It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:58 pm 

greypiffle wrote:
here is the response I got back:
Quote:
It helps if you jump as you are hitting the kickable object, I know it can be a pain but sadly our physics engine is doing its best.

That's actually a good response... Now we know Cyan doesn't like PhysX either. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:03 pm 

I have noted that a few of the rocks are indeed harder to move but i have always been able to move them by changing my angle of approach, sometimes moving the rock AWAY from where i want to go and then back...they do all move eventually and or you can use the fish trap or bones to hold down the plates too. :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I created a new avvie to test this again, and again, I had no problems. :?

PhysX... is the physics engine used in Unreal Tournament 3, so one would think that it isn't that bad. Also, there have been several updates to the engine since the version that Cyan is using....

Ki #782729

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tofer wrote:
PhysX... is the physics engine used in Unreal Tournament 3, so one would think that it isn't that bad. Also, there have been several updates to the engine since the version that Cyan is using....

FPS games have different physics requirements. You'll never notice these system specific differences in a fast action game. For a subtle game like Uru the physics have to be very precise though.

I agree that a PhysX engine update would be good. However, this will require a long and thorough regression test. Maybe Cyan could plan this for the hiatus period?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:22 pm 

I think the problem is not the physics engine itself, but Uru's implementation of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Strange. I've never had a problem with this in any avatar.

I've only done it walking, never running, though. The one frustration is that the avatar tends to walk up the stone instead of kicking it if you approach it from the "pointy" end. If you approach from the larger end, it's not hard to move. Small kicks work best.

Oh, and third person is the way to go here.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:45 am 
Obduction Backer

What adds to the strangeness of this physics issue is that the baskets in Eder Gira is so incredibly well behaved, while the kickables in Teledahn, baskets included, is such a pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:32 pm 

hmmmm I just tried it and had little to no trouble moving anything. still the anoying walking up the sides of some objects, but other then that things moved fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another thing: The large stones seem to be roughly cone shaped, and they roll that way too, so unless you can shove them along their axis from the large end (and they are never pointed the right way for that in the default Teledahn) you have to keep in mind they move in arcs, not straight lines. This means (a) they never roll the way you aim and (b) you almost inevitably end up walking up the stone at some point, no matter how careful you are. There seems to be a similar "catch" connected to every movable in the prison. I firmly believe the designers built this frustration in on purpose to make the puzzle more challenging. I'm trying to remember to use different objects in this puzzle to test what works; been running it on automatic too long. :wink:

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:38 am 

I've discovered that the bones and baskets work best- and the stones work if ya give em a little nudge while walkin'- it takes practice- but I'm getting better at it through time- :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2