, we'll be able to see (and wear) the latest model of skin suit developed before the Fall.

The D'ni had weapons way beyond daggers. Veovis and A'gaeris stashed a huge amount of weapons to use in the riots, and Gehn's Heek is definitely of D'ni origin in design, if not a D'ni item itself.

PS: can you change your thread title to something more informative, like "Questions about the Maintainers and D'ni weapons"?

Last edited by Ian Atrus on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:56 pm 

Well, as there may be other questions about other things, I rather would leave the thread title as it is.

Thanks for the answers. You have been very helpful! :D

If someone else wants to say something, feel free to do that!

Greets Hitana

Hitana Jadurian (GW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:56 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:

The D'ni had weapons way beyond daggers. Veovis and A'gaeris stashed a huge amount of weapons to use in the riots, and Gehn's Heek is definitely of D'ni origin in design, if not a D'ni item itself.

From what I remember of that time, it seemed to me they collected things like pitchforks and rakes and spears (an Ogre is coming! :D), I don't ever remember anything mentioned like guns or cannons or catapults, of course, they may not have mentioned what they actually had, and if someone has the quote feel free to quote, but I'm WAAAYYY too lazy to look it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:12 pm 

Gehn's Heek was powered by his custom "power marbles" (modified firemarbles) so doesn't that mean that it isn't a D'ni weapon, but just a Gehn weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:53 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
There have been several models of maintainer suits during the centuries, but they all seem to be two-part: a "skin" suit, more manageable and flexible, and a bigger external suit, harder and more resistant but also clumsy and difficult to move. In Gahreesen we can see some models of the next-to-last external suits and skin suits; when Laxman goes around to re-open the Wall, we'll be able to see (and wear) the latest model of skin suit developed before the Fall.

I made a quick photo-tour, which raised some questions.
I'm guessing that's the skin suit? It seems a bit more heavy than the model we can wear when the wall is open, so is it an older model?

More importantly,
What the devil is this thing? I could see how it might be the bigger external suit, in which case I can see how it would indeed be difficult to move. Is it a maintainers suit, or something different altogether?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:27 pm 

Tayr wrote:
What the devil is this thing? I could see how it might be the bigger external suit, in which case I can see how it would indeed be difficult to move. Is it a maintainers suit, or something different altogether?

Have you read the Book of D'ni? Atrus and his friends are using the large maintainer suites to survey unknown books. The suites are build to get the wearer in an age, take some samples and automatically link back. You can't move inside a heavy suite and you can barely see but they are extremely armored. One person survived a supernova for 10 seconds inside a heavy suite.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:52 pm 

That would explain the lack of movable hands and parts. Cool. I need to finish reading through the Book of D'ni. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:55 pm 

I think it was 2 seconds, but the point still stands. It wasn't really necessary to move around in the external suit - its only purpose was to link with the wearer and provide protection on the other side.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I want to use these:

http://www.martiniere.com/imagepages/secondsuit.htm

(Hey, maybe the those big things in Garrison are the above?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:02 am 

It looks like another model of the exterior suit. (Definitely cooler, too.)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:33 am 

That could definitely be the same thing (or another model of it). The one in Gahreesen has stubby little arms, but they look like they could fit attachments on - maybe they can customize what sampling tools the suit has by swapping the arms. The legs are missing too, but that's probably for storage reasons, or maybe to allow the user to get inside.

Pretty cool in any case! That concept art is going to be my desktop wallpaper now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:30 am 

That 2nd thing has no legs..... not much of a suit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tayr wrote:
I'm guessing that's the skin suit? It seems a bit more heavy than the model we can wear when the wall is open, so is it an older model?

Yep, I think so. Maybe that particular model was waiting to be brought to the "showcase" part of the well along with the rest of the Maintainers paraphernalia. Or maybe it just was there for show when some D'ni big hat paid a visit to the training centre.

Quote:
What the devil is this thing? I could see how it might be the bigger external suit, in which case I can see how it would indeed be difficult to move.

Yep, I think it's a model of the big, external suit. Remember, they just had to link in, take a look around and maybe some samples of air and other things, and link back; they didn't have to be agile, or move at all.

About the legs, maybe they're in closed position and they open if the Maintainer needs to move around; or maybe that's the upper part of a suit and it gets attached to a lower part specific for the different kinds of operation.

Last edited by Ian Atrus on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:02 pm 

Wow, what a good artwork! :shock:

Did the D'ni always had a skin suit and another suit?

Hitana Jadurian (GW)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next