It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:48 pm 

I’ve been asked to help clarify the Log viewing policy (or tools in general) so I will try my best to give a good broad statement that can be helpful. We would like to thank the Mods for their efforts in managing this ambiguous matter.

The Rehearsal testers were all picked because of the different talents you posses. Let’s just say you’re “The cream of the crop”. Some of you are active with the community; others have some coding background. All of your talents, combined of course with the sheer awesomeness of the Cyan team, place our game testing bar above every MMO out there.

So, when it comes to using tools to “hack” the game, we just have to be careful. I’m not totally against it. I just don’t want it to be used in the wrong way. So, maybe I’ll list out the “never do” policy and also explain the benefits I see.

Never…

...use a tool to figure out the game play of an Age, puzzle, or occurrence. If you do this then you are not testing how the real world will be able to solve a puzzle when it goes out to Live. If you can’t figure out how to do something based off the clues in the game, then quite possibly you have a bug that needs to be written up.

…share the solution to an Age or puzzle or awareness of a game play event that you’ve happened upon while using a tool for debugging purposes.

…give out tool information to the general public. No matter how helpful this could be, there will be someone that can use whatever information that was helpful and try to manipulate it against the game.

In Rehearsal (only), it is ok to…

…use tools for debugging. It’s great to get this extra detailed information. In fact, we have implemented fixes based on code or details provided by members of the community using log viewers and such. Just make sure it doesn’t break the above 3 rules.

…teach someone how to use a tool for debugging purposes (again, Rehearsal only). Realize that with the information being shared, your testing has now gone to a different level and you will need to work extra hard to avoid using this knowledge to prevent yourselves from testing the way the real world would encounter the game.

…ask questions about a tool (Rehearsal only) to help you supply better information in regards to a test or bug submittal.

The only thing I ask is that if sensitive material (i.e. information gained from looking in the logs) is discussed in the Rehearsal forums then please use the spoiler tags in the message - or add “spoiler” to your topic. Not everyone will be interested in discussions of this type.

I hope this sums it up for you all.

Please note that if anyone is caught maliciously hacking the game, all bets are off and the gloves come off too.

Lbell

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]